• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2020 6:41 pm
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
90 posts
18 upvotes

Desktop or Monitor Issue

This is whats happening for a few days with my older desktop computer.

Sometime the screen goes black and in the left upper corner a small rectangular window "DIGITAL" appears, then changes to "ANALOG" and then the regular screen comes on, but stays on for a few second and then blinks for a split second and keeps on blinking.

Also, at night after logging off (computer off, monitor off) the monitor comes on by itself and a rectangular sign with a message "Check the signal cable" appears and keeps floating on the dark screen, which lasts for a while. This process gets repeated until I touch the power button on the monitor. Would you know what it is? and if so can I fix it? (I pulled out and reconnected all cables in the house several times), do I need a new monitor? The computer is fine right?
- english is my 2nd language - will be typos -
9 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15555 posts
4147 upvotes
Markham
which monitor is it? have you check the menu settings to see what options it has ?
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2091 posts
1167 upvotes
Calgary
Sounds potentially like a bad video cable, or port on either your computer’s graphics card or the monitor. Try a different cable first and see if the problem goes away.

When the monitor is showing “digital” and “analog” it sounds like it loses connection then tries to autodetect what cable is plugged in and active.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
1856 posts
367 upvotes
LowTierScum wrote:
Also, at night after logging off (computer off, monitor off) the monitor comes on by itself and a rectangular sign with a message "Check the signal cable" appears and keeps floating on the dark screen, which lasts for a while. This process gets repeated until I touch the power button on the monitor. Would you know what it is? and if so can I fix it? (I pulled out and reconnected all cables in the house several times), do I need a new monitor? The computer is fine right?
Sounds like an issue with your monitor. Unplug the monitor cable from the monitor and only leave the power cable connected. Do you still get the "check the signal cable" message ? If so, then there is something wrong with your monitor board. If not, then it could be your monitor cable.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4292 posts
1172 upvotes
Try a different monitor, or try the monitor on a different system.
signature closed for renovation
Nov 14, 2008
807 posts
276 upvotes
LowTierScum wrote: Also, at night after logging off (computer off, monitor off) the monitor comes on by itself and a rectangular sign with a message "Check the signal cable" appears and keeps floating on the dark screen, which lasts for a while. This process gets repeated until I touch the power button on the monitor. Would you know what it is? and if so can I fix it? (I pulled out and reconnected all cables in the house several times), do I need a new monitor? The computer is fine right?
This is normal , when you shut down your computer, there is no signal, the monitor will stay on for x minutes then turn off automatically(usually)

To troubleshoot your issue, like someone already mentioned see if your desktop and monitor have a different port and try to connect that way
Also to discount the monitor try it on another computer if you have

I would suspect in this order
1, Dying video card
2. Dying PSU
3. Dying Monitor

Open the desktop case, is there much dust?
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
90 posts
18 upvotes
Keigotw wrote: which monitor is it? have you check the menu settings to see what options it has ?
ok i will but i did not change any option in the osd menu setting on the monitor.
Devhux wrote: Sounds potentially like a bad video cable, or port on either your computer’s graphics card or the monitor. Try a different cable first and see if the problem goes away.

When the monitor is showing “digital” and “analog” it sounds like it loses connection then tries to autodetect what cable is plugged in and active.
ok i when i get home i will try to reattach all the cables from power cable on the monitor to the dvi cable on the monitor. i will have to look and see if i have a spare vga or dvi cable for the monitor. when i get home i will try this first and see what happens thank you.
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
90 posts
18 upvotes
sylvestor2002 wrote:
Sounds like an issue with your monitor. Unplug the monitor cable from the monitor and only leave the power cable connected. Do you still get the "check the signal cable" message ? If so, then there is something wrong with your monitor board. If not, then it could be your monitor cable.
thank you i will try this as well, when i get home from the long weekend.
recordman wrote: Try a different monitor, or try the monitor on a different system.
i don't have another spare monitor to test. i will have to check if i have access to a laptop to maybe plug the monitor in there, but i am not sure if i have a spare vga cable. i will have to check. thank you.
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
90 posts
18 upvotes
lostintransit wrote: This is normal , when you shut down your computer, there is no signal, the monitor will stay on for x minutes then turn off automatically(usually)

To troubleshoot your issue, like someone already mentioned see if your desktop and monitor have a different port and try to connect that way
Also to discount the monitor try it on another computer if you have

I would suspect in this order
1, Dying video card
2. Dying PSU
3. Dying Monitor

Open the desktop case, is there much dust?
i am not sure about this suggestion. if i had a dying video card would i not have pixelation on the screen? i have no problem with graphics or pixelation. also if i had a dying psu would not the computer shut down randomly? how would this affect the monitor in anyway? i am confused by this?

the only suggestion i can think from what others are saying are bad cables or dying monitor slowly. no there is not much dust inside. i use compressed air at least twice a year on the computer. its in a desk and i pull it out and open and dust it with compress air. non smoker and no pets and room is clean.

thanks all for suggestions will try them all. have a save weekend and will report when i get a chance to have a better look and see what happens. thank you.
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
90 posts
18 upvotes
thanks to everyone for the suggestions. so i had my cousin over and we tested with a new vga cable to the monitor and same issue. then tried the monitor to a laptop via vga cable and same thing. so came to the conclusion that monitor is dying. probably monitor has bad psu or circuit board failing. i will just keep using this and wait for a sale for a basic 1080p monitor, nothing special for this machine. oh and it was an older ASUS 24" 1080p monitor anyway, so no big loss. i will just look for a sale and keep on using it, then just replace it and recycle this one. thanks again. hope you all had a good thanksgivin.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)