• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2019 10:24 am
[OP]
Feb 21, 2010
878 posts
252 upvotes
Scarborough

Denmark - 10 years at minus 0.5%; 20 years mortgage at 0%; 30 years at 0.5%

In Denmark’s US$495 billion mortgage-backed covered bond market, another milestone was reached on Wednesday as Nordea Bank Abp said it will start offering 20-year fixed-rate loans that charge no interest.

The development follows an announcement earlier in the week by Jyske Bank A/S, which said it will start issuing 10-year mortgages at a coupon of minus 0.5 per cent. Danes can also now get 30-year mortgages at 0.5 per cent, and Nordea recently adjusted its prospectus to allow for home loans up to 30 years at negative interest rates.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/20-year-mor ... -1.1298311
21 replies
[OP]
Feb 21, 2010
878 posts
252 upvotes
Scarborough
To add - these are fixed rate products.

romeocanada wrote: In Denmark’s US$495 billion mortgage-backed covered bond market, another milestone was reached on Wednesday as Nordea Bank Abp said it will start offering 20-year fixed-rate loans that charge no interest.

The development follows an announcement earlier in the week by Jyske Bank A/S, which said it will start issuing 10-year mortgages at a coupon of minus 0.5 per cent. Danes can also now get 30-year mortgages at 0.5 per cent, and Nordea recently adjusted its prospectus to allow for home loans up to 30 years at negative interest rates.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/20-year-mor ... -1.1298311
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2018
1598 posts
2426 upvotes
Toronto
Wait until negative rates come to Canada. Bears will lose their minds.
I do not need approval, I do not need friends. I do what I want.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1855 posts
881 upvotes
CondoMan98 wrote: Wait until negative rates come to Canada. Bears will lose their minds.
But, but... RE in Australia is crashing!
Mar 18, 2015
218 posts
160 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
How much are houses there and what are the requirements for owning/living in Denmark?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1855 posts
881 upvotes
wolfs004 wrote: Well Denmark housing prices are only up 10% over the last 12 years. Looks healthy to me.
https://tradingeconomics.com/denmark/housing-index
To be fair, RE in continental EU is generally not very hot, save for a few booming cities like Amsterdam (basically competitors to London). Since the official language is not English, there just aren't many highly skilled and ambitious immigrants from the developing world flooding to the major cities. Even though I'm a bull, I still want to acknowledge that interest rates in the English speaking world is unlikely to go as low as in Europe or Japan, as the relatively high level of skilled immigration and nominal total GDP growth means central banks don't have to cut rates to stimulate economy as much.
Dec 25, 2015
530 posts
325 upvotes
Canada
BlueSolstice wrote: To be fair, RE in continental EU is generally not very hot, save for a few booming cities like Amsterdam (basically competitors to London). Since the official language is not English, there just aren't many highly skilled and ambitious immigrants from the developing world flooding to the major cities. Even though I'm a bull, I still want to acknowledge that interest rates in the English speaking world is unlikely to go as low as in Europe or Japan, as the relatively high level of skilled immigration and nominal total GDP growth means central banks don't have to cut rates to stimulate economy as much.
As the rest of the world is going to negative interest rates the U.S. dollar is continuing to strenghten, further fueling the U.S. economy. What ensues is the inevitable, the Fed will be forced to raise rates causing a recession, and will then in turn bring back rates back to zero as it did in 2009.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1632 posts
1464 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wolfs004 wrote: As the rest of the world is going to negative interest rates the U.S. dollar is continuing to strenghten, further fueling the U.S. economy. What ensues is the inevitable, the Fed will be forced to raise rates causing a recession, and will then in turn bring back rates back to zero as it did in 2009.
This makes no sense. Raising rates will further strengthen the dollar
Feb 20, 2017
88 posts
60 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
There is a chance that the next downturn will be inflationary given that asset prices across all classes are inflated right now. When the next downturn hits and the massive sell off begins, you will see inflation creeping into everyday things. This will force the FED to raise rates. I fully see a bigger QE coming and I am not entirely sure it will have the same impact as the last one.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
9587 posts
7175 upvotes
Bears — throw in the towel... it’s ok
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2010
1381 posts
1073 upvotes
Ontario
CondoMan98 wrote: Wait until negative rates come to Canada. Bears will lose their minds.
So funny, are you expecting banks to pay you to borrow from them?
People here have no idea what are talking about, but hey, looks good on RE front. And will get you few more upvotes!
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1632 posts
1464 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Isostar wrote: So funny, are you expecting banks to pay you to borrow from them?
People here have no idea what are talking about, but hey, looks good on RE front. And will get you few more upvotes!
Well.. Yes effectively.