Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 15, 2014
37 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

A dent in the hood

So the other day I was going out for dinner with my brother in law, and as a joke he decided to throw his shoe at my car. I know, in hindsight we both saw realized that perhaps this was a very childish, irresponsible thing to do and he definitely regrets doing it. The only problem that there is though is the fact that my hood is unpainted, and with the dent I am not able to paint it as I planned.

The predicament I am in now is that My brother in law is quite evasive, and when put together with my controlling sister it is very difficult to try and contact him to arrange a potential time for when he claims he can repair it.

In an attempt to try and repair the dent myself I used the cheapest method I could think of, a plunger. Though this did a good amount of justice when used together with a heat gun, there is still a shallow dent that is proving troublesome to remove.

I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on any methods that are inexpensive (since my car is old I do not want to put a lot of money into it), and easy to do at home.

I am probably going to look into bringing my car to a dent Doctor sort of place to get a quote about how much they would charge to fix it.

Thanks in advance!
20 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35617 posts
21673 upvotes
Center of Universe
Bondo, sand and re-apply as needed.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4955 posts
1275 upvotes
Abbottabad
Just leave it.

Let it be a daily reminder of how foolish and reckless you were in your younger years.
[OP]
Mar 15, 2014
37 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
iamskyhigh wrote: Just leave it.

Let it be a daily reminder of how foolish and reckless you were in your younger years.
But then how can I paint it?
[OP]
Mar 15, 2014
37 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: Bondo, sand and re-apply as needed.
I was thinking about doing this but felt it wouldn't be fair because ultimately the hood should be restored to its original condition by him.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35617 posts
21673 upvotes
Center of Universe
AdamL041 wrote: I was thinking about doing this but felt it wouldn't be fair because ultimately the hood should be restored to its original condition by him.
I would make him pay for the material and do the work myself...do you trust him at this time to properly fix the dent?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Sorry to hear about your bonnet issues. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16732 posts
6964 upvotes
Paintless dent removal - if they cannot work it out, I would assume they can easily do a glue pull.

Never heard of doing a glue pull on a primed body panel but assuming it would work just fine (and the residue would come off so you could paint the hood).

Total cost should be under $100. Way better than going through hours of futile attempts to get it perfect like you want.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12210 posts
8616 upvotes
Edmonton
Can you reach the dent from underneath? I think the paintless dent people try to push it back up from underneath, and can do an amazing job. I had a Rav4 get hit by a hail storm about 2 months after I bought it, and $5000 later, you couldn't see any dents.

But yeah, I'd just take it to a dent repair place, and they can fix it quickly and cheaply.

C
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13897 posts
8990 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
AdamL041 wrote: So the other day I was going out for dinner with my brother in law, and as a joke he decided to throw his shoe at my car. I know, in hindsight we both saw realized that perhaps this was a very childish, irresponsible thing to do and he definitely regrets doing it. The only problem that there is though is the fact that my hood is unpainted, and with the dent I am not able to paint it as I planned.

The predicament I am in now is that My brother in law is quite evasive, and when put together with my controlling sister it is very difficult to try and contact him to arrange a potential time for when he claims he can repair it.

In an attempt to try and repair the dent myself I used the cheapest method I could think of, a plunger. Though this did a good amount of justice when used together with a heat gun, there is still a shallow dent that is proving troublesome to remove.

I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on any methods that are inexpensive (since my car is old I do not want to put a lot of money into it), and easy to do at home.

I am probably going to look into bringing my car to a dent Doctor sort of place to get a quote about how much they would charge to fix it.

Thanks in advance!
You should throw your dress shoe at his car.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Op I got some hella heavy red wing iron rangers you could chuck on his roof and basically collapse it if you have a hankering.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
[OP]
Mar 15, 2014
37 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: Can you reach the dent from underneath? I think the paintless dent people try to push it back up from underneath, and can do an amazing job. I had a Rav4 get hit by a hail storm about 2 months after I bought it, and $5000 later, you couldn't see any dents.

But yeah, I'd just take it to a dent repair place, and they can fix it quickly and cheaply.

C
I can't really reach it from the underneath. I got the majority of the dent out myself with a cheap suction cup sort of thing from Canadian tire, but there is still an impression from the shoe.
[OP]
Mar 15, 2014
37 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote: Op I got some hella heavy red wing iron rangers you could chuck on his roof and basically collapse it if you have a hankering.
Haha I wish lol. But I'm not really looking for more trouble.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
I went to this place a few years ago for a dent on a front fender right on the fold that follows the curve of the wheel well. Can't tell it's there now.

Yonge and Steeles
http://www.autodent.ca
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
10094 posts
1916 upvotes
While you are at it. Throw the shoe on your sister's car for being controlling.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12210 posts
8616 upvotes
Edmonton
AdamL041 wrote: I can't really reach it from the underneath. I got the majority of the dent out myself with a cheap suction cup sort of thing from Canadian tire, but there is still an impression from the shoe.
Can't reach it because there's something in the way, or can't reach it because you don't want to sit on your motor while you try to rub it out?

C
[OP]
Mar 15, 2014
37 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: Can't reach it because there's something in the way, or can't reach it because you don't want to sit on your motor while you try to rub it out?

C
No there is literally a hollow section which makes it virtually impossible to touch the underside of the dent.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5853 posts
2032 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Car is unpainted, whooo is painting it for you......?
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16732 posts
6964 upvotes
AdamL041 wrote: No there is literally a hollow section which makes it virtually impossible to touch the underside of the dent.
If it cannot be reached with the tools they use, they will do a glue pull:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-QmmOZjHdM

It's really not that expensive - I would look into it if you want it to look like new.