Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1507 posts
376 upvotes
In Hiding

Dental rates - non-insured?

Hi, I'm moving from a job which has group insurance to a job with none. Would the dentist typically charge more for a patient with insurance and less if I have no insurance? It's typically $170+ just for a cleaning and I'm worried about future requirements like fillings, crowns, root canals, etc. Is there a rate table somewhere that governs the fees they charge?
9 replies
Jun 10, 2016
172 posts
124 upvotes
Brampton
talk to your dentist about it...my parents never had benefits so I know they would talk to them about prices (and complain when they were charging ridiculous extras for things)...they definitely have some leeway in what they can charge you...
Oct 3, 2017
374 posts
246 upvotes
I have had a ton of work done on my teeth over the years both with and without insurance and I have never received more than a token discount when I wasn't insured. Don't expect much of a break if any.

On the other hand once your teeth get too far gone losing them and the ensuing change in what you can eat and how you feel is forever so neglecting proper care for whatever reason is a pretty awful alternative.

Proper daily dental hygiene is important too once things are stable. Think 6k for 1 implant and you get an idea how expensive it is to fix things once they have failed.
Oct 3, 2013
690 posts
739 upvotes
Each province has a general "fee guideline" that should be charged. It'll give you an idea of how much a reasonable dentist should be charging someone WITHOUT insurance for each procedure they do.

Search for the province you live in on Google and you should find it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5697 posts
935 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Phonophoresis wrote: Each province has a general "fee guideline" that should be charged. It'll give you an idea of how much a reasonable dentist should be charging someone WITHOUT insurance for each procedure they do.

Search for the province you live in on Google and you should find it.
I have googled for one for Ontario but could not find it.
I asked my dentist what she charges and it was per the fee schedule - it seems as if she does but I could not actually verify it.
May 17, 2013
240 posts
144 upvotes
GWN
Catnippy wrote: Hi, I'm moving from a job which has group insurance to a job with none. Would the dentist typically charge more for a patient with insurance and less if I have no insurance? It's typically $170+ just for a cleaning and I'm worried about future requirements like fillings, crowns, root canals, etc. Is there a rate table somewhere that governs the fees they charge?
but this is Canada....we have free healthcare
Dec 28, 2019
805 posts
517 upvotes
Just do medical tourism.

Do the dental work in another country with lower prices.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8704 posts
1698 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
I had no insurance for 10+ years. Any dental discounts were usually small, ~$15 maybe. No discounts on major things either.

If you switch jobs, just keep that in mind that you may need to set something aside for any emergency work. Also, if you have no insurance at all, then you also pay prescriptions, vision, etc. Prescriptions though, you can usually tell a doctor to give you a cheaper generic over a brand. If you have family, then be prepared for things like orthodontics and such.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3464 posts
1436 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Some snowbirds (those who go to U.S. states near Mexico, if not Mexico) get their dental work done in Mexico.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10695 posts
3022 upvotes
Toronto
Or get your own private medical and dental plan.
Manulife, Bluecross and some others offer it.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015