Home & Garden

Locked: Did the electrician try to rip me off? or am I in the wrong??

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2017 1:36 pm
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes

Did the electrician try to rip me off? or am I in the wrong??

I live in an apartment and the wall plug suddenly stopped working, usually when the entire power is out, I know the fuse is busted and I will replace the fuse. But because this wall plug is apparently had its own line of fuse, since no lights went off, I thought the wall plug is busted or maybe the wiring is busted.

If I call the management they will take longer to fix it, 3 weeks. So I thought of hiring a handy man. The handy man agreed to a flat rate of 60 dollars, he asked 120 at first since he said I need to do the wiring and all that. I said thats a lot I can wait for the management to fix it for free, but for 60, I can consider.

So he came in, took one look...and then pulled out a fuse from his pocket, and replaced it, what do you know...it works now. Took him 90 secons in total. Then he offered free advice for another 20 seconds that dont plug too many things into one wall plug...

And then he asked 60 dollars. I was like, that doesnt sound fair, I will pay you 20 as you didnt do anything. He disagreed as 60 is flat rate doesnt matter even if he worked for 2 seconds.

Finally he accepted 30 dollars. Am I in the wrong here or he was trying to rip me off?? what do you think??
Last edited by User042404 on Mar 30th, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
62 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11763 posts
6950 upvotes
Paris
Don't hire a handyman for electrical work. Hire an electrician. That would have cost you $200
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
If he had stayed for 6 hours, would you still have paid $60? Probably.

Cheap people like you just don't and won't get it, so I won't bother typing more except to say you should have tried replacing the fuse first.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2570 posts
870 upvotes
So you guys agreed on 60 dollars and then you broke your agreement? You screwed him in my opinion. Just because you made a service call for an easy fix doesn't change the terms to your agreement.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
23096 posts
4606 upvotes
Niagara Falls
LOL, this has got to be a troll thread right? You got someone to come out for $60 and then you're upset when they want to charge you $60? Not their fault you didn't bother trying to troubleshoot it yourself.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
193 posts
75 upvotes
You're a terrible person.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
14955 posts
11403 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
That's the rate bob. Were you expecting him charging just the fuse and 2mins?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
477 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
How much does it cost you to go out to someones house and back again?
What's your time worth?
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 27, 2007
5101 posts
967 upvotes
Peterborough
Yes. You are in the wrong OP.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11763 posts
6950 upvotes
Paris
BuildingHomes wrote: How much does it cost you to go out to someones house and back again?
What's your time worth?
$27.45 flat rate. Chocolate extra.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote: LOL, this has got to be a troll thread right? You got someone to come out for $60 and then you're upset when they want to charge you $60? Not their fault you didn't bother trying to troubleshoot it yourself.
omg lolol This thread has been bombarded with anger, hate, homophobic, transphobic, mysoginy, white previledge hhaha feminist style...

You are all rude lol i was just asking a question. But in all seriousness, I strangely feel satisfied with the responses as I thought I still got ripped off. Now i dont.
In my defense, if i give more detail maybe you will see my side.

I lied, the management will fix it the next day if i give a work order. I rescued a broken winged pigeon and it is recovering in my apartment. If i let the super inside to fix it, both that injured pigeon and I will be thrown out in a month, eviction. No pets, especially "rat with wings" So I decided to fix it with somoene else.

I surfed Kijiji and found a few, they all asked 120, one guy asked 200. Then I came across this guy, who said the following?

me: hi, I saw your ad on Kijiji, I was wondrering if you know anything about fixing wall plugs socket?

Handy : Sure I can do that, I am downtown if you are far I will charge expenses for travelling.

me : I am downtown too, so it's good.

Handy : Do you see any black patches around the wall plug, did you overload and burn it?

me : I have no idea, I tried to use the microwave suddenly it didn't work, but the microwave works in other plugs?

Handy : Yeah I will have to take a look, hard to say.

Me : Well, I can get the super to fix it but it will take a lot of time (lie due to the pigeon)

Handy : I charge 120 flat rate assuming it will be at least 1 hour of work if the wiring is burned.

Me : That's over my budget like i said its free for me to fix it, can you reconsider?

Handy : Okay what can you pay, give me a number.

Me : I don't wanna guess, but I was thinking about 60 maybe?

Handy : Hmm...i have to see what the problem is, if it is minor and a quick fix I will accept that.

me : Okay fair enough.

