Expired Hot Deals

Detour Coffee Roasters - 15% off entire order

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2020 11:46 am
Oct 25, 2001
498 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
H3ll3r wrote: Is it worth the extra cost over other decent options such as Kicking Horse coffee? I have an SCA coffee machine and quality burr grinder. I enjoy Kicking Horse coffee, but I don't know if I'm missing something with beans like these. It is quite a bit more expensive per pound, almost 3x the price of KH at 10$ / lb!
Does Kicking Horse have a roast date on the bag? If not that’s probably a decent indicator that it’s not in the same league as roasters who do.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2045 posts
2069 upvotes
Miguel Sánchez wrote: Does Kicking Horse have a roast date on the bag? If not that’s probably a decent indicator that it’s not in the same league as roasters who do.
Of course they don't have a roasting date. Kicking Horse is an oily mess meant to keep on the store shelf. It's in the same league as Starbucks. Some people like that kind of coffee, but freshly roasted it is not.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2003
1832 posts
230 upvotes
Toronto
Any recommendations for which bag would make a good cold brew? I used a PC espresso pre ground bag my first time but it took forever to strain because it was ground so fine. I have a burr grinder so I can adjust the coarseness from a whole bean. TIA!
Mar 18, 2008
487 posts
148 upvotes
Miguel Sánchez wrote: Does Kicking Horse have a roast date on the bag? If not that’s probably a decent indicator that it’s not in the same league as roasters who do.

I seem to remember someone mentioning they contacted them and they said the roasting date was something like 8 months ( maybe it was 10 or 12, I can't quite remember) from the best before date on the bags.
Sep 17, 2007
680 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
I can't use google pay and get the discount. To get the discount, the option to enter the code appears only on the credit card page...
So full price with gpay?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2045 posts
2069 upvotes
atl5 wrote: As a fellow coffee snob, wanted to let people know about Agro, one of the top roaster out of BC and have the best pricing. $28 for 2lb, which is better than any other third wave coffee shop.
That is a good price if the quality is there. Will give them a spin next time I need coffee. Do they include a roasting date? A little odd that all their coffees are exactly same price. Which type would you recommend for drip machine/aeropress? Not much detail about each coffee but I was looking at Sumatra and Peru as my first candidates.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14263 posts
2314 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
thelasthunter wrote: Of course they don't have a roasting date. Kicking Horse is an oily mess meant to keep on the store shelf. It's in the same league as Starbucks. Some people like that kind of coffee, but freshly roasted it is not.
Finally. Beware though, the RFD KH PR crew may wake up! I keep finding PC Gourmet to be equal to KH and it costs much much less. (Currently on sale at $8.88/2lb). Otherwise, for actual light and medium roast, try the local roasters. Once you have experienced true light coffee, there's no way to go back to Hola or SB light brands.

If you drink dark, go with any of them, they are pretty OK, specially if you add milk/cream as it is..
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14263 posts
2314 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
grego9198 wrote: Any recommendations for which bag would make a good cold brew? I used a PC espresso pre ground bag my first time but it took forever to strain because it was ground so fine. I have a burr grinder so I can adjust the coarseness from a whole bean. TIA!
Keep using PC for cold brew, it's more forgiving of quality when its cold brew. Use Coarse grind though.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14263 posts
2314 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Guys -- If you don't have Aeropress, this with 15% off is an amazing deal. Cheapest anywhere given its never on sale.
Feb 16, 2003
475 posts
52 upvotes
Yes they have a roasted date. Would recommend the Peru and roaster’s choice for filter and Aeropress. They are amongst the best roaster in BC, check here:

https://www.vancouvercoffeesnob.com/lis ... uver-2019/
thelasthunter wrote: That is a good price if the quality is there. Will give them a spin next time I need coffee. Do they include a roasting date? A little odd that all their coffees are exactly same price. Which type would you recommend for drip machine/aeropress? Not much detail about each coffee but I was looking at Sumatra and Peru as my first candidates.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2045 posts
2069 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: Finally. Beware though, the RFD KH PR crew may wake up! I keep finding PC Gourmet to be equal to KH and it costs much much less. (Currently on sale at $8.88/2lb). Otherwise, for actual light and medium roast, try the local roasters. Once you have experienced true light coffee, there's no way to go back to Hola or SB light brands.

If you drink dark, go with any of them, they are pretty OK, specially if you add milk/cream as it is..
Let that crew like their KH. The problems with dark roasted coffees have been amply documented. Biggest issues are no date and the dark roast kills any individual taste profile of the bean (which is exactly what Kicking Horse wants).
Jan 24, 2009
887 posts
534 upvotes
Montreal
smartie wrote: I like light roast too. Any recommendations other than detour
Thanks
Ethical Bean Exotic is excellent for the price. Ethiopian beans, single source. Loblaws/Provigo or Amazon often on sale for $10 for 340g bag.