Personal Finance

Did anyone change CRA direct deposit information through online banking?

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2021 9:07 pm
[OP]
Jan 24, 2015
321 posts
34 upvotes
Oakville

Did anyone change CRA direct deposit information through online banking?

how long did it take?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1913 posts
1673 upvotes
I cannot tell you the exact time to know the effective change. Some said 2 weeks minimum notice.
I did it through Tangerine for GST dd, roughly 20 days before the next GST rebate due for direct deposit.
It would be wise to keep your 'old' bank account opened for scheduled dd if you miss the in-between process through your bank or until you get dd in your new account.
My life ambition is ....
Live long enough to be as big nuisance to my posterity as they have been to me.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2015
321 posts
34 upvotes
Oakville
When did you change it through Tangerine? Did you receive any confirmation email from Tangerine or CRA? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1913 posts
1673 upvotes
ChristineY wrote: When did you change it through Tangerine? Did you receive any confirmation email from Tangerine or CRA? Thanks.
I dont think there was a confirmation email from CRA as I did not register an online account with CRA.
If I remembered correctly, Tangerine posted an acknowledgement note on the screen after I registered DD.
Honestly, I didnt follow-up further as I was getting cheques from CRA in the past.
If you are concerned, take a screenshot on each step when you register DD with your bank.

BTW, BE CAREFUL not to use your bank ID login as the means to login into your CRA account as I heard stories of CRA accounts being 'hacked'.
Do register separately with CRA ie CRA ID, password etc. You will be able to view basic info of your status.
You will get a code in the mail that you need to confirm your ID before you can access your CRA accoun tfor more details.
My life ambition is ....
[OP]
Jan 24, 2015
321 posts
34 upvotes
Oakville
imoo2u wrote: I dont think there was a confirmation email from CRA as I did not register an online account with CRA.
If I remembered correctly, Tangerine posted an acknowledgement note on the screen after I registered DD.
Honestly, I didnt follow-up further as I was getting cheques from CRA in the past.
If you are concerned, take a screenshot on each step when you register DD with your bank.

BTW, BE CAREFUL not to use your bank ID login as the means to login into your CRA account as I heard stories of CRA accounts being 'hacked'.
Do register separately with CRA ie CRA ID, password etc. You will be able to view basic info of your status.
You will get a code in the mail that you need to confirm your ID before you can access your CRA accoun tfor more details.
My current bank began to charge service fee monthly, so I want to switch to Tangerine. I had an online account with CRA but the "Change DD" function is disabled on their website. I also heard many stories of CRA accounts being "hold" due to changing information and people had to call CRA and wait a long time on the phone. So I want to know if anyone changed it through online banking successfully.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7019 posts
3250 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
ChristineY wrote: My current bank began to charge service fee monthly, so I want to switch to Tangerine. I had an online account with CRA but the "Change DD" function is disabled on their website. I also heard many stories of CRA accounts being "hold" due to changing information and people had to call CRA and wait a long time on the phone. So I want to know if anyone changed it through online banking successfully.
Check on My CRA again as it may be open now to change DD.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1913 posts
1673 upvotes
Link to CRA webpage on DD

Is it up to you to decide either one: personal phone call to CRA or through online bank?

I know ... it is a hassle to phone CRA for an agent to verify and take care of your matter.
CRA had woke up on their security-side as there were lots of $$ went to scammers/fraudsters when JT freely gave out without check and balance in place for CERB, CRB (whatever) etc.
I heard from my neighbour that he checked his CRA account and found a fraudster claiming CERB deposited into a new (different and unknown) bank account that he didn't apply.
He called CRA and they locked his account for good. Then CRA investigated and cleared him of those 'fraudulent' claims after call-in and call-back over a period of 8 mths.
He still wasnt able to access CRA online account. And He got fedup of calling (long wait times) to open that CRA account. So now CRA mail cheques to his home.

