• Apr 11th, 2020 10:45 am
[OP]
Sep 21, 2010
39 posts
12 upvotes
North York

Desktop with Windows 10 - Disk 100% full

Hi;

I have an older desktop - Until recently, it ran fine with Windows 10. However, lately, the desktop has slowed down and I've been encountering 100% disk full in Task Manager.
I have an SSD (not HDD) - I've tried the solutions suggested in Google (turning off Search, PreFetch and turning Power Performance to 'High', et) but no luck.

I have MalwareBytes (MB) installed - it seems to be using the most CPU and I'm starting to suspect MB's latest update.

Calling out on you techies for help please,

Thank-you
6 replies
Oct 8, 2016
47 posts
45 upvotes
Open up Windows Explorer and right click on the drive that has Windows 10 installed. Select "Properties" and then "Disc Cleanup". You might be able to recover some space this way.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1472 posts
612 upvotes
Delete the Windows update files to clear up space.
  1. Press Win + R on the keyboard and type services.msc in the Run box.
  2. Stop the service named Windows Update.
  3. Open File Explorer.
  4. Go to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download. Copy-paste this path to the explorer's address bar.
  5. Select all files of the folder(press the Ctrl-A keys).
  6. Press the Delete key on the keyboard.Windows 10 Delete Windows Update Downloaded Files
  7. Windows may request for administrator privileges to delete those files. Turn on the option "Do this for all current items" in the dialog and click on Continue.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3839 posts
1044 upvotes
How full is the SSD really and what's its capacity?.... and are you using your SSD to store videos/music/documents too? Perhaps adding storage capacity will be the way to go. Some SSD will perform poorly when they're full. Another big storage hog is if you ever backed up your phone ... usually dozens of gb.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5104 posts
1454 upvotes
Toronto
Another (new?) issue that causes disk full I found after recent update. Check under C:\Users , see if there's an extra user folder. In my case, my original login & user folder is say, "boyohboy". After update while login remains the same, all my stuffs actually got redirected to folder \boyohboy.000 . The original "boyohboy" folder is still there but almost empty. There's a series of folder with only 2 files at the end, filenames "WPRxxxxxx.etl" which takes up almost as much free space as they can. These are trace log files from Windows performance recorder, can't figure out how they're initiated (during reboot) so they still intermittently come back again for me. But you can safely delete them.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15061 posts
2645 upvotes
What size is the SSD and how much data storage you have left?