Entertainment

Demonic, a supernatural sci-fi thriller written and directed by Neill Blomkamp (District 9, Elysium, Chappie) - Aug 20th

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 9:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
13782 posts
17111 upvotes
Toronto

Demonic, a supernatural sci-fi thriller written and directed by Neill Blomkamp (District 9, Elysium, Chappie) - Aug 20th

this "under-the-radar" movie was filmed in British Columbia over the summer with on-set COVID-19 protocols in place

Official Teaser

In Demonic, a young woman unleashes terrifying demons when supernatural forces at the root of a decades-old rift between mother and daughter are revealed.

The film stars Carly Pope, Chris William Martin, and Nathalie Boltt.

Demonic arrives in theaters, on Digital Rental, and VOD on August 20, 2021.

Official Behind-the-Scenes 8mm Clip

Neill Blomkamp Made a Top Secret Horror Movie During the COVID-19 Pandemic
It's his first feature film since 2015's Chappie.

https://www.ign.com/articles/neill-blom ... 9-pandemic
Neill Blomkamp has recently stepped behind the camera again to film an entire supernatural horror movie during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

According to Deadline, the "under-the-radar" movie was filmed in British Columbia over the summer with on-set COVID-19 protocols in place. Blomkamp is said to have penned the script for the movie, though plot details are being kept under wraps for the time being. The report adds that the movie is something that Blomkamp has "always wanted to make and is expected to be finished around spring next year."

Backed by AGC Studios, Blomkamp enlisted long-time collaborator Julian Clarke to edit the movie while Byron Kopman boarded the project as the director of photography. The cast for the movie is said to be made up of mostly Canadian actors and it is reported to have a "strong sci-fi and VFX component in keeping with Blomkamp's previous three movies."
Destiny is all
12 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20692 posts
6901 upvotes
Toronto
"Blomkamp is said to have penned the script for the movie"

This is a bit of a caution sign for me. Blomkamp and his partner Terri Tatchell don't seem to have the greatest track record when it comes to writing dialogue. Yes District 9 was amazing, but most of the movie was ad-libbed by Sharlto Copley.

Dialogue in Elysium and Chappie was not very good. In fact, I couldn't even sit through the entire Chappie movie.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
22829 posts
7988 upvotes
Are they EVER going to do a sequel to District 9 or is that guy stuck as a prawn forever?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2128 posts
1461 upvotes
Toronto
District 9 was good. Elysium was decent. Chappie was awful and this one seems to be ok.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
13782 posts
17111 upvotes
Toronto
New interview at nwe.com

‘District 9’ director Neill Blomkamp: “At its height, COVID felt like science fiction”
The master of social sci-fi is back with a lockdown-shot possession horror – he takes us inside his virtual reality

lpin14 wrote: District 9 was good. Elysium was decent. Chappie was awful and this one seems to be ok.
Blomkamp is not interested in doing a sequel..

He exploded onto the scene with District 9 and Elysium before crashing back down to Earth with Chappie, a film that got dragged through the critical mill with a lead CGI robot star compared to Star Wars pariah Jar Jar Binks in a dozen different reviews. Ending with a tease for a second film, it’s a sequel Blomkamp doesn’t want anything to do with.

“You know, honestly, everything to do with Chappie is so negative to me that it’s hard to describe how little I would want to ever make a sequel to it or do anything else in that world,” he says. “But what is interesting is that I saw it again a few months ago and I totally loved it. It’s a strange movie. It’s weird on all levels. It shouldn’t exist. But it was exactly what I wanted to make, and I love that about Chappie. But I don’t want to go anywhere near it again. Ever!”

DougO wrote: Are they EVER going to do a sequel to District 9 or is that guy stuck as a prawn forever?
Next up for Blomkamp is Inferno, the extra-terrestrial murder mystery that would have been shot in place of Demonic if COVID hadn’t got in the way. After that, he’s onto the only sequel he is interested in making, District 10.

“For a decade there never really seemed to be a good reason to make a sequel,” he says. “It just didn’t feel like there was a justifiable reason to go back to that world in a way where there was something to actually say. All of the experience of my adolescence growing up in South Africa was defined by what District 9 said, and that was the end of it. But I saw a documentary about a well-known socio-political topic two years ago and that had a massive effect on me – it made me understand how this sequel could have a real reason for existing. The second that clicked, I just began working. It’s far into the writing stage now, and it’s going pretty well, but I’m just super creatively into what we’ve come up with and I just want to throw everything into it.”
Destiny is all
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
13782 posts
17111 upvotes
Toronto
Demonic star Carly Pope breaks down what it was like acting in front of 260 cameras on set for the film's impressive use of vol-cap technology
https://www.cbr.com/demonics-carly-pope-interview/
While Neill Blomkamp's Chappie didn't receive rave reviews at the time of its release, its inventive use of motion-capture work on screen paved the way for many future science-fiction films to utilize similar special effects. With Demonic, Blomkamp takes an even bigger creative swing by using volumetric capture -- a 3-D filming technique that captures an actor as a 3-D object that can then be placed into any 3-D environment -- to not only tell his thriller tale, but to demonstrate the technology's storytelling potential.
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
3618 posts
2489 upvotes
B.C.
EugW wrote: "Blomkamp is said to have penned the script for the movie"

This is a bit of a caution sign for me. Blomkamp and his partner Terri Tatchell don't seem to have the greatest track record when it comes to writing dialogue. Yes District 9 was amazing, but most of the movie was ad-libbed by Sharlto Copley.

Dialogue in Elysium and Chappie was not very good. In fact, I couldn't even sit through the entire Chappie movie.
I have to agree, but you did one better than me -- I couldn't even start "Chappie" after seeing the trailer and couldn't get through "Elysium" either. I didn't realize a lot of the dialogue for "District 9" was ad-libbed, but that makes sense. Some good directors aren't great writers. For sure the casts of those films weren't the problem. Blomkamp made a very memorable and unique film with "District 9." He definitely has great ideas, but perhaps Tatchell isn't really the one to be his partner, from a dialogue POV. Maybe Copley should be involved in the writing since he seems to be Blomkamp's muse.
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
13782 posts
17111 upvotes
Toronto
From Linus Tech Tips YouTube channel

Capturing 920K Video! - HOLY $H!T

We were invited to the set of Neill Blomkamp's new movie Demonic to check out their crazy Volumetric Capture setup.
Destiny is all
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
13782 posts
17111 upvotes
Toronto
Want to know more about that demon-hunting task force in Neill Blomkamp's Demonic?

Check out what Blomkamp told us about his large scale idea for the operation on The Witching Hour!

Neill Blomkamp Breaks Down Demonic - The Witching Hour

On this episode of The Witching Hour, filmmaker Neill Blomkamp joins Haleigh and Perri to discuss his new horror movie Demonic, from the unusual technology he used to create VR landscapes of the human mind to a full-on spoiler breakdown of the ending.

Neill Blomkamp Explains His Large Scale Idea of the Vatican Battling Dictators Possessed by Demons
"Could mass murderers in history have been attributed to demonic possession?"

https://collider.com/demonic-explained- ... exorcisms/
Destiny is all