• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2021 8:15 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2228 posts
1754 upvotes

Denso vs Aftermarket Relay

Confirmed my blower relay kicked the bucket. Found aftermarket relay at Partsource for $21.xx or I can order a Denso one for $16.xxcad from the US but will have to wait 2 weeks.

It would be nice to have AC in this heat ASAP, but I'm concerned about quality. Its not a critical part and failing wont leave me on the side of the road, but dont want to find it dead in 6 months.

Whats your opinion on 3rd party relays?

Part is Denso 056700-5260
19 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
2097 posts
3854 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Did you try the dealership? Can probably get the part to you the next day at comparable prices.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
eclone wrote: Confirmed my blower relay kicked the bucket. Found aftermarket relay at Partsource for $21.xx or I can order a Denso one for $16.xxcad from the US but will have to wait 2 weeks.

It would be nice to have AC in this heat ASAP, but I'm concerned about quality. Its not a critical part and failing wont leave me on the side of the road, but dont want to find it dead in 6 months.

Part is Denso 056700-5260
As you already pointed out, it is not a critical part and it is only a $20 part.
I don't understand what is your concern...
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Is this a 3 year old vehicle or a 10 year old vehicle.

Bet they roll off the same production line with different labels.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6838 posts
2613 upvotes
BC
If factory relay was made by Denso and has now failed, I would say getting one with a different brand name could be a smart move even at $5 more.

Could even be better quality and at least easier to resolve any problem that might arise with wrongly boxed part no., DOA or anything else.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Buy the aftermarket now and buy the Denso as a backup Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Get the one you can grab now, should be fine and your not going to be out lots of cash if it only lasts a few years.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Mar 14, 2017
242 posts
158 upvotes
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: Did you try the dealership? Can probably get the part to you the next day at comparable prices.
This. I would ask the dealer as well. There was a part I was trying to get; I was going to order it online but I asked the dealer just to see what they said. Turns out that they have it in stock and it was very close to online pricing, and I didn't need to pay for shipping and didn't need to wait for delivery.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1966 posts
2265 upvotes
eclone wrote:
They maybe good or not so good.

Biggest problem that I find is some aftermarket relays don't have the internal clamping diodes or resistors inside. This can cause module damage over time or make popping noises in the speakers.

You can open them and look inside or test them with a scope. Otherwise a factory relay would be the best one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2228 posts
1754 upvotes
Subaru canada is atleast $60cad+tx based on us Subaru parts pricing. I'll get the $20 aftermarket for now while I wait for for the denso part to arrive from the US. Subaru especially Subaru canada parts mark up have always been crazy (ie $650 from what I recall for a Subaru denso maf! Vs $120 from denso)

Car is 20yo (original relay) highly modified including manual HVAC converted to newer auto HVAC. i don't want a part permanently there that can potentially cause a electrical nightmare.

Since other critical components also use this relay - fuel pump, accessories, starter, dccd, I'll keep the aftermarket after in the glove for road side emergency.

Thanks for everyones input.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
eclone wrote: Subaru canada is atleast $60cad+tx based on us Subaru parts pricing. I'll get the $20 aftermarket for now while I wait for for the denso part to arrive from the US. Subaru especially Subaru canada parts mark up have always been crazy (ie $650 from what I recall for a Subaru denso maf! Vs $120 from denso)

Car is 20yo (original relay) highly modified including manual HVAC converted to newer auto HVAC. i don't want a part permanently there that can potentially cause a electrical nightmare.

Since other critical components also use this relay - fuel pump, accessories, starter, dccd, I'll keep the aftermarket after in the glove for road side emergency.

I am confused. In your Post #1, you said this relay is not critical. And now, you say it is critical.
If it is critical, have a spare relay if you buy a cheaper one.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33243 posts
15057 upvotes
The one from the US probably won't take 2wks, will probably be here within a week unless you're going ground from CA or something.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2228 posts
1754 upvotes
BDSL wrote: I am confused. In your Post #1, you said this relay is not critical. And now, you say it is critical.
If it is critical, have a spare relay if you buy a cheaper one.
The one that failed is for the blower motor only. Fuel pump and other components also uses the same relay model each separately.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2228 posts
1754 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: The one from the US probably won't take 2wks, will probably be here within a week unless you're going ground from CA or something.
The US pricing is based on shipping to our US office and I have to wait until there is a business shipment to here to consolidate the shipment. Unfortunately the vendor does not ship to Canada
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
If I am you, just get one at local PartSource. It is just $5 more without waiting.
If the relay fails or fails to perform properly, then return it hassle free....
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1051 posts
824 upvotes
BDSL wrote: If I am you, just get one at local PartSource. It is just $5 more without waiting.
If the relay fails or fails to perform properly, then return it hassle free....
I agree with this, for a 20yr old car, get the relay, return it within warranty period if it fails. You really don't want to go without AC while driving in the next couple of weeks.
Aug 18, 2013
312 posts
572 upvotes
Next door
Denso shows $10 CDN at Rockauto and probably here by Thursday
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
eclone wrote: Subaru canada is atleast $60cad+tx based on us Subaru parts pricing. I'll get the $20 aftermarket for now while I wait for for the denso part to arrive from the US. Subaru especially Subaru canada parts mark up have always been crazy (ie $650 from what I recall for a Subaru denso maf! Vs $120 from denso)

What model of vehicle and how did you modify it?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2228 posts
1754 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: What model of vehicle and how is it modified?
It's an oem+ build. 2002 wrx with just the chassis still stock, almost full s204 sti conversion.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
eclone wrote: It's an oem+ build. 2002 wrx with just the chassis still stock, almost full s204 sti conversion.
Nice Smiling Face With Sunglasses

When you posted the part number above i went to Toyota direct to see if it was available (out of London i think) but it never came up, then i realized Denso makes parts for other automakers.

I am rocking an almost stock 05 Echo so not 20 years old but not a spring chicken either.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
What the heck....it is a $20 relay. You aren't flying an aircraft or driving a mass transit.