• Sep 11th, 2018 7:10 pm
[OP]
Mar 23, 2015
159 posts
8 upvotes
Burlington, ON

Design ideas for under ladder storage door

Hi Guys,

I am looking for ideas on what door I can install under my ladder in the basement.

Please see pictures of where I want to install it.

Dimension of area where I need to install this door

I am looking for ideas on which door I can install there. I would prefer to install two pieces door to save space when opening these doors. Also I want to keep full access in order for big things to go through that doors.

My second question, where I can buy the door that you hopefully will be able to suggest?

By the way, I will install wood on the right side if it required in order to install these doors. I live in Toronto Canada.

Thank you very much in advance!

All the Best,

ildasm
Last edited by Ildasm on Sep 11th, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
16 replies
Jul 8, 2008
54 posts
44 upvotes
Please don't be a douche bag, OP.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2223 posts
1304 upvotes
GTA
I don't know that you can install storage under ladder !!!
If you want and can, it would be a very skinny one I would suspect - unless that ladder is super wide and super tall.
¸

- - - - -
;)
[OP]
Mar 23, 2015
159 posts
8 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Shot! I made a mistake and made a post in wrong area

How can I move it?
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2003 posts
773 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Ildasm wrote: Shot! I made a mistake and made a post in wrong area

How can I move it?
Dont fret, I moved it for you OP.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9463 posts
4901 upvotes
Paris
Option 1: Best and most expensive - $100ish
Buy a solid slab door from a home store half the width of whatever your finished side would be and cut in half.

Option 2: Buy closet door set - $40-60
buy a closet door set that fold up in the middle and trim those doors down to size. You will need to take them apart to hinge them on either side.

Option 3: Make some doors
Grab some MDF at 5/8 and some at 1/4 and make a raised panel door set. Will probably cost as much as option 2 though.

In all cases you will need to put up jambs to make it look at all finished.
Nov 3, 2015
45 posts
10 upvotes
Ontario
Jerico wrote:
Option 3: Make some doors
Grab some MDF at 5/8 and some at 1/4 and make a raised panel door set. Will probably cost as much as option 2 though.
Hi question, i have to do something similar and I like this idea of using mdf to make doors. What is the best way to paint the mdf so that it's durable?
Feb 11, 2009
221 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
DragOnT wrote: I don't know that you can install storage under ladder !!!
If you want and can, it would be a very skinny one I would suspect - unless that ladder is super wide and super tall.
May be OP means stairs?! :)
Or it's storage for a fold and hide-away ladder.
Jan 21, 2011
359 posts
145 upvotes
How high is the opening? Will tall cabinet doors work?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5634 posts
3396 upvotes
Just buy door trim, and a piece of wood or mdf for the door, cut to size. Then buy the hardware, hinges, knobs , etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9463 posts
4901 upvotes
Paris
rfd4life4ever wrote: Hi question, i have to do something similar and I like this idea of using mdf to make doors. What is the best way to paint the mdf so that it's durable?
Primer x2 first. It’s best to fill the edges with some wood filler so it doesn’t suck up all the paint.

I used 2 coats of polyurethane on an art table for the kids years ago and it’s still going strong.
Nov 3, 2015
45 posts
10 upvotes
Ontario
Jerico wrote: Primer x2 first. It’s best to fill the edges with some wood filler so it doesn’t suck up all the paint.

I used 2 coats of polyurethane on an art table for the kids years ago and it’s still going strong.
Thanks. Do you roll it on? I dont have a sprayer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9463 posts
4901 upvotes
Paris
rfd4life4ever wrote: Thanks. Do you roll it on? I dont have a sprayer.
Roll, brush, whatever you have. Sprayers are great, I got a Wagner dirt cheap at the restore once, but man do you use a lot of paint (even with no overspray). For MDF I would suggest a foam trim roller for smaller items like doors.

I had a Princess Auto compressor attached sprayer but it sprayed everything with a fine mist... work piece, motorcycle, everything (was easy to wipe off, but was like a fine dusting of snow)