Device to plug into my HDMI tv and use devices internet browser

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2016 7:56 pm
[OP]
Aug 30, 2016
51 posts
6 upvotes

Device to plug into my HDMI tv and use devices internet browser

All I need is a decent internet browser I can use on TV to play videos from different websites. So whats a cheap device that has a good built in browser that i can surf and play videos that I can plug into my TV's HDMI PORT? I dont need features like netflix, apps, etc, already have that on my ps3 (and it's internet browser sucks-cant watch any videos), but I'm guessing there are only devices that als offer these apps so I guess there might not be much choise there.. but all i need is a decent browser!! I dont need fancy specs and I dont want to hook up a pc/laptop to my TV.

and it would have enable USB keyboard and/or mouse, hopefully.
really lost a bit here. suggestions would really help! thanks
23 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19319 posts
981 upvotes
Would you consider the web browser on your phone/tablet decent ?
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1452 upvotes
Richmond
The problem is that most devices offering limited web browsers do not support common web video sites, which often require custom plugins for video format compatibility or DRM.

Your best bet is a PC/laptop that you can either plug in to your TV via HDMI, or perhaps use screen mirroring via Chromecast or Miracast. You could also use screen mirroring with your phone or tablet.

If not that, then you could try a cheap Android TV box running a mobile web browser like Chrome. But you'd also want to buy a remote keyboard for it, so add at least another $30 to the $50 base cost.
Last edited by Faith24 on Oct 12th, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5531 posts
4854 upvotes
nichman1 wrote: All I need is a decent internet browser I can use on TV to play videos from different websites. So whats a cheap device that has a good built in browser that i can surf and play videos that I can plug into my TV's HDMI PORT? I dont need features like netflix, apps, etc, already have that on my ps3 (and it's internet browser sucks-cant watch any videos), but I'm guessing there are only devices that als offer these apps so I guess there might not be much choise there.. but all i need is a decent browser!! I dont need fancy specs and I dont want to hook up a pc/laptop to my TV.

and it would have enable USB keyboard and/or mouse, hopefully.
really lost a bit here. suggestions would really help! thanks
Not sure what you're looking for exactly? Sounds like a Chromecast might work if you're okay with casting from your phone or tablet.... if you want at keyboard/mouse, your best bet is probably a barebones PC. You could also look at getting an Android box, but I find my PC to be much more useful.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9599 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
sounds like your better off with a PC / Laptop, since you need a keyboard / mouse because with special boxes, you wuld need to buy special keyboards / mouses just to use on the box. much easier to buy a laptop or a desktop.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
[OP]
Aug 30, 2016
51 posts
6 upvotes
Faith24 wrote: The problem is that most devices offering limited web browsers do not support common web video sites, which often require custom plugins for video format compatibility or DRM.

Your best bet is a PC/laptop that you can either plug in to your TV via HDMI, or perhaps use screen mirroring via Chromecast or Miracast. You could also use screen mirroring with your phone or tablet.

If not that, then you could try a cheap Android TV box running a mobile web browser like Chrome. But you'd also want to buy a remote keyboard for it, so add at least another $30 to the $50 base cost.
Any specific android tv box? im no expert on them. tho it would need to have wireless keyboard use where i can plug in the usb receiver, and play 1080p vids.
feel free to leave links

And I'm not into using pc/laptop.
if nothing..how well would a chromecast work with my nexus 10? would it be able to cast anything thats on my nexus 10? any lag? anyone have experience here?
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1452 upvotes
Richmond
The Chromecast works well for casting from both laptops and Android devices. There is some lag, so it doesn't work well for games, but it's not an issue with video.

For an Android box, buy one from Amazon.ca for quick shipping, reasonable price with no tax, and guaranteed return in case of any problems. Make sure it's "Fulfilled by Amazon". Currently most people are looking for any box based on the S905 or S905X chipset (stable), preferably with 2 Gbytes of RAM for more speed, but 1 Gbyte will work if you see a great price. The boxes are pretty generic, all based on the same circuit boards and chipsets, and there should be some for under $50. A few have better WiFi chipsets if you plan to use WiFi (e.g., dual-band AC). Mostly they come with just a cheap generic remote control, and you have to buy a keyboard separately, usually the Logitech or Microsoft keyboard for under $30.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2324 posts
945 upvotes
I use a chromecast and a chromebook. You can easily cast youtube videos. There are chrome extensions to cast vimeo (and dailymotion?) too. But I've never tried them.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
[OP]
Aug 30, 2016
51 posts
6 upvotes
Faith24 wrote: The Chromecast works well for casting from both laptops and Android devices. There is some lag, so it doesn't work well for games, but it's not an issue with video.

For an Android box, buy one from Amazon.ca for quick shipping, reasonable price with no tax, and guaranteed return in case of any problems. Make sure it's "Fulfilled by Amazon". Currently most people are looking for any box based on the S905 or S905X chipset (stable), preferably with 2 Gbytes of RAM for more speed, but 1 Gbyte will work if you see a great price. The boxes are pretty generic, all based on the same circuit boards and chipsets, and there should be some for under $50. A few have better WiFi chipsets if you plan to use WiFi (e.g., dual-band AC). Mostly they come with just a cheap generic remote control, and you have to buy a keyboard separately, usually the Logitech or Microsoft keyboard for under $30.
Thanks for the great reply. If I cast from my nexus 10, does its screen need to be one while I watch a video or can i turn the screen off and still watch the video thats being sent thru chromecast onto my tv?
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1452 upvotes
Richmond
If you are screen-mirroring, then the Nexus screen has to stay on. If you are "casting" from an app or web page that has a Chromecast icon, then the Chromecast takes over the streaming job independently, and the phone can be shut off if you want.
Nov 6, 2006
225 posts
120 upvotes
Coquitlam
I've been looking into something similar but I have found that MS Edge Browser has a "cast" function that lets you cast the browser to a DLNA device. I just tried it once today though - seemed okay.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26047 posts
11519 upvotes
Assuming you have a PC somewhere else in the building, how about a Steam Link?
This way you get a full PC experience without the full PC.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2016
51 posts
6 upvotes
d3van wrote: I've been looking into something similar but I have found that MS Edge Browser has a "cast" function that lets you cast the browser to a DLNA device. I just tried it once today though - seemed okay.
what is a DLNA device? does a ps3 count?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8534 upvotes
GTHA
nichman1 wrote:
d3van wrote: I've been looking into something similar but I have found that MS Edge Browser has a "cast" function that lets you cast the browser to a DLNA device. I just tried it once today though - seemed okay.
what is a DLNA device? does a ps3 count?
A standard which allows devices to communicate between each other.

Yes, PS3 is a DNLA certified device.

Find more at http://www.dlna.org/products/
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2324 posts
945 upvotes
nichman1 wrote: what is a DLNA device?
tk1000 wrote: A standard which allows devices to, sometimes, communicate between each other.
fixed it for you :P
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet