Tags:
None
14 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2540 posts
2489 upvotes
Ottawa
Doesn't look much different from Tangerine's Mastercard.

One extra 2% category, but at the cost of "BONUSDOLLARS" instead of legitimate cash back.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5823 posts
7185 upvotes
Montreal
Poutinesauce wrote: Why would anyone get this instead of the Tangerine which has way more categories to choose from?
Doesn't Tangerine limit you to two categories where you earn 2%?
Mar 16, 2021
8 posts
6 upvotes
Québec
efrant wrote: Doesn't Tangerine limit you to two categories where you earn 2%?
You can get a third category if the return is deposited in a savings account.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5823 posts
7185 upvotes
Montreal
jrmrea wrote: You can get a third category if the return is deposited in a savings account.
Thanks for the info.

But I think the point still stands.
[OP]
Nov 13, 2013
767 posts
717 upvotes
Quebec
CanJpnPhl wrote: I think the regular Cash Back Visa is better. 2% real cash back on the same categories.
Right, I don't really understand why they created the "BONUS" card, looks better
Dec 5, 2016
578 posts
823 upvotes
efrant wrote: Thanks for the info.

But I think the point still stands.
If these four are your ideal cashback categories, then sure. Most people would rather have 3 customizable categories that match their highest spends.

Restaurants, entertainment and public transport aren't great cashback categories during the COVID-era, lol. and even if you are eating out a lot there are better cards for that.
Feb 28, 2014
964 posts
1141 upvotes
This card looks great as a companion card to fill in the categories you might be missing on another card. However, I still rather take the 3 customizable categories with Tangerine over this card due to the flexibility.

I find that Desjardins seem to cater to the urbanites more with their card portfolio. Even their Desjardins Cashback World Elite MasterCard caters to those who live in city centre as the card isn't that appealing to anyone who lives in the suburbs unless they only got said card to shop at Walmart Supercentres lol.
Jul 3, 2019
839 posts
444 upvotes
I’ve product switched to this card when it was made available in October 2020. Decent card as I rack up points with restaurants at the moment.

It freed up a category for my Tangerine card as well.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9270 posts
10499 upvotes
The Prairies
F3el96 wrote: I’ve product switched to this card when it was made available in October 2020. Decent card as I rack up points with restaurants at the moment.

It freed up a category for my Tangerine card as well.
What are “bonus dollars”?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9270 posts
10499 upvotes
The Prairies
F3el96 wrote: https://www.bonusdollars.ca

I still haven’t redeemed anything yet.
I have the Desjardins Cash Back MasterCard, with the same earn rates and categories at this Bonus Dollars card.
Only mine is real cash back, auto credited once i hit $25.
I wonder what their angle is having so many cards that are similar.
Is there a special benefit to this card over the card I have, keeping in mind I am a cardholder, but not a member.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15528 posts
14039 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Let's do some hypothetical spend scenarios...I'll admit that the niche scenario - the 2% cashback on pre-auth on a no-AF card with mobile device protection is a worthy alternative to Tang MC World.
  1. resto: spend could be $100-600/month. For <$200/month, sure, it's small spend, so this card is ok. For $300-500/month, Simplii and/or Cobalt become interesting (or CDC prepaid). Much more than that, and Cobalt or two player Simplii, or both
  2. Entertainment: I guess 2% is ok, probably don't have to dispute too many transactions in this category so use whichever card gives highest reward. 2% versus 1.25-1.5% on other cards only matters if the spend is high enough, and CDC prepaid 3% cards would beat this at any amount
  3. public transportation...does anyone spend >$200/month in this category? Maybe if parking passes count. Then same idea as entertainment. Use whichever card gives best return if spend is high enough, or churn cards and hit MSR
  4. Pre-auth...once you hit or exceed $500/month, then consider TD CBI or BNS Momentum Inf. Good for cellphone bill I guess, otherwise 2% is nothing special for "passive cashback"

Lolz using my Tang MC World for a BT. Not worth the hassle of spending with it :lol:
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
*emojis removed for rule violations*