Diamond Resorts International - Vacation Club

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2020 12:39 pm
[OP]
Jun 29, 2020
2 posts

Diamond Resorts International - Vacation Club

Hello,
I have been searching Red Flag Deals online for some information regarding Diamond Resorts International - Vacation Club, based out of Las Vegas.
I have read some threads on RFD regarding Timeshares, and there is lots of negative information online regarding Diamond Resorts International.

I am hoping to find Members in Canada that have positive stories to share (if there are any), to possibly discuss experiences with this Company and advice on how to maximize Membership with Diamond points system.

Obviously, COVID has presented new challenges for Canadians with Timeshares/Points and wanting to travel outside of the Country.
Hopefully, this will change sooner rather than later.

Any constructive comments regarding Diamond Resorts International would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
LC
9 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15251 posts
12413 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Honestly ...

There isn’t much positive to be said about Timeshares cuz they are expensive
And sold to people who are told they are a good deal by slick salespeople
They are not ... for most people they are a nightmare (hence all the bad reviews you’ll find)

Buying a vacation 5, 10, 15, 20 or 25 years in advance is a ridiculous concept

You cannot predict who you’ll be in that timespan ... or what may or may not interest
What you like at 25 or 30 ... will rarely be the same at 40, 50 or 60
Priorities change

And yet your contract won’t
High yearly fees ... with little to no recourse / money back in your pocket if you get out

And god forbid something dreadful happens ...
A natural disaster - Covid - a war or Terrorist attack etc *
The Company goes bankrupt etc

* This certainly isn’t the first time in my adult life that travel was restricted

Truth is save your money
Put it in the bank / invest it
Plan for your vacations like any other expense
Go where you want, when you want ... how you want
Over the course of any time share contract you’ll come out further ahead ... and RICHER for it ... in many ways including financial

EDIT / ADD - here’s a similar thread from March
vacation-timeshare-2361043/
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4708 posts
4235 upvotes
LondonChris33 wrote: I have read some threads on RFD regarding Timeshares, and there is lots of negative information online regarding Diamond Resorts International.
Any constructive comments regarding Diamond Resorts International would be very much appreciated
What are you, a timeshare sales rep looking for something to use for your sales pitch?

If there's "lots of negative information online" you've gotten the "constructive comments" you need. Meaning, run, don't walk, away from Diamond Resorts International.
If I see a restaurant that gets 1 star on Google/Yelp/TripAdvisor and a lot of bad reviews, I won't eat there. Plenty of other restaurants to choose from. Same goes for vacation ideas.
Reminder #1: Kraρrig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Reminder #2: The burger chain with the Big Mac is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Get it right.
[OP]
Jun 29, 2020
2 posts
Thank you for the reply, makes sense but I am hoping to hear from someone in Canada that has purchased a Membership with Diamond and if there are any positive experiences or comments.
I understand Vacation Club/Timeshare plans are not for everyone.
Cheers

* Nope, not a Sales Rep for Diamond just trying to find some other Canadians that are current Diamond Resort members.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4708 posts
4235 upvotes
LondonChris33 wrote: Thank you for the reply, makes sense but I am hoping to hear from someone in Canada that has purchased a Membership with Diamond and if there are any positive experiences or comments.
I understand Vacation Club/Timeshare plans are not for everyone.
Cheers
* Nope, not a Sales Rep for Diamond just trying to find some other Canadians that are current Diamond Resort members.
You're on the wrong forum. RFD are generally smart/knowledgeable consumers who know better than to get suckered into scams like timeshares, MLM, etc. You came to the wrong place.

I'm sure there's a forum out there full of timeshare shills that will be falling all over themselves trying to get you to buy so they get their commission.
Reminder #1: Kraρrig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Reminder #2: The burger chain with the Big Mac is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Get it right.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15251 posts
12413 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: You're on the wrong forum. RFD are generally smart/knowledgeable consumers who know better than to get suckered into scams like timeshares, MLM, etc. You came to the wrong place.

I'm sure there's a forum out there full of timeshare shills that will be falling all over themselves trying to get you to buy so they get their commission.
Or in the very least ... we know there are plenty of forums / websites where one finds Timeshare Owners trying to sell or offload their properties / contracts

Often at RED HOT FIRE SALE prices ... Fire Fire Fire

Lol, actually plenty of timeshare owners prob go to bed every night WISHING their property would get hit by lightning & burn down ... if it meant there would finally be a real way out of their contracts
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2048 posts
550 upvotes
Woodbridge
Why don't you try it and report back to us in 1 year.
Why not give it a shot.
Oct 13, 2011
760 posts
487 upvotes
Forget any other timeshares, a resale Disney Vacation Club contract is probably the only timeshare that is worthwhile looking into.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1773 posts
1304 upvotes
GTA West
LondonChris33 wrote: Hello,
I have been searching Red Flag Deals online for some information regarding Diamond Resorts International - Vacation Club, based out of Las Vegas.
I have read some threads on RFD regarding Timeshares, and there is lots of negative information online regarding Diamond Resorts International.

I am hoping to find Members in Canada that have positive stories to share (if there are any), to possibly discuss experiences with this Company and advice on how to maximize Membership with Diamond points system.

Obviously, COVID has presented new challenges for Canadians with Timeshares/Points and wanting to travel outside of the Country.
Hopefully, this will change sooner rather than later.

Any constructive comments regarding Diamond Resorts International would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
LC
I assume you bought one and are committed to it. So your question is reasonable and comparing notes with other purchasers is a good way to keep on top of developments with Diamond and trade tips. You may not find many here, but I am sure there are lots of Diamond buyers.

I have a colleague who has used his timeshare in most years for as long as I have known him - some 20 years. He seems to enjoy his vacations although some of the properties and destinations don't seem to exciting to me. The worst he will say about his timeshare is that he probably wouldn't do it over again but it seems like he got value from it.

There was a long analysis done by Consumers Reports some years ago that concluded a timeshare could become cost-effective for those who could use it for at least 13 - 15 years. I think the older generation was more likely to enjoy doing the same vacation every year, and the delights of a familiar place. Like lots of folks do 10 - 20 years in the same trailer park or Condo in Florida.

Consumer Reports did another report to warn readers know that the companies soliciting fees to get out of time shares over-promise or represent outright scams. I would say that if people can be sold a timeshare in the first place, they are probably prone to be scammed trying to get out as well.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18438 posts
2806 upvotes
Langley
Like asking for positive comments on a shit sandwich.

Well... the bread was ok.

All kidding aside, the people who have good things to say are the ones who don't do the math on all the costs - that is, they especially don't consider opportunity cost, compounding interest, or the increases in "maintenance" fees.

If you just want to enjoy it, then just use it and forget about the money. Cause as soon as you dive deeply into the numbers, then you'll be trying to get out of it.

Some of them can be ok if you really want to do the same thing every year, at the same time. That's about the nicest thing I can say about them.