Real Estate

Despite court order, landlords still trying to reclaim luxury homes turned into illegal rooming houses

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2020 9:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48362 posts
11648 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain

Despite court order, landlords still trying to reclaim luxury homes turned into illegal rooming houses

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5813548

Now thats what i call a cluster puck!

Edit :

They nailed him!
He has to pay $36,000!

Not for each land lord though... thats a total of $36,000 split between 12 different landlords!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5825918

They estimate he made $40k/month off this scheme!
Last edited by UrbanPoet on Dec 3rd, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1172 posts
2274 upvotes
GTA
Gotta know the right "people" to get rid of "tenants" like that.
Sep 13, 2007
675 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
man.....the guy's been a career long scammer damn
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5908 posts
5077 upvotes
Another story that deters me from ever wanting to be a landlord. This story makes me both sad and mad that we have such a pathetic system...unbelievable that nothing can be done be about this. The guy is claiming he's been tricked too, yeah right he's a POS too. I also suspect the landlords didn't do their due diligence and were probably desperate to rent since he rented out at the beginning of the pandemic.
UrbanPoet wrote: Are there other scams he’s been charged for? I didnt see any other google searches of him.
"In an interview, Syed told CBC News there's a lot of damage at Zhang's house because he hasn't been allowed to attend to the property since June because of his bail conditions on the fraud charges and the occupants know that. "
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48362 posts
11648 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
hierophant wrote: Another story that deters me from ever wanting to be a landlord. This story makes me both sad and mad that we have such a pathetic system...unbelievable that nothing can be done be about this. The guy is claiming he's been tricked too, yeah right he's a POS too. I also suspect the landlords didn't do their due diligence and were probably desperate to rent since he rented out at the beginning of the pandemic.

"In an interview, Syed told CBC News there's a lot of damage at Zhang's house because he hasn't been allowed to attend to the property since June because of his bail conditions on the fraud charges and the occupants know that. "
Which fraud charges though?
I believe there are fraud charges due to the fake ID’s used to lease the homes.

Did he do other frauds?

Says he has a leased lamborghini! Wth...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5908 posts
5077 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Which fraud charges though?
I believe there are fraud charges due to the fake ID’s used to lease the homes.

Did he do other frauds?

Says he has a leased lamborghini! Wth...
I thought that was unrelated ....I have no idea if he's a career criminal but I certainly wouldn't be surprised. It's highly doubtful this is his first time doing something illegal or criminal.

LTB is a total joke ...at least for landlords.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13002 posts
9929 upvotes
Edmonton
If you click through on the links provided in the article, you'll find this:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5692637
The problem was that the documentation provided to the pair identified Syed as "Arif Saied."

"He changed his name and that's why he tricked us," said Farsian. "We couldn't find any history for him anywhere."

A Google search of Syed's real name would have revealed a history of fraud-related charges.

The Markham man was charged with fraud in 2010 when Toronto police said they had busted an allegedly fraudulent moving company. Those charges were later withdrawn.

Syed is also facing a combined 38 charges from Ontario's vehicle sales regulator for allegedly selling vehicles with rolled back odometers. The charges, which were laid last year, are still before the courts.

Syed originally agreed to a phone interview for this story, but later told CBC News in an email that he could not comment because he has related matters before the courts.

Although in the email, Syed went on to say that although he has evidence to prove the allegations are wrong, he just can't talk about it.
C
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2018
2916 posts
5206 upvotes
Toronto
We can’t say he isn’t entrepreneurial. He is very creative ;)
Called the bottom.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2020
1438 posts
2071 upvotes
I have looked through some court records and found the following. For a man who appears to have made a lot of money he can't even pay for his child to have special behavioural services despite getting funds from the government.

[13] The Syeds filed a joint affidavit sworn March 21, 2012 in support of their motion. They were both cross examined on their affidavits.

[14] In 2009 Arif paid a $132,000 down payment on 4 Beckenridge Drive, Markham. He stated these funds were from a sale of property in Bangladesh and that the property was a gift from his grandparents. He has no documentation for this source of funds.

[15] Arif continues to receive $15,000 to $17,000 a year from an investment in Bangladesh. He refused to provide any details of this investment. He indicated he has a “verbal agreement” with an individual and receives a “percentage out of it”.

