Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Denon

Lava HOT! Now 30% off (previously 25%) all Denon products with coupon!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2023 3:44 pm
Aug 14, 2011
428 posts
159 upvotes
Calgary
I have a 7.1.4 atmos setup and I can’t honestly see the point of having six speakers in my ceiling. I am plenty happy with the 4. Top gun maverick was an amazing atmos experience with just the 4 ceilings.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2002
6065 posts
2507 upvotes
TheTVguy wrote: Anyone have experience receiving packages from DHL? Denon was due today but for some reason it's travelling back to From where it was 2 days ago which seems odd so was wondering if anyone else experienced this to?
Had the same experience, was supposed to be delivered in Calgary today but now supposedly pushed back to Dec 12.

For Cincinnati, I'm guessing that they started working on the customs paperwork on Monday but the receiver was actually warehoused in California and only got to them on the 30, where it's hasn't updated since the morning.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
2668 posts
1517 upvotes
Toronto
TheTVguy wrote: Anyone have experience receiving packages from DHL? Denon was due today but for some reason it's travelling back to From where it was 2 days ago which seems odd so was wondering if anyone else experienced this to?

----- Mon Nov 29

16:09 Local time
Shipment picked up
ONTARIO, CA - USA

Monday November, 28 2022 18:59 Local time
Customs clearance status updated. Note - The Customs clearance process may start while the shipment is in transit to the destination.
CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA

----- Tues Nov 29

11:44 Local time
Processed at ONTARIO - USA
ONTARIO, CA - USA

14:57 Local time
Shipment has departed from a DHL facility ONTARIO - USA
ONTARIO, CA - USA

19:38 Local time
Shipment is in transit to destination
LOS ANGELES GATEWAY, CA - USA

20:07 Local time
Shipment has departed from a DHL facility LOS ANGELES GATEWAY - USA
LOS ANGELES GATEWAY, CA - USA

----- Wed Nov 30

Wednesday November, 30 2022 02:54 Local time
Arrived at DHL Sort Facility CINCINNATI HUB - USA
CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA

Wednesday November, 30 2022 09:09 Local time
Processed at CINCINNATI HUB - USA
CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA
I think for you that is "Ontario, California, USA".... so it hasnt actually left the US yet. Comparing to mine.. it looks like maybe, they sent to Ontario, California instead of Ontario, Canada...?

Not sure what is going on there.. Mine also started off in Cincinnati... but arrived at the Ontario, Canada HUB this morning at 4:56 am... "clearance processing is complete at Ontario Service Area Canada".. "Processed at Ontario Service Area Canada"... so I guess the next step will be "out for delivery" later today... but will have to wait and see.

Yesterday the expected delivery was yesterday.. right now it says expected delivery: "info unavailable"

so not sure yet.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2009
6219 posts
15392 upvotes
ABB Midnight Rider
timm3h wrote: I know this is a bit off topic. What is a better setup to run? 7.4.4 or 5.4.6?
SAVINGSTAR wrote: I have a 7.1.4 atmos setup and I can’t honestly see the point of having six speakers in my ceiling. I am plenty happy with the 4. Top gun maverick was an amazing atmos experience with just the 4 ceilings.
Since I'm limited to 11.4 channels of processing at the moment in my home theatre (instead of 13.4), I moved from a 7.2.4 to 5.2.6 setup once I upgraded to the X6700H earlier this past spring. I did this so I could take advantage of Auro-3D upmixing. There isn't a lot of native Auro-3D content in the wild (at least, not in North America), but Auro-3D's upmixing of native Dolby Atmos and other encoded material is quite astounding in its own right. With Auro-3D, you don't place down firing, in ceiling speakers, but instead place top height speakers that face each other to create a top layer of sound above you: using top front heights LCR, top middle heights LR and a "channel of god" down firing speaker right above your head position. When you play an Atmos soundtrack, without Auro-3D upmixing, you end up noticing it sounds much better with height channels facing each other and creating that top layer of sound, instead of the "normal" 4 down firing in ceiling channels aimed at your ear. But why? I didn't understand that at all... until Techno Dad interviewed Wilfried Van Baelen, the creator of Auro-3D (Auro-3D pre-dates Dolby Atmos and DTS:X by many years).

So now it all clicks: that top layer of sound actually sounds better, and somehow more directional and immersive, than 4 down firing speakers directed at your ears... even with Atmos soundtracks. But that isn't what Dolby tells you to do with your speakers. Unfortunately, there's a terrible reason for that: a lawsuit. For *legal* reasons, Dolby is forbidden from telling you to place your speakers in the "correct" position in your own room that they originally designed Atmos around (their software that movie sound designers use to create Atmos soundtracks can't even take full advantage of a default Atmos setup because of that lawsuit). That's crazy.

