Dentist experience during Covid

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2020 4:02 pm
[OP]
Jul 31, 2018
71 posts
17 upvotes

Dentist experience during Covid

Anyone been brave enough to go to the dentist during this pandemic? How was your experience, do they do dry cleaning or the regular cleaning with water. Are the dentist taking enough precautions to make you feel comfortable going?
28 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6931 posts
956 upvotes
Ottawa
maxineli wrote: Anyone been brave enough to go to the dentist during this pandemic? How was your experience, do they do dry cleaning or the regular cleaning with water. Are the dentist taking enough precautions to make you feel comfortable going?
I went to the periodontist (like a dentist, but they specialize in the gums and they want more money) recently for a cleaning. They did mostly hand scaling (it was supposed to be hand scaling only, but I had a spot that really needed the machine), and hand scaling needs a lot less water. They don't normally do polishing anyway. I felt that the precautions were good (the technician/periodontist wore kn95 masks (and the gloves they always do), and the technician wore a face shield and gown too when doing work in my mouth.
Realistically speaking, the danger was more to them from me than the other way around.
Jan 2, 2019
357 posts
51 upvotes
I haven't been to the dentist in over a year. I'm overdue for a cleaning. How long can I keep holding out before it's safe to go back?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4014 posts
261 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
just say they are more stressed and less friendly....
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2002
5873 posts
580 upvotes
Vancouver
I got a call from them saying they have reopened since june and ask me to call appointment.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1741 posts
766 upvotes
Ontario
Benefit providers love this. People are skipping visiting physio, massages, and dental cleanings.
Aug 23, 2014
323 posts
131 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
maxineli wrote: Anyone been brave enough to go to the dentist during this pandemic? How was your experience, do they do dry cleaning or the regular cleaning with water. Are the dentist taking enough precautions to make you feel comfortable going?
I’ve seen a dentist four times since the pandemic started. I cracked a tooth and had to get a root canal and crown work done. They have covid protocols in place described in one of the posts above and I felt relatively safe. I wouldn’t go though unless it is absolutely necessary. So no routine cleaning for me, for now. I bought a water pik and even a scaler from Amazon to add to my dental hygiene regime, to help minimize plaque build up.
Jun 13, 2009
725 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
OP I would not hesitate to go. I can't speak for your dentist, but my dentist put up plexiglass around much of their office, is booking fewer appts. so everyone can social distance, and all staff is wearing varying degrees of PPE- the receptionists have masks and gloves on and I watched them sanitize their workspaces a few times; and the hygenists and dentists were all wearing masks, face shields, gowns, and gloves.

At check-in, they were asking everyone a series of questions to determine if you were sick/exposed/etc, took my temperature, and had me sanitize my hands. Also, I was required to have a face mask to be allowed into the office.
Deal Guru
Dec 22, 2005
11112 posts
115 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I've been twice, once for cleaning and another for some minor fixes because my front bottom teeth are getting all jagged.
My dentist was dressed in a biohazard suit it seemed and he told me he's not worried because he's taken extra precautions aside what is recommended. I wouldn't hesitate to go as long as all precautions are met.

Of course I have to fill and sign the screening form and be ,asked in the office outside of the procedure but no biggie.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
May 11, 2008
767 posts
333 upvotes
Vancouver
Had an appointment for cleaning back in August and didn't have any issues, to me it looked like they took every precaution that they could take.

Upon arrival at the office, was asked to use sanitizer, filled out a questionnaire, had my temperature taken and sat in the waiting area that where the seating was spaced out until my turn.
The dentist and dental assistants all wore masks & face shields, gloves and gowns.
They had plexiglass barriers put up between each workspace and spent extra time sanitizing their area after each patient.

My dentist reopened back up on June 1st so by the time I'd gone in it was routine for them.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25154 posts
3091 upvotes
Montreal
You know who doesn't complain about wearing masks all day? Dentists. You are more likely to infect the dentist.

Just don't hang around the waiting room and you'll do fine.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1665 posts
1226 upvotes
GTA West
My experience with periodontal scaling:

- Wait outside and call from your car to say you are ready
- Plexiglas on top of the room partitions to restrict airflow
- Hanging clear flexible poly strips in the doorway to restrict airflow
- A HEPA air purifier beside the chair.
- gargle with peroxide before starting
- face shield for the hygienist
- no polishing
- dry cleaning with minimal water.
- no spitting out as normal

I am glad I have no need to go back for a while.