Automotive

Demo's - Dealers Saying Not Worth It?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2015 12:18 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 4, 2006
2896 posts
223 upvotes
Burlington

Demo's - Dealers Saying Not Worth It?

Going to rehash this thread since I didn't really get a response to my previous question.

Been hunting for a price point and asked around about some demo models and dealers are telling me constantly that its not worth buying a demo.

I understand that demos are driven around, not always with the best driver behind the wheel, but with a reduce cost and not having to pay freight/pdi is it still not worth the expense? I guess I'm looking to bump up a trim level but its just a tad more than I want to spend however on a demo I can get the better trim at the same or less price as the base trim levels.

Is it really not worth it at all or is that more of the dealers wanting to sell/get more on a new piece?
41 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
32082 posts
19307 upvotes
Toronto
really ? 14,000km and dealer calls it a demo. So, I guess when this car reaches 100,000km, then they will call it pre-owned. People must have drove this car right to the ground from this kind of mileage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 4, 2006
2896 posts
223 upvotes
Burlington
booblehead wrote: really ? 14,000km and dealer calls it a demo. So, I guess when this car reaches 100,000km, then they will call it pre-owned. People must have drove this car right to the ground from this kind of mileage.
Sigh... up to! They seem to range from 5-15k range in KM's.
Penalty Box
Aug 16, 2014
1043 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto, ON
i consider anything over 1000km used period!

typical good test drive is around 5-10km loop. so like 80-90 test drives per vehicle over a 4-6month period.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 4, 2006
2896 posts
223 upvotes
Burlington
Well its used regardless but I'm seeing mixed comments about demo's qualifying for incentives still on top of current price and same with financing rates... but then I see on some of the dealer sites that they want 6.99% financing rates. I'd sooner spend the extra 2-3k and get 1.99 than 6.99... so I'm just looking for people's general experiences.
Sr. Member
Nov 20, 2014
643 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto, ON
14,000km for a demo...lol def bs story on the cars history
PM if you have ANY questions about zoomers wireless
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7179 posts
3421 upvotes
Germany
samyou92 wrote: 14,000km for a demo...lol def bs story on the cars history
It actually varies by manufacturer. My sister works for Hyundai Canada's head office and receives a company car as a part of her compensation. They allow her to drive the car up to 15,000 km, afterwards they are sold as demos. When I was consulting for Toyota/Lexus Corporate (before they split them up), it was 10,000 km.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8615 posts
2380 upvotes
Mississauga
samyou92 wrote: 14,000km for a demo...lol def bs story on the cars history
I`m always amazed that people that have never worked at a dealership call bs all the time.
booblehead wrote: really ? 14,000km and dealer calls it a demo. So, I guess when this car reaches 100,000km, then they will call it pre-owned. People must have drove this car right to the ground from this kind of mileage.
DBDphotography wrote: i consider anything over 1000km used period!

typical good test drive is around 5-10km loop. so like 80-90 test drives per vehicle over a 4-6month period.
Demo`s can have up to 20,000 km. Most dealership`s salesman, manager`s, owner`s, service advisor`s all have demo`s.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
1397 posts
179 upvotes
Western Montreal
unshavenyak wrote: It actually varies by manufacturer. My sister works for Hyundai Canada's head office and receives a company car as a part of her compensation. They allow her to drive the car up to 15,000 km, afterwards they are sold as demos. When I was consulting for Toyota/Lexus Corporate (before they split them up), it was 10,000 km.
Agreed. My friend recently picked up a Mazda 5 GT that was a demo with 17,000km on it and had been in service for 5 months. Mazda still considers it a demo at that point; it was the shuttle for service, driven primarily by one person - a 68 yr old gentleman who was their only shuttle driver. She got it for $8000 below MSRP, no freight or PDI (as it should be), winter tires, and Mazda financing at 0.99% so a heck of a deal...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
32082 posts
19307 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote: I`m always amazed that people that have never worked at a dealership call bs all the time.





Demo`s can have up to 20,000 km. Most dealership`s salesman, manager`s, owner`s, service advisor`s all have demo`s.

They can call it whatever (executive driven, headquarter employee lease return, marketing show vehicle, etc.) .... to us, it's used. Therefore, one should consider the car as used and priced it accordingly.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 23, 2009
21258 posts
7666 upvotes
Toronto
I just bought a "demo" with 29000 km on it, and it was well over two years old. It too was used as a passenger shuttle. Even on the documentation it was not listed as "used". However, my take on this is that it really doesn't matter what they call it, as long as you get the appropriate price for it, etc. with the realization you may not be eligible for certain incentives, etc.

After negotiation, my "demo" came with a 1/3rd discount off the original price of the car as well as pre-owned certification (that normally only "used" cars get), so I didn't care about any incentives. And since I was paying up front, I didn't care about financing rates either.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8615 posts
2380 upvotes
Mississauga
booblehead wrote: They can call it whatever (executive driven, headquarter employee lease return, marketing show vehicle, etc.) .... to us, it's used. Therefore, one should
consider the car as used and priced it accordingly.
You can call it anything you want but when you by a demo it is marked on the sales contract as a demo. Not new not used but a demo. The manufacture lowers the cost to the dealer each month the demo is in service. So they do price it accordingly.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4331 upvotes
Demo is just a word that dealers use to justify the 99.875% asking price of their used car
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2628 posts
515 upvotes
Manitoba
booblehead wrote: They can call it whatever (executive driven, headquarter employee lease return, marketing show vehicle, etc.) .... to us, it's used. Therefore, one should consider the car as used and priced it accordingly.
Executive driven is supposed to be equivalent to Lady driven that the stealerships sell? Lol
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
32082 posts
19307 upvotes
Toronto
of course the dealer has to marked the car as demo on the bill of sale, as it was advertised and marketed as demo. Dealer is not going to advertise it as demo and mark it as used on the bill of sale. Otherwise, dispute and false advertising will result with potential legal action possibly filed by the purchaser.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
32082 posts
19307 upvotes
Toronto
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Demo is just a word that dealers use to justify the 99.875% asking price of their used car
+ dealer is also asking for freight and pdi ... pdi for what ? The car has been driven all over the city for thousands of kms. Is it like you buy it as demo and pay this, dealer is going to give it a wash and then calls it 1000 pts pdi checklist done.
Member
May 14, 2012
396 posts
88 upvotes
PICKERING
One thing to remember is that it will always show up as having been registered commercially which will lower future trade in value (similar to a rental) since dealers won't go through insurance so any accidents won't show on a carproof/carfax report.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8615 posts
2380 upvotes
Mississauga
Asker123 wrote: Executive driven is supposed to be equivalent to Lady driven that the stealerships sell? Lol
Executive driven is the vehicles that the big wigs in head office drive and if there big enough in the company there wives get one too.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8615 posts
2380 upvotes
Mississauga
booblehead wrote: + dealer is also asking for freight and pdi ... pdi for what ? The car has been driven all over the city for thousands of kms. Is it like you buy it as demo and pay this, dealer is going to give it a wash and then calls it 1000 pts pdi checklist done.
The pdi is done before the car is put on the road. The freight is charges to the dealer on every new car they get.

Top