Point is: you should try it. With an 11.4 channel receiver that supports Auro-3D (such as the X3800H), place 4 height speakers firing down at your ears like Dolby tells you to, in the middle part of your room, and two rear backs at floor level as usual (a standard 7.x.4 setup). Then play some really good Atmos soundtracks. Now, switch it up and place 6 speakers on your ceiling, each of those facing a parallel line on your ceiling instead of downward. This creates a height layer of sound with: top front heights LCR, top middle heights LR and a down firing top speaker over your listening position. Then use your standard 5.x setup as your base floor ground level layer: front LCR and surround LR (and your subs, of course, however many you have). Change the setup in your receiver and recalibrate, then go listen to those same Atmos soundtracks you played earlier. WAY more immersive, yes? It certainly was for me.

Now the best part: since you just setup an Auro-3D compliant config on your ceiling: engage those same Atmos soundtracks, but now with Auro-3D upmixing. That was the true revelation to me and it sound wonderful. With this kind of setup you can engage all three-mainstream surround standards: Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D.

I'm looking forward to upgrading my theatre space with a 13.4 channel, 7.4.6 setup later this spring or summer as that's now what I'm aiming for. But in the meantime this 5.2.6 setup, with six height speakers, has been a much more enveloping experience than my original 7.2.4 setup with four down firing speakers (I already own 2 additional SVS subs that are now in my family room that I'll install in the theatre during the next upgrade and will actively direct bass to them from specific speakers).

Here are some videos that Techno Dad put out over the past few months that helped solidify, for me, the *reasons* why this setup sounds better.

Dolby Atmos: In-Ceiling vs Height Speaker! Which is better for your setup? Let's test it out!

My Atmos Solution | Heights AND In-Ceiling Speakers for the Best Dolby Atmos Experience!

Why I Choose AURO3D’s Upmixer Over Dolby Atmos, DSU, DTS-Neural:X or Stereo

And here's a longer interview video that digs in on why top facing height speakers, including top middles, makes so much sense and why Dolby (ie: Atmos) can't tell you that.

Auro-3D with Wilfried Van Baelen
Last edited by Elrondolio on Dec 1st, 2022 10:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2009
6219 posts
15392 upvotes
ABB Midnight Rider
Masernaut wrote: Ah, too bad! This is my first AVR and will be my first home theatre setup. After listening to speakers in my price range, I've decided to go with the Paradigm Monitor series. I wasn't able to hear the Fluance anywhere. Will start with 3.0 and add tower speakers and a sub later if, fingers crossed, prices start tumbling down.
That seems like a good plan. I'd personally suggest getting a sub next, after your 3.0 is in place. A sub is more important for soundtracks and music, really, before expanding your surrounds to 5.x, 7.x or 5.x.2. The Paradigm Monitor series is a great place to start your new system, I have no doubt you're going to really enjoy your first home theatre experience. Good luck!
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2012
2484 posts
3179 upvotes
Ottawa
Elrondolio wrote: That seems like a good plan. I'd personally suggest getting a sub next, after your 3.0 is in place. A sub is more important for soundtracks and music, really, before expanding your surrounds to 5.x, 7.x or 5.x.2. The Paradigm Monitor series is a great place to start your new system, I have no doubt you're going to really enjoy your first home theatre experience. Good luck!
Thanks! Have decided on the SVS PB-1000 but not easy to find under $1k in Canada. Amazing outlet open box deals in the USA right now...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
6413 posts
2704 upvotes
Yeah my tracking has been all over the place. Here it is as of 9:23am:

Today
9:09 AM | ONTARIO SERVICE AREA, ON
Shipment has departed from a DHL
facility ONTARIO SERVICE AREA,ON-CAN

8:27 AM | ONTARIO SERVICE AREA, ON
Clearance processing complete at
ONTARIO SERVICE AREA,ON-CAN

8:27 AM | ONTARIO SERVICE AREA, ON
Processed at ONTARIO SERVICE AREA,ON-CAN

8:14 AM | ONTARIO SERVICE AREA, ON
Arrived at DHL Sort Facility ONTARIO
SERVICE AREA,ON-CAN

7:03 AM | ONTARIO SERVICE AREA, ON
Customs clearance status updated. Note
- The Customs clearance process may start while
the shipment is in transit to the destination.

