• Nov 5th, 2020 9:48 pm
[OP]
Sep 23, 2011
86 posts
39 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

Desperate Need of Help - Sept 8 Incident 427/Burnhamthorpe

All,

I am in dire need of help. If you happened to be at the 427 and Burnhamthorpe last Tuesday September 8 around 8:15 AM and may have witnessed the collision that occurred, I would highly appreciate it if you could reach out and let me know. I was in the east bound vehicle. I know that there were several witnesses but nobody who stopped after it happened, although a driver exiting the 427 shouted that he did have dash cam footage but never returned to the scene. I am getting the run around from the other party and sadly enough my own insurance company - that itself is a whole other issue which I will write about in due course.

No need to reply to this thread, please just DM me directly. I know this is a huge shot in the dark but at this point I don't know what else I can do.

Thanks.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1800 posts
2241 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Put up a sign at the intersection. You never know.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
29867 posts
10570 upvotes
Can't really help you but yeah insurance companies always want to screw you, let me tell you. Last year when I got rear ended, I already discussed everything with my insurance company before hand including how this was not-at-fault the police got the guy that hit me (who initially drove off and then pretended like I told him all was good :rolleyes: ), report a was filed, etc. and yeah they said I wouldn't be responsible for any deductible, etc.

FFW to when I go pick up my car, rental returned, all is good. Girl at shop is like okay that will be [$insert deductible cost here] and I was like, "Huh? No this was a rear-ending not my fault had the other guy's info, insurance, etc." and she's like "Hmm well I just talked to [so and so] at your insurance company like an hour ago and he said yeah this was a customer pays deductible claim." LOL what? So now I gotta call my insurance company back again, wait on hold through like three people, finally get to someone who says, "oh that's a mistake in the system, I'll change it and the bodyshop should see it once it processes". Uh okay, "when does it process exactly, like how long does that take." Apparently anywhere from right away to an hour :rolleyes:

Good news was it went through in about 15mins and then I was set once they redid the ppwk at the shop. But yeah had I not said anything or known I wasn't supposed to pay my deductible, then I'd have paid it and then good luck getting it back after that! Surrrre, "a mistake in the system", more like "we do this to everyone in case they don't know and stupidly pay" :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3769 posts
365 upvotes
Toronto
please dont cheap out and buy a dashcam. it will save yourself any hassle and goes a long way

i really dont understand why people dont get a dashcam.

insurance companies should give discounts to people with dashcam
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
1131 posts
1783 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Sprite_TM wrote: please dont cheap out and buy a dashcam. it will save yourself any hassle and goes a long way

i really dont understand why people dont get a dashcam.

insurance companies should give discounts to people with dashcam
Facts. My current cheapo dashcam setup cost me $50 for the camera and $15 for a 64GB SD card. And before this, I had a G1W for $30 and $10 SD card for 5 years. Most people probably spend more than that on Tim Hortons in a month.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5219 posts
1128 upvotes
Montreal
Anyone on RFD who doesn’t have a dash cam can only blame himself/herself. It’s $50!
Mar 14, 2008
557 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
DIEHARD005 wrote: All,

I am in dire need of help. If you happened to be at the 427 and Burnhamthorpe last Tuesday September 8 around 8:15 AM and may have witnessed the collision that occurred, I would highly appreciate it if you could reach out and let me know. I was in the east bound vehicle. I know that there were several witnesses but nobody who stopped after it happened, although a driver exiting the 427 shouted that he did have dash cam footage but never returned to the scene. I am getting the run around from the other party and sadly enough my own insurance company - that itself is a whole other issue which I will write about in due course.

No need to reply to this thread, please just DM me directly. I know this is a huge shot in the dark but at this point I don't know what else I can do.

Thanks.
Try posting this on the Toronto subreddit.

Good luck
May 3, 2010
270 posts
109 upvotes
Brampton
Keep checking YouTube. Maybe he/she will upload on YouTube. There is tons of accident compilation and your could feature soon. So keep checking and pease get the dash cam. It is not that expensive and easy to install. Saved us from the fraudulent activity at one point prior to to false witnesses gathered against us. Dash cam is must.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9023 posts
1703 upvotes
Good luck OP.

I know many have said this already but dashcams are a must now just like doorbell cams and security cams around the house are becoming more popular. I take nightly walks around my neighbourhood and almost every other house has a camera of some sort to capture any illegal stuff. Dashcams I am also seeing more and more now too. I’ve had a dash in my car shortly after the Ragu incident for those who remember. I helped out a dude who got his car cut into by a pickup and the pickup guy said the poor dude merged into him. My dashcam saved him because it would’ve likely been 50/50 without witnesses or camera.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
[OP]
Sep 23, 2011
86 posts
39 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Update to anyone who may have been interested:

As I somewhat alluded to in my OP (or tried to anyway), I was receiving some horrible service from my own insurance company and specifically my adjustor. My original adjuster was not going to do any work for me and was happy to write my collision off as 50/50 since the other driver lied at the CRC and claimed that I ran the red and without any dashcam footage or witnesses, they were not interested in doing any work themsleves. I literally spent days fighting with them to do their due dilligence but I also made multiple visits to the stores/companies in the vicinity and was quite literally begging the stores to check their CCTV footage to at least see if they would have picked up the collision as I know for a fact I did not run the red. Some people did at least give me the time of day and checked, but many did not which itself was a sad reflection of our society - nobody willing to at least try and help someone in their time of need.