Before you call, get your details in order as listed on the mentioned link. Make sure the agent ID his/her self and you may ask for his ID number or a reference number etc.

If you go with change of DD via Tangerine, guess only you know when CRA deposit the next cheque to you OR it may show up on your CRA account if you check your CRA account (frequently) after a few days to take into effect.

BTW, AFAIK, one still require to have a physical bank account linked to the online bank account @ Tangerine. So you still need to maintain a B&M (physical) bank account eventhough you dont use as often.
Perhaps you try to change to a fee per use type instead of mthly fee at the B&M bank. Better still, check out your local credit union for options.

Hope you find what you need.

Sorry that I am unable to help you further.

Wishing you the best.
My life ambition is ....
[OP]
Jan 24, 2015
321 posts
34 upvotes
Oakville
imoo2u wrote: Link to CRA webpage on DD

Is it up to you to decide either one: personal phone call to CRA or through online bank?

I know ... it is a hassle to phone CRA for an agent to verify and take care of your matter.
CRA had woke up on their security-side as there were lots of $$ went to scammers/fraudsters when JT freely gave out without check and balance in place for CERB, CRB (whatever) etc.
I heard from my neighbour that he checked his CRA account and found a fraudster claiming CERB deposited into a new (different and unknown) bank account that he didn't apply.
He called CRA and they locked his account for good. Then CRA investigated and cleared him of those 'fraudulent' claims after call-in and call-back over a period of 8 mths.
He still wasnt able to access CRA online account. And He got fedup of calling (long wait times) to open that CRA account. So now CRA mail cheques to his home.

Before you call, get your details in order as listed on the mentioned link. Make sure the agent ID his/her self and you may ask for his ID number or a reference number etc.

If you go with change of DD via Tangerine, guess only you know when CRA deposit the next cheque to you OR it may show up on your CRA account if you check your CRA account (frequently) after a few days to take into effect.

BTW, AFAIK, one still require to have a physical bank account linked to the online bank account @ Tangerine. So you still need to maintain a B&M (physical) bank account eventhough you dont use as often.
Perhaps you try to change to a fee per use type instead of mthly fee at the B&M bank. Better still, check out your local credit union for options.

Hope you find what you need.

Sorry that I am unable to help you further.

Wishing you the best.
"BTW, AFAIK, one still require to have a physical bank account linked to the online bank account @ Tangerine. " Where do you see this term? I was planning to keep Tangerine account only. Actually I'm asking for my parents. Their scotia bank account was free but now has to maintain a minimum $3,000 to waive the monthly fee even for seniors!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1913 posts
1673 upvotes
ChristineY wrote: "BTW, AFAIK, one still require to have a physical bank account linked to the online bank account @ Tangerine. " Where do you see this term? I was planning to keep Tangerine account only. Actually I'm asking for my parents. Their scotia bank account was free but now has to maintain a minimum $3,000 to waive the monthly fee even for seniors!
I was requested for an existing physical bank account when I first applied in the days of ING Direct.
Likely it was required to verify/confirm my personal details.
I never try to remove all my linked accounts (limited to 3) with Tangerine to see the adverse effect of that requirement.
Perhaps I am wrong about it. You better enquire with Tangerine for full details with a much clearer picture.

I know it is hard to obtain free banking services with physical banks these days.
They all like to make $$ both ways (on deposits and withdrawals) in good times and hard times.
Guess we pay and pay more till the end of time. Poor us!!

Take a look with Meridian Credit Union for seniors LINK or another online banking (motusbank) since you are in Ontario.
My life ambition is ....
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7019 posts
3250 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
ChristineY wrote: "BTW, AFAIK, one still require to have a physical bank account linked to the online bank account @ Tangerine. " Where do you see this term? I was planning to keep Tangerine account only. Actually I'm asking for my parents. Their scotia bank account was free but now has to maintain a minimum $3,000 to waive the monthly fee even for seniors!
No, not required; can have Tangerine as only bank acct.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.