4:28 AM | CINCINNATI HUB, OH
facility CINCINNATI HUB,OH-USA

12:29 AM | CINCINNATI HUB, OH
Processed at CINCINNATI HUB,OH-USA

My two orders still say Dec 12 as the estimated delivery date, but I imagine that's a glitch and I'll be receiving today
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2009
6219 posts
15392 upvotes
ABB Midnight Rider
When it comes to DHL, Cincinnati is their hub location, just as Memphis is FedEx's hub. Near all packages from DHL will get sent to their hub in Cincinnati for processing and sorting, even most of their overnight service packages. When one see's customs clearance on their tracking, that just means the paperwork is being processed there... not the actual package itself. So, it'll look like the package is bouncing around the US but in reality, the actual package will fly to their Cincinnati hub once for sorting, then off to a close local airport (and on from there). The customs paperwork has it's own path through their offices in Cincinnati and you'll see both when you view your tracking information.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2012
5092 posts
5534 upvotes
Toronto
Elrondolio wrote: When it comes to DHL, Cincinnati is their hub location, just as Memphis is FedEx's hub. Near all packages from DHL will get sent to their hub in Cincinnati for processing and sorting, even most of their overnight service packages. When one see's customs clearance on their tracking, that just means the paperwork is being processed there... not the actual package itself. So, it'll look like the package is bouncing around the US but in reality, the actual package will fly to their Cincinnati hub once for sorting, then off to a close local airport (and on from there). The customs paperwork has it's own path through their offices in Cincinnati and you'll see both when you view your tracking information.
what a pro, even know audio logistics. when i get my first home theatre setup im going to consult you
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
2668 posts
1517 upvotes
Toronto
mine is out on the truck "out for delivery" .... looking forward to getting it today :)
Mar 3, 2009
48 posts
11 upvotes
Hamilton, On
Anyone have an extra 3700 or maybe a 3800 in the in the Oakville area that they want to sell at cost instead of shipping it back?

I'm a little hesitant to buy something this big "second hand", but I'm kicking myself for missing out on this deal and need a new 9 channel receiver.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2012
2484 posts
3179 upvotes
Ottawa
led2 wrote: SVS PB-1000 Pro was on sale for $979 at various retailers for Black Friday. Maybe will go up again for Boxing Day?

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/summit- ... #p36818078
I saw that, but still out of my budget. I don't mind waiting for a better opportunity than spending $300 on a sub-par sub. Covid price hikes have made building a quality HT setup much harder.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2012
5092 posts
5534 upvotes
Toronto
TheBigSorbo wrote: Anyone have an extra 3700 or maybe a 3800 in the in the Oakville area that they want to sell at cost instead of shipping it back?

I'm a little hesitant to buy something this big "second hand", but I'm kicking myself for missing out on this deal and need a new 9 channel receiver.
saw a few people selling their 25% at cost in this thread, might need to go through each page and PM them directly as they dont check back often
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
4111 posts
861 upvotes
Mississauga
I was told someone came last night but it was bullshit as I was home, no doorbell rang and i have a doorbell cam, its likely they chose to call it a night and lied about it lol.

Anyways for someone that knows if i picked up the denon sound bar, can i add any subwoofer or do i have to add the denon? also do i have to situate it near the front of the room or would it be weird to put it somwhere else in the room
Nov 27, 2022
4 posts
14 upvotes
I didn't receive a email with tracking number since I have ordered a receiver last monday. (BTW, I'm the one who found the 30% discount :P )

I chatted with the Denon support, yestarday, and they gave me a tracking number from FEDEX. On my Denon account, the link with the tracking is with DHL. (which is wrong) My package arrived yesterday at the end of the day. It's now ready for a pickup in Ottawa. (I'm from QC, but sent it to a friend's place but they were not able to deliver at his place.)

Gonna go pick it up tonight ! :) So be sure to know the real carrier for your package.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
2668 posts
1517 upvotes
Toronto
blaster69 wrote: I didn't receive a email with tracking number since I have ordered a receiver last monday. (BTW, I'm the one who found the 30% discount :P )

I chatted with the Denon support, yestarday, and they gave me a tracking number from FEDEX. On my Denon account, the link with the tracking is with DHL. (which is wrong) My package arrived yesterday at the end of the day. It's now ready for a pickup in Ottawa. (I'm from QC, but sent it to a friend's place but they were not able to deliver at his place.)

Gonna go pick it up tonight ! :) So be sure to know the real carrier for your package.
Strange.. for me I have been tracking on DHL... I received an email with tracking... This morning it is "with courier for delivery".. maybe they are using FedEx for last mile.. I don't know.. but I won't know till it comes.. I have pretty detailed tracking with DHL though so I'll just follow that and wait until it comes..
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2012
2484 posts
3179 upvotes
Ottawa
Elrondolio wrote: Since I'm limited to 11.4 channels of processing at the moment in my home theatre (instead of 13.4), I moved from a 7.2.4 to 5.2.6 setup once I upgraded to the X6700H earlier this past spring. I did this so I could take advantage of Auro-3D upmixing. There isn't a lot of native Auro-3D content in the wild (at least, not in North America), but Auro-3D's upmixing of native Dolby Atmos and other encoded material is quite astounding in its own right. With Auro-3D, you don't place down firing, in ceiling speakers, but instead place top height speakers that face each other to create a top layer of sound above you: using top front heights LCR, top middle heights LR and a "channel of god" down firing speaker right above your head position. When you play an Atmos soundtrack, without Auro-3D upmixing, you end up noticing it sounds much better with height channels facing each other and creating that top layer of sound, instead of the "normal" 4 down firing in ceiling channels aimed at your ear. But why? I didn't understand that at all... until Techno Dad interviewed Wilfried Van Baelen, the creator of Auro-3D (Auro-3D pre-dates Dolby Atmos and DTS:X by many years).

