DeWalt Planer at Busy Bee Tools

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2010 9:19 am
[OP]
Dec 17, 2008
63 posts
79 upvotes

[Busy Bee Tools] DeWalt Planer at Busy Bee Tools

Got the new Busy Bee flyer and they have the DW735 AGAIN for $599!
Home Depot is at $649 and most other places are at $749.
I have this unit so just a heads to anyone in the market, its a HOT price.
Their flyer is not up on their site yet but prob should be soon.
check here otherwise. www.busybeetools.com

Also, Busy Bee has a big sale this weekend in Ottawa for their new store, lucky me, I'll be in Ottawa this weekend visiting family, now I have to convince the wife to do a stop over at BB :)
23 replies
Jan 19, 2006
913 posts
82 upvotes
The regular price is $599, it used to be that at Home Depot for the longest time. They usually have 20% off dewalt and ridgid tools so people usually waited until then to get it cheaper. I've seen it for $499 last fall through a bunch of price matching and sale combinations.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2008
63 posts
79 upvotes
$499? I haven't seen that as well since last year. Home Depot's web site has it listed at $699 right now.
If the 20% promo comes along again, it would be a good price. Usually their 20% off power tools doesn't apply to stationary tools.

Either way, what we need is cheaper power tools anyway we can get em!
Jul 19, 2004
178 posts
64 upvotes
It was $499 in BC at Summit Tools and KMS at some point last year. I PM'd at Home depot and they beat it by 10% of $499.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
4325 posts
8151 upvotes
Abbotsford B.C.
Does HD pricematch to 10% ?

I always see signs that "other stores flyers are our flyers"

so I know they'll PM, but I didn't think they did the 10%
Jan 19, 2006
913 posts
82 upvotes
Yes, they do beat it by 10%, that's how I got my Bosch mitre saw last year. I price matched Rona for that one.

Honestly, I wouldna't pay more than $550 for the 735 planer. I'd get the 734 12.5" planer for $399 (if you can find it for that price). I've seen it at Busy Bee for $399 for about 6 months last yet, then it went up a bit. I have the 734, I don't miss that extra .5" and the 2nd speed on the other unit is a stupid idea, you'll never use it.
Paying an extra $200 for the 735 isn't worth it in my opinion. Also, that chip extrator blower has a lot of problems, and it clogs up a lot. If you have a good dust collector you don't need that.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2008
63 posts
79 upvotes
It depends on what you are planing out.
I like having the wiggle room of a 13" planer, but I suppose you are right, it may not be a 'necessity'. Then there are upgrade factors on the DW735 like adding a Shelix spiral cutterhead on, however I cant find a place that will sell it for a reasonable price.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1769 posts
670 upvotes
raskal wrote: Does HD pricematch to 10% ?

I always see signs that "other stores flyers are our flyers"

so I know they'll PM, but I didn't think they did the 10%
HD has quietly changed their price match policy to exclude the 10% discount if the price matched item is on sale. They will only match the special price.

I was recently in the Oakville-Burloak HD and the tools salesman wrote up a slit to match and beat by 10% for a new DeWalt sawzall. When I got to the cash, the cashier asked if the competing price was a sale price and of course I said that it was part of their "Monthly Special". When she finished ringing it in, I asked where my 10% off was and she said that they no longer do that for items on special.

Bottom line, shop at Lowes (if you have one in your area)!

P.S. I've had better luck at the Burlington-Guelph Line HD when it comes to price matches. The lady manager of that store is great!
Jan 19, 2006
913 posts
82 upvotes
Lowes is really expensive through it seems, I remember seeing that same planer there for $100 than Home Depot !
[OP]
Dec 17, 2008
63 posts
79 upvotes
My B.I.L also mentioned that HD has recently made changes to their 10% match/beat policy. Last time he was in the store, same thing happened.

Lowes is hit or miss I find, just like anywhere else I guess.
In regards to tools though, I have got accustom to not getting ANY help in HD or CT and now that I am used to it, it doesn't bother me.
Good to know that at Busy Bee you can ask real questions on tools and get honest help. Rather spend my $$ there.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1565 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
I'm in the market for a combo jointer/planer, are there any good deals out there ? I'm just starting out.
Aug 11, 2003
434 posts
7 upvotes
For those in the Prairie provinces, Cdn Woodworkers in Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Saskatoon has the Dewalt 13in on sale untill March 31 for$579.95 Everything is on sale untill March 31.
Dec 30, 2007
844 posts
41 upvotes
NuggyBuggy wrote: I'm in the market for a combo jointer/planer, are there any good deals out there ? I'm just starting out.
I don't think there's any such animal. You have a planer, and you have a jointer, two different operations by two totally different machines.