The tipping point was when my adjustor abruptly raised their voice at me on the phone and proceeded to mention "going to a lawyer" and then hung up on me (luckily I put the phone on speaker so my wife was witness to that all) and I decided I had enough. I complained all the way up to their complaints resolution area and posted my experience to date on social media before being contact quickly by their customer service reps and was assigned a new adjustor. The new person was day and night and proactively asked me basic questions such as for pictures of the scene, looking at the detailed report and telling me right away to get a new carseat as mine was involved in the collision and needed to be trashed asap - something that nobody previously mentioned to me despite several mentions at my end of having a newborn who luckily was not in the car at the time of the accient but whose carseat/base was. I still had to demonstrate all the facts of the case including walking the new adjustor through pictures I took, illustrating the dynamics of the intersection via google maps (i was on a downward slope, if I ran the red basic logic is that my speed should have been high enough on a downward hill to cause serious injury or damage which did not happen), mentioning over the lengths I was going to in order to track down video footage, etc - still literally hours and days of my time.

Luckily the new adjustor looked at the facts and even though the other driver clearly lied to the cops, they decided that in all liklihood I was not at fault and deemed me to be 0% at fault. It took weeks and quite a bit of stress but I was willing to fight to as far as I could go in order to ensure this incident was never going to be on my record just based on principle and also the fact that auto insurance is not getting any cheaper in Ontario. I sent a note back to my adjustor and asked that they send it to their management outlining my gratefulness and appreciation of their thorough review of my case on a second look, but making it lcear that next year at my renewal I will definitely remember this encounter and that will weigh into my decision to stay with the company or take my business elsewhere.

Although it was a minor collision, even to this point I still get extremely nervous going into an intersection where I see a car waiting to make a right turn and thinking they might try to jump early and what that might mean for me. I have noticed more collisions recently and heading into the winter driving season and the fact that drivers in general seem to be more and more stupid (my theory is COVID caused drivers to be worse) means I am extra cautious now.

Morals of the story for me:

1. Dashcam is now in my vehicle - I argue it is a necessity now and not simply a nice-to-have feature
2. Insurance companies will only go so far especially if you are dealt a lousy adjustor. I had to become my own advocate - similar to the way most of life works though, to be frank.
3. At the end of the day, health and safety of you and your family trumps everything - despite all the negatives here the saving grace I keep coming back to is that my partner and baby were not with me in the car.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30154 posts
16268 upvotes
Toronto
At least you have win some justice back even though nobody really have won.

Can you disclose who is your insurer ?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12441 posts
7032 upvotes
Brampton
Glad you came back to update the thread OP. Also glad it worked out for you.

Good thing you were able to fight them and end up with a positive outcome

I've heard from people in a similar situation except they were incapacitated by the accident and left in a condition where they were fighting to get their life back in addition to fighting the insurance company. Gotta wonder how some people go to sleep at night and what POS insurance companies are.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
1131 posts
1783 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
tebore wrote: Glad you came back to update the thread OP. Also glad it worked out for you.

Good thing you were able to fight them and end up with a positive outcome

I've heard from people in a similar situation except they were incapacitated by the accident and left in a condition where they were fighting to get their life back in addition to fighting the insurance company. Gotta wonder how some people go to sleep at night and what POS insurance companies are.
To be fair very few people remain objective in a car crash situation. Even if it is 100% someone's fault, people will always try to blame the other driver or some other extraneous factor like the weather. People rarely want to admit fault in an accident, it takes someone with a lot of self-awareness to admit when they F'd up, and not too many people have that. The person that OP crashed into probably believes OP was speeding, etc.

Which is why a dashcam is so important, to remain objective.

OP, consider this your one get out of jail free card. Glad you decided to get a dashcam now.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1182 posts
1071 upvotes
ON
I vaguely recall somewhere in my insurance policy literature it is mentioned that if ever you are involved in a motor vehicle accident to never admit your fault.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2014
1028 posts
860 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DIEHARD005 wrote: Update to anyone who may have been interested:

As I somewhat alluded to in my OP (or tried to anyway), I was receiving some horrible service from my own insurance company and specifically my adjustor. My original adjuster was not going to do any work for me and was happy to write my collision off as 50/50 since the other driver lied at the CRC and claimed that I ran the red and without any dashcam footage or witnesses, they were not interested in doing any work themsleves. I literally spent days fighting with them to do their due dilligence but I also made multiple visits to the stores/companies in the vicinity and was quite literally begging the stores to check their CCTV footage to at least see if they would have picked up the collision as I know for a fact I did not run the red. Some people did at least give me the time of day and checked, but many did not which itself was a sad reflection of our society - nobody willing to at least try and help someone in their time of need.

