• Jan 14th, 2021 3:51 pm
[OP]
May 4, 2020
195 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto, On

dentist recommendation/question + xray

Hi
I have a tooth pain, I went to a dentist and he could not figure out where the pain is coming from. He took an xay for my teeth. He told me to brush my teeth with special tooth paste. I left and I still have the pain. Every time I drink cold or hot or breath heavenly or go outside and breath if it is cold I feel the pain. My questions please:

1) Why a dentist take an x ray? is it to be used for the next visit or the same visit? if the same visit then he should have seen something or showed me the result. He did not show me the xray. I felt he just wanted to charge me for that..

2) Do you know any good dentist in Toronto. Hopefully Toronto West?

3) If I go to a new dentist, can I ask the current dentist to transfer the file to the new one?

Thank you very much.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6502 posts
2952 upvotes
I am a patient of Dr Dale Nixon (Willowdale Dental at Yonge and Finch).
I have nothing but compliments for his skill, patience and compassion.
BTW if you don't have employee benefits they will provide a discount.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3218 posts
3226 upvotes
GTA
lwlwlwlw wrote: Hi
I have a tooth pain, I went to a dentist and he could not figure out where the pain is coming from. He took an xay for my teeth. He told me to brush my teeth with special tooth paste. I left and I still have the pain. Every time I drink cold or hot or breath heavenly or go outside and breath if it is cold I feel the pain. My questions please:

1) Why a dentist take an x ray? is it to be used for the next visit or the same visit? if the same visit then he should have seen something or showed me the result. He did not show me the xray. I felt he just wanted to charge me for that..

3) If I go to a new dentist, can I ask the current dentist to transfer the file to the new one?

Thank you very much.
The dentist took x-rays to see if there was anything causing the pain that a visual inspection wouldn't catch. Since the x-rays didn't show anything wrong he concluded that you have a condition known as sensitive teeth which is basically exposed roots (receding gums) or thinning enamel. You use sensitive tooth paste that coats the tooth and exposed roots so that hot and cold won't cause any pain. Try the tooth paste for a week or two first or you are just wasting your money going to another dentist who will just give you the same recommendation.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3093 posts
3020 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Don't be afraid to ask "why are you taking an X-ray" "what does this mean" etc. They should be happy to explain it to you and answer any questions you have.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5653 posts
3984 upvotes
lwlwlwlw wrote: Hi

Thank you very much.
Take note that I am not a dentist.

answer to question #1: you shoukd have asked your dentist directly. Curious that you come here and ask on an anonymous forum... Anyway, a dentist takes an x-ray for the same reasons as a doctor would: to see what they can't see with their eyes. With an x-ray they can see nerves, micro cracks, tooth decay between 2 teeth, etc. It's part of a dental exam.

#2: I am not in Toronto.

3- Yes, you can.

I also experience tooth pain when it goes from hot to cold, like when I drink cold water after chewing a hot meal. My dentist applied a kind of ''gel'' to protect from this issue. It is caused by the enamel that gets thinner over years, exposing nerves.. That's what I been explained, This gel is the same active ingredient you find in Sensodyne toothpaste. You can try that tothpaste before asking a dentist to apply the gel. https://www.sensodyne.ca/
Oct 1, 2003
168 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
I had a tooth ache and the way I found which tooth was aching, take a pen and tap the top of all the tooth and when you hit the right one, you will know. The ones not aching will have a dull feeling while the aching will feel pain shooting up. Tooth ache sometimes tell you have a root canal problem.
Heatware under the name happyhour http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=24428