A jointer is used to flatten and square one edge or side of a board to make it perfectly flat.

A planer is used to create a certain precise thickness of the board.
The Cheaper the better
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1565 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
MrCheap wrote: I don't think there's any such animal. You have a planer, and you have a jointer, two different operations by two totally different machines.

A jointer is used to flatten and square one edge or side of a board to make it perfectly flat.

A planer is used to create a certain precise thickness of the board.
Ridgid Jointer Planer
Article on combo machines
Jan 19, 2006
913 posts
82 upvotes
NuggyBuggy wrote: I'm in the market for a combo jointer/planer, are there any good deals out there ? I'm just starting out.
For someone starting out don't waste your money. Get a used 6" jointer and then a used/new planer. Trust me, you'll be replacing your mastercraft stuff and buying the real machines shortly afterwards.
Dec 30, 2007
42 posts
2 upvotes
ottawa
I bought this same model for 599 - 20% from HD about 4 years ago. It is awesome, easy to use and performs wonderfully.

If you don't have one, you should have a dust collector or the skirt that directs the shaving and dust into a garbage can as this can make a mess.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1565 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Paladin2025 wrote: NuggyBuggy,

Most woodworkers would just consider the ridgid a jointer.
Paladin, why is that? Can you not use the Ridgid to plane a surface flat relative to an opposite, flat, face ? I know that this machine doesn't "look" like a conventional benchtop planer, but can't it do the same thing, that a regular jointer-only machine can't do ?
ScoFF wrote: For someone starting out don't waste your money. Get a used 6" jointer and then a used/new planer. Trust me, you'll be replacing your mastercraft stuff and buying the real machines shortly afterwards.
Scoff, thanks for the note. I bought a Mastercraft miter saw and table saw (latter still in the box) and after doing a little work with the miter saw, and a socket set I have bought from them, and getting frustrated with them, I swore off cheap tools. I just bought a Festool saw and table, and they are truly precision tools.
Jan 19, 2006
913 posts
82 upvotes
NuggyBuggy wrote: Can you not use the Ridgid to plane a surface flat relative to an opposite, flat, face ? I know that this machine doesn't "look" like a conventional benchtop planer, but can't it do the same thing, that a regular jointer-only machine can't do ?

What Ridgid thing are you mentioning?

Scoff, thanks for the note. I bought a Mastercraft miter saw and table saw (latter still in the box) and after doing a little work with the miter saw, and a socket set I have bought from them, and getting frustrated with them, I swore off cheap tools. I just bought a Festool saw and table, and they are truly precision tools.
The only Mastercraft things I own are small things that I don't really care about, screwdrivers, an angle grinder, shopvac, clamps, flashlights - they're great for that. When you want fast repeatable accurate straignt cuts you should look elsewhere. The Dewalt planers are very popular and good, many seasonal woodworkers have those.

I went through the stage of replacing all of my Mastercraft stuff with better quality tools. If only someone had told me I was wasting my money on stuff like table saws, saw blades etc. I almost bought that Mastercraft jointer too ! That would have been a mistake. It's hard not too though, if you wait long enough they put everything on 50%-70% off.

I learned that if you're on a budget it's a good idea to buy a used namebrand tool (Porter Cable, Dewalt, Delta, Rockwell Beaver, King Industrial etc.) than a newer cheaper tool.

You got a Festool !?! Holy break the bank Batman.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1565 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
ScoFF wrote: You got a Festool !?! Holy break the bank Batman.
Yeah... It turns out I seem to be very sensitive to fairly small amounts of dust (after a few cuts I am hacking for days) and it's pretty clear their dust collection is just about the best on the market. I don't really have room for a table saw and I work in a room which is connected directly to my cottage. I have two young kids so I don't want dust getting them sick, either.

When I first started, I thought there was no way I could justify the cost of Festool. I started getting sick from dust so I spent hundreds of dollars on dust collector, dust collection fittings, respirator, etc. and they still didn't help much because my cheap tools were not good at capturing the dust at source. I could have saved those hundreds of dollars and put it towards the Festool.