[16] Sanjida owns a condominium in Bangladesh. She says it is valued at $53,000 and was purchased for her by her father. Despite a request she provided no documentation of this asset.

[17] Arif has two businesses, an auto repair shop and an auto sales business. He testified these earn income of $1,500 to $2,000 per month in the winter and $2,500 to $3,000 a month in the busy summer months.

[18] The Syeds receive over $900 per month in government benefits, including a child tax credit of $208 per month for their autistic child. That money comes to the Syeds by cheque.

[19] The Syeds travelled to Bangladesh for a month long trip in December of 2011. According to Arif, this trip was paid partly from his business and some “probably” on his credit card. He has provided no credit card statements to support this assertion.

[20] The Syeds purchased a 2004 BMW in July of 2011 for approximately $14,000. This was shortly after the initial Preservation Order. Arif claimed not to know where the money came from to purchase this vehicle. He also claimed the BMW was purchased by his wife for “personal reasons” because they needed a four door family vehicle.

[21] Arif then claims to have purchased the 2004 BMW from Sanjida before the December 19, 2011 Preservation Order was made. He was unsure whether he purchased it for $5,000 or $6,000. He had money from his auto repair business to make this purchase.

[22] As recently as October of 2011 Sanjida admits she spent $7,000 at an auction to purchase vehicles for her own business and as well as other property to resell.

[23] Arif testified that he advertises used cars on “Kijiji” and “Craigslist” in the Greater Toronto Area. He does not sell them locally but rather ships them overseas.

[24] The December 19, 2011 Order of Justice Grace granted preservation of, inter alia, a 2004 Black BMW that was registered to Sanjida’s numbered company. The vehicle was not turned over to the Director of Asset Management despite attempts to obtain the vehicle.

[25] Sanjida claimed that she did not know where the vehicle was. She subsequently advised by email that the vehicle had been sold to her husband and was then sold for scrap.

[26] Despite the fact that the BMW was subject to the Preservation Order, Arif sold the vehicle on March 23, 2012 for $1,800. He claims to have sold it as a “shell”, having removed the parts from the vehicle. He knew the vehicle was covered by the Preservation Order.

[27] The Syeds have tens of thousands of dollars of credit card debt. This is not “new” debt. They have lived on credit for many years.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48362 posts
11648 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
atom2020 wrote: I have looked through some court records and found the following. For a man who appears to have made a lot of money he can't even pay for his child to have special behavioural services despite getting funds from the government.

[13] The Syeds filed a joint affidavit sworn March 21, 2012 in support of their motion. They were both cross examined on their affidavits.

[14] In 2009 Arif paid a $132,000 down payment on 4 Beckenridge Drive, Markham. He stated these funds were from a sale of property in Bangladesh and that the property was a gift from his grandparents. He has no documentation for this source of funds.

[15] Arif continues to receive $15,000 to $17,000 a year from an investment in Bangladesh. He refused to provide any details of this investment. He indicated he has a “verbal agreement” with an individual and receives a “percentage out of it”.

[16] Sanjida owns a condominium in Bangladesh. She says it is valued at $53,000 and was purchased for her by her father. Despite a request she provided no documentation of this asset.

[17] Arif has two businesses, an auto repair shop and an auto sales business. He testified these earn income of $1,500 to $2,000 per month in the winter and $2,500 to $3,000 a month in the busy summer months.

[18] The Syeds receive over $900 per month in government benefits, including a child tax credit of $208 per month for their autistic child. That money comes to the Syeds by cheque.

[19] The Syeds travelled to Bangladesh for a month long trip in December of 2011. According to Arif, this trip was paid partly from his business and some “probably” on his credit card. He has provided no credit card statements to support this assertion.

[20] The Syeds purchased a 2004 BMW in July of 2011 for approximately $14,000. This was shortly after the initial Preservation Order. Arif claimed not to know where the money came from to purchase this vehicle. He also claimed the BMW was purchased by his wife for “personal reasons” because they needed a four door family vehicle.

