Detached house with shared driveway with Neighbor, will it affect the value

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2019 2:21 pm
[OP]
May 22, 2019
444 posts
88 upvotes

Detached house with shared driveway with Neighbor, will it affect the value

If a detached house has a shared driveway with the neighbour, see the map attached.

How will the shared driveway affect the value of the property? I am looking at properties in Etobicoke, I found a lot of detached houses have shared driveway with the neighour. The houses are built in the 1940s, however, I found that those with shared driveways seldom get purchased by investors and builders; where most other properties in the area were purchased by builders.

I am wondering will shared driveway be a major road block at Ontario Municipal Board OMB (or its current predecessor) when you consider to rebuild the house?
Images
  • shared_driveway.PNG
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5889 posts
6087 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, mutual drives usually impact value negatively. Neither property may permanently encumber the drive (structures) but either party can use/park it at any time potentially blocking the other, if you get into a neighbour bun fight.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1049 posts
1418 upvotes
Stouffville ON
Yes it does affect especially builders or anyone who wants to tear it down and rebuilt, unless they buy a whole block to redevelop, in most cases if they want to build a detached house on the existing lot, the house would need to meet current living standards of size and conviniences which in most cases means at least double the living area and attached garage, with this set up you just can't do it.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
[OP]
May 22, 2019
444 posts
88 upvotes
So if I submit a zoning change request to tear down the current property, without getting the nod from the neighbour who shared the same driveway with me, I would most likely getting rejected?
senasena wrote: Yes it does affect especially builders or anyone who wants to tear it down and rebuilt, unless they buy a whole block to redevelop, in most cases if they want to build a detached house on the existing lot, the house would need to meet current living standards of size and conviniences which in most cases means at least double the living area and attached garage, with this set up you just can't do it.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1049 posts
1418 upvotes
Stouffville ON
Well, not only you have to deal with zoning, set backs, minor adjustment committee, etc, now you also have easements on the property, easements are pretty common (utilities etc) and as long they are minor and do not prevent from erecting the house that is desirable the builders will be interested in the lot, in your example it is much harder to do.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11907 posts
8172 upvotes
Edmonton
ilovetoyota wrote: So if I submit a zoning change request to tear down the current property, without getting the nod from the neighbour who shared the same driveway with me, I would most likely getting rejected?
How would you feel if you bought a house to live in, and your neighbor tore up "their" part of the shared driveway and made it impossible for you to get your car into your rear garage? Yes, you'd have difficulties getting that approved, I'd guess.

C
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1292 posts
635 upvotes
ilovetoyota wrote: So if I submit a zoning change request to tear down the current property, without getting the nod from the neighbour who shared the same driveway with me, I would most likely getting rejected?
So long as your proposed build doesn't impact the shared driveway and meets all zoning requirements, their voice is essentially nil - they have no standing to get your application 'rejected'. Ideally you get on their good side, because your build will probably temporarily impact the shared driveway.
Jun 1, 2019
188 posts
217 upvotes
It sounds like you are trying to buy a property for rebuild/investment purposes. I run into many situations with sellers that have OVERIMPROVED a property that has an undesirable, unchangeable feature that will always limit the upper value. Examples of these kids of features (aside from shared driveways) include 1.5 storey construction; no garage with no possibility to add one; bad neighbourhood; etc. Almost no one wants to spend premium $$ for a new, beautiful house with a shared drive. You are probably attracted to these houses because of their lower prices. The prices are low for a reason - the longer term upside is significantly hampered.
Full Service Realtor
Niagara / Hamilton-Burlington