• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2020 2:35 pm
[OP]
Dec 11, 2013
390 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto

Dewalt Construction vs Precision Blades

Need a new blade for my mitre saw. I can get one precision 12" 80T blades for $140, or a 3 pack that comes with 2 construction 80T blades for $130.

Is the precision going to last more than twice as long, or is it miles better?
11 replies
Nov 6, 2014
632 posts
936 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
If you're doing trim work and finish carpentry work go with a good brand name like diablo, milwaukee or dewalt as the blades are truer better balanced and use better materials. If you're doing rough construction grade cuts like framing or decking, you can go with the more cost effective blades. I always shop for the best blade deals on Amazon when necessary.
[OP]
Dec 11, 2013
390 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely going with a Dewalt blade, just trying to find out if their precision line is worth more than double their construction line for the 80 tooth count.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16559 posts
6690 upvotes
You can sharpen the Precision but not sure you can sharpen the construction line. Factor that into your total cost if you plan to have / use the blade for awhile.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8827 posts
4501 upvotes
Paris
JFlash20 wrote: Definitely going with a Dewalt blade, just trying to find out if their precision line is worth more than double their construction line for the 80 tooth count.
I have a 96t Dewalt 12” woodworking blade that was $140 in 2004. Zero tear out in soft pine trim. Was worth it.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2227 posts
1217 upvotes
Alliston, ON
If you are going to spend that amount of money on a blade, I'd look into the FS Tool blades. They are a bit more than the Dewalt, but with signup codes giving an extra 10-15% off it brings the price closer to it. FS Tool blades are also far superior to the Dewalt
[OP]
Dec 11, 2013
390 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: Dewalt blades aren't the best for the money, IMO. Go with Diablo.
The combination 60 is pretty reasonably priced, think I will give it a try.
schade wrote: If you are going to spend that amount of money on a blade, I'd look into the FS Tool blades. They are a bit more than the Dewalt, but with signup codes giving an extra 10-15% off it brings the price closer to it. FS Tool blades are also far superior to the Dewalt
Thanks, will bookmark for later. Need to grab tomorrow, so this is off the table for this time around.
Sep 12, 2017
82 posts
44 upvotes
Not initially. They wil both cut the same. If I recall the precision blades have a larger carbide tip. They can be resharpened more than the construction series. Construction crews generally don't give a crap about the blades and regularly ruin them on nail embedded wood and other jobsite shenannigans. So no point in making them be able to be resharpened multiple times, they'll never last long enough to get to that point.

There's lots of good blades out there. My preference is to stay away from all the blades focused on longer battery life. They tend to have a thinner kerf, and more likely to wander than a full kerf blade.

I've been looking at some really well priced blades on Amazon called Orange Tornado. I have one in my cart for my next purchase to try on my Dewalt Tracksaw. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07JZF ... BRHQ&psc=1

CHM.
Sep 12, 2017
82 posts
44 upvotes
schade wrote: If you are going to spend that amount of money on a blade, I'd look into the FS Tool blades. They are a bit more than the Dewalt, but with signup codes giving an extra 10-15% off it brings the price closer to it. FS Tool blades are also far superior to the Dewalt
Nice stuff. That 12" premium has an ATB+R tooth combo that you don't see too often.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6325 posts
987 upvotes
I installed a Diablo on mine and I was really impressed with the result (as compared to the original manufacturers blade which admittedly is a low standard to begin with).