The tipping point was when my adjustor abruptly raised their voice at me on the phone and proceeded to mention "going to a lawyer" and then hung up on me (luckily I put the phone on speaker so my wife was witness to that all) and I decided I had enough. I complained all the way up to their complaints resolution area and posted my experience to date on social media before being contact quickly by their customer service reps and was assigned a new adjustor. The new person was day and night and proactively asked me basic questions such as for pictures of the scene, looking at the detailed report and telling me right away to get a new carseat as mine was involved in the collision and needed to be trashed asap - something that nobody previously mentioned to me despite several mentions at my end of having a newborn who luckily was not in the car at the time of the accient but whose carseat/base was. I still had to demonstrate all the facts of the case including walking the new adjustor through pictures I took, illustrating the dynamics of the intersection via google maps (i was on a downward slope, if I ran the red basic logic is that my speed should have been high enough on a downward hill to cause serious injury or damage which did not happen), mentioning over the lengths I was going to in order to track down video footage, etc - still literally hours and days of my time.

Luckily the new adjustor looked at the facts and even though the other driver clearly lied to the cops, they decided that in all liklihood I was not at fault and deemed me to be 0% at fault. It took weeks and quite a bit of stress but I was willing to fight to as far as I could go in order to ensure this incident was never going to be on my record just based on principle and also the fact that auto insurance is not getting any cheaper in Ontario. I sent a note back to my adjustor and asked that they send it to their management outlining my gratefulness and appreciation of their thorough review of my case on a second look, but making it lcear that next year at my renewal I will definitely remember this encounter and that will weigh into my decision to stay with the company or take my business elsewhere.

Although it was a minor collision, even to this point I still get extremely nervous going into an intersection where I see a car waiting to make a right turn and thinking they might try to jump early and what that might mean for me. I have noticed more collisions recently and heading into the winter driving season and the fact that drivers in general seem to be more and more stupid (my theory is COVID caused drivers to be worse) means I am extra cautious now.

Morals of the story for me:

1. Dashcam is now in my vehicle - I argue it is a necessity now and not simply a nice-to-have feature
2. Insurance companies will only go so far especially if you are dealt a lousy adjustor. I had to become my own advocate - similar to the way most of life works though, to be frank.
3. At the end of the day, health and safety of you and your family trumps everything - despite all the negatives here the saving grace I keep coming back to is that my partner and baby were not with me in the car.
So it was a right turner, not even someone making a left in the intersection in the on coming lane? Right? Anyways, glad it worked out for you. People don't even slow down to make a right on a red until they hit the pedestrian cross walk.
Please respond
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
1131 posts
1783 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Holystone wrote: I vaguely recall somewhere in my insurance policy literature it is mentioned that if ever you are involved in a motor vehicle accident to never admit your fault.
True but people (like what happened to the OP) might even lie whether intentional or not. Some people are reluctant to even give insurance, DL and registration info.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
7220 posts
1313 upvotes
Ottawa
Glad it worked out for you op. I had a similar situation as well, but I told my adjustor no they ran the red and Turned into my lane. They said give us a few days and then I didn’t hear from them nor did I have to pay a deductible. I also got my dashcam after that hehe.

Why can’t car manufactures just put the damn thing in from the factory.

Lesson learned: never trust those mofos that are coming in for a right turn into your lane. It’s those fkkers that don’t stop and just zip in only to make you slam on your brakes. Fkfaces. Morning rant done.
[OP]
Sep 23, 2011
86 posts
39 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Thanks for the support, RFD'ers. A couple thoughts based on some responses:

Won't share the name of the insurer just based on my personal level of comfort, but I will say that they are a smaller company based on the east coast (at least a lot of the customer service reps were) but the adjudicator I had was from the parent company who owned them, a large European Insurance company based in London. That should give you enough to go with, I think.

WRT never admitting fault, I agree on my insurance slip it says clearly not to admit fault or not to sign anything on the scene of the accident or thereafter. When the other driver got out of his car, he was immediately apologizing which went against that and admitted he ran a red. What it does not say to do though is to blatantly lie and that exactly what he did at the CRC. The other driver reported the collision over 24 hours after it occurred, and in that time he was likely coached into putting the blame on me in hopes of his insurer deeming it 50/50 rather than 100% at fault. What that did to me was cause an enormous amount of stress and wasted time in this whole ordeal.

I agree dashcams are necessities but it shouldnt mean that without it, you are shit out of luck. A good adjuster should objectively look at both parties stories, look at the damage to the vehicles and look at the scene of the accident which could have played a part. Dashcams are not required by law and insurers do not offer a discount in premiums for drivers who have one, similar to the way they do for snow tires, so why should an insurer not do their due diligence and investigation in absence of one? That being said, given that new vehicles have rear cameras already, I think its only a matter of time before manufacturers provide the abiliy to record footage and also install a front camera with recording capabilities because it is becoming clear that while things like lane assist, parking monitoring, etc are all great safety features, a dashcam is a very important one as well.