[21] Arif then claims to have purchased the 2004 BMW from Sanjida before the December 19, 2011 Preservation Order was made. He was unsure whether he purchased it for $5,000 or $6,000. He had money from his auto repair business to make this purchase.

[22] As recently as October of 2011 Sanjida admits she spent $7,000 at an auction to purchase vehicles for her own business and as well as other property to resell.

[23] Arif testified that he advertises used cars on “Kijiji” and “Craigslist” in the Greater Toronto Area. He does not sell them locally but rather ships them overseas.

[24] The December 19, 2011 Order of Justice Grace granted preservation of, inter alia, a 2004 Black BMW that was registered to Sanjida’s numbered company. The vehicle was not turned over to the Director of Asset Management despite attempts to obtain the vehicle.

[25] Sanjida claimed that she did not know where the vehicle was. She subsequently advised by email that the vehicle had been sold to her husband and was then sold for scrap.

[26] Despite the fact that the BMW was subject to the Preservation Order, Arif sold the vehicle on March 23, 2012 for $1,800. He claims to have sold it as a “shell”, having removed the parts from the vehicle. He knew the vehicle was covered by the Preservation Order.

[27] The Syeds have tens of thousands of dollars of credit card debt. This is not “new” debt. They have lived on credit for many years.
Nice one. Lots of juicy details. So he is a huuuge dirt bag and dead beat. Scamming his way through life.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1357 posts
1343 upvotes
Damn, what a nightmare...really feel bad for these landlords. You can screen the tenant and do your due diligence all you want, but it's useless if they provide a fake identity. I can't believe the LTB refused to do anything even though it's blatant fraud.
"I never thought it was actually illegal, I thought 'I'm helping people,'" said Syed.
Wow the nerve of this guy...unbelievable.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1551 posts
871 upvotes
Seems anything that is detached is considered a luxury home these days...

This is pretty representative of how bad being a landlord could be in Ontario.

I do suspect that some landlords know or knew this was happening to their property and simply turned a blind eye so long as rent payments continued to flow. Until COVID, house rental prices were very, very low in the 905.
UrbanPoet wrote: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5813548

Now thats what i call a cluster puck!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2020
1438 posts
2071 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Nice one. Lots of juicy details. So he is a huuuge dirt bag and dead beat. Scamming his way through life.
I know honestly this guy disgusts me. I feel terrible for the owners of those houses. Honestly wonder if they ever got their kid the needed therapy. I have a feeling they did not despite making all this money on renting out all of these rooms.
Apr 14, 2006
410 posts
268 upvotes
I no longer invest in rental properties in Canada. While I still hold some here all new investments are directed south. US has a much greater return and a more fair system.

They need to have landlord / tenant court records public like in the US. You trash a place its public information...you don't return a deposit when its fair same thing. Eviction records are public as well.

That way all parties are accountable.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
17330 posts
14724 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
cal653 wrote: I no longer invest in rental properties in Canada. While I still hold some here all new investments are directed south. US has a much greater return and a more fair system.

They need to have landlord / tenant court records public like in the US. You trash a place its public information...you don't return a deposit when its fair same thing. Eviction records are public as well.

Completely agree. And why I'm easing out of rentals.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2018
2916 posts
5206 upvotes
Toronto
cal653 wrote: I no longer invest in rental properties in Canada. While I still hold some here all new investments are directed south. US has a much greater return and a more fair system.

On top of that, new construction prices don’t justify the risk taken. I am also done with real estate here I think. The juice ain’t worth the squeeze anymore...
Called the bottom.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48362 posts
11648 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Edited OP with updates ...

They nailed him!
He has to pay $36,000!

Not for each land lord though... thats a total of $36,000 split between 12 different landlords!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5825918

They estimate he made $40k/month off this scheme!

He had a $5k lease payment on his bank records... which was determined to be for his lamborghini!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1286 posts
1204 upvotes
ON
So by paying back a month’s profit your crime is legitimized and you’re free to go? Whoever said crime doesn’t pay!
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
11491 posts
14744 upvotes
Toronto
He got off light, should have had to pay more plus jail time. Our justice system is a joke it's almost better to be a criminal and get a slap on the wrist than to work for a living.

Watch all these people who scammed over $10k from CERB get to keep it too.