So now it all clicks: that top layer of sound actually sounds better, and somehow more directional and immersive, than 4 down firing speakers directed at your ears... even with Atmos soundtracks. But that isn't what Dolby tells you to do with your speakers. Unfortunately, there's a terrible reason for that: a lawsuit. For *legal* reasons, Dolby is forbidden from telling you to place your speakers in the "correct" position in your own room that they originally designed Atmos around (their software that movie sound designers use to create Atmos soundtracks can't even take full advantage of a default Atmos setup because of that lawsuit). That's crazy.

Point is: you should try it. With an 11.4 channel receiver that supports Auro-3D (such as the X3800H), place 4 height speakers firing down at your ears like Dolby tells you to, in the middle part of your room, and two rear backs at floor level as usual (a standard 7.x.4 setup). Then play some really good Atmos soundtracks. Now, switch it up and place 6 speakers on your ceiling, each of those facing a parallel line on your ceiling instead of downward. This creates a height layer of sound with: top front heights LCR, top middle heights LR and a down firing top speaker over your listening position. Then use your standard 5.x setup as your base floor ground level layer: front LCR and surround LR (and your subs, of course, however many you have). Change the setup in your receiver and recalibrate, then go listen to those same Atmos soundtracks you played earlier. WAY more immersive, yes? It certainly was for me.

Now the best part: since you just setup an Auro-3D compliant config on your ceiling: engage those same Atmos soundtracks, but now with Auro-3D upmixing. That was the true revelation to me and it sound wonderful. With this kind of setup you can engage all three-mainstream surround standards: Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D.

I'm looking forward to upgrading my theatre space with a 13.4 channel, 7.4.6 setup later this spring or summer as that's now what I'm aiming for. But in the meantime this 5.2.6 setup, with six height speakers, has been a much more enveloping experience than my original 7.2.4 setup with four down firing speakers (I already own 2 additional SVS subs that are now in my family room that I'll install in the theatre during the next upgrade and will actively direct bass to them from specific speakers).

Here are some videos that Techno Dad put out over the past few months that helped solidify, for me, the *reasons* why this setup sounds better.

Dolby Atmos: In-Ceiling vs Height Speaker! Which is better for your setup? Let's test it out!

My Atmos Solution | Heights AND In-Ceiling Speakers for the Best Dolby Atmos Experience!

Why I Choose AURO3D’s Upmixer Over Dolby Atmos, DSU, DTS-Neural:X or Stereo

And here's a longer interview video that digs in on why top facing height speakers, including top middles, makes so much sense and why Dolby (ie: Atmos) can't tell you that.

Auro-3D with Wilfried Van Baelen
Amazing. Thanks for sharing your knowledge here. A lot for a newbie like me to learn. Would be an incredible experience to hear sound in your home theatre setup!
Aug 15, 2010
59 posts
19 upvotes
I found that last video interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Jul 21, 2013
979 posts
661 upvotes
Calgary
Got mine delivered today, was supposed to be tomorrow.

For who is wondering, this was my tracking to Calgary:

Today
12:35 PM | SOUTHERN ALBERTA, AB
Delivered

12:35 PM | SOUTHERN ALBERTA, AB
Shipment is out with courier for delivery

Wednesday, 30 November
10:38 AM | SOUTHERN ALBERTA, AB
Clearance processing complete at
SOUTHERN ALBERTA,AB-CAN

4:08 AM | SOUTHERN ALBERTA, AB

5:53 AM | CINCINNATI HUB, OH
facility CINCINNATI HUB,OH-USA

5:49 AM | CINCINNATI HUB, OH

Tuesday, 29 November
5:52 AM | CINCINNATI HUB, OH

3:10 AM | CINCINNATI HUB, OH
Arrived at DHL Sort Facility CINCINNATI HUB,OH-USA

Monday, 28 November
8:09 PM | LOS ANGELES GATEWAY, CA
facility LOS ANGELES GATEWAY,CA-USA

7:56 PM | LOS ANGELES GATEWAY, CA
Shipment is in transit to destination

2:59 PM | ONTARIO, CA
facility ONTARIO,CA-USA

2:55 PM | ONTARIO, CA
Processed at ONTARIO,CA-USA

Saturday, 26 November
4:30 PM | CINCINNATI HUB, OH