Handy : Can you text me your address?

me : Sure, I am free this Saturday until evening, but I will text you the address.

Handy : Okay.

i text him the address and thought he will get back to me.


After 20 mins I received a text.

Handy : hey, I am very close to your place, can I just come take a look and tell you if you like? No charge for the quote

Me : Now?? it's already past 9, I have to leave around 9 30.

handy : Yeah if you want...I'll just come take a look if it is minor I will fix it right away.

me : okay please come asap..

It was already 9 : 10 ish so I have to leave by 9 :30

WIthin 5 mins he showed up, and thats what happened from my original post.

Now I was under the impression that it is something major since he mentioned wiring etc, and he insisted he just want to look.

If it only took him less than a minute, I thought he knew it was the fuse all along and decided to rip me off. Thats why I asked that question,, because I have no idea what an electrician earns or a plumber usually it gets done by the management. I never owned a house.

So how is this my fault?? lol and yes you guys are all super rude, name calling, cheap shaming!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19192 posts
22090 upvotes
GTA
OP, you are scum for breaking your agreement. Here's a story for you.

A giant ship engine failed. The ship’s owners tried one expert after another, but none of them could figure but how to fix the engine.

Then they brought in an old man who had been fixing ships since he was a young. He carried a large bag of tools with him, and when he arrived, he immediately went to work. He inspected the engine very carefully, top to bottom.

Two of the ship’s owners were there, watching this man, hoping he would know what to do. After looking things over, the old man reached into his bag and pulled out a small hammer. He gently tapped something. Instantly, the engine lurched into life. He carefully put his hammer away. The engine was fixed!

A week later, the owners received a bill from the old man for ten thousand dollars.
“What?!” the owners exclaimed. “He hardly did anything!”
So they wrote the old man a note saying, “Please send us an itemized bill.”

The man sent a bill that read:
Tapping with a hammer………………….. $ 2.00
Knowing where to tap…………………….. $ 9,998.00

*Effort is important, but knowing where to make an effort makes all the difference!*
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1136 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto
:facepalm:
Jerico wrote: $27.45 flat rate. Chocolate extra.
Halloween candy from last year count?
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes
engineered wrote: OP, you are scum for breaking your agreement. Here's a story for you.

A giant ship engine failed. The ship’s owners tried one expert after another, but none of them could figure but how to fix the engine.

Then they brought in an old man who had been fixing ships since he was a young. He carried a large bag of tools with him, and when he arrived, he immediately went to work. He inspected the engine very carefully, top to bottom.

Two of the ship’s owners were there, watching this man, hoping he would know what to do. After looking things over, the old man reached into his bag and pulled out a small hammer. He gently tapped something. Instantly, the engine lurched into life. He carefully put his hammer away. The engine was fixed!

A week later, the owners received a bill from the old man for ten thousand dollars.
“What?!” the owners exclaimed. “He hardly did anything!”
So they wrote the old man a note saying, “Please send us an itemized bill.”

The man sent a bill that read:
Tapping with a hammer………………….. $ 2.00
Knowing where to tap…………………….. $ 9,998.00

*Effort is important, but knowing where to make an effort makes all the difference!*
Haha thanks for the story but I AM NOT a scum. He made 30 bucks for 2 mins, isnt that good? He was already in the area, so I dont feel that terrible now. btw, when he was leaving he said if you need anything else to be fixed give me a call. So I think he was cool at the end after all. I will call him again for something else later and make it up to him.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11763 posts
6950 upvotes
Paris
"Handy : Hmm...i have to see what the problem is, if it is minor and a quick fix I will accept that."

You made a deal for 60 bucks for the guy to change your fuse.

Also, honestly do you have ANY idea how much trouble you would be in for hiring a non-licensed electrician to do this work? Eviction would be the least of your issues. Jail time if anyone was hurt would not be out of the question. If someone died, I could see a manslaughter charge. I wouldn't put it past the Electrical Safety Authority to advertise services on Kijiji and "to catch a predator" your butt.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11763 posts
6950 upvotes
Paris
Faemow wrote: :facepalm:



Halloween candy from last year count?
I demand 2015 or newer!
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes
Jerico wrote: "
Jail time if anyone was hurt would not be out of the question. If someone died, I could see a manslaughter charge. I wouldn't put it past the Electrical Safety Authority to advertise services on Kijiji and "to catch a your butt.
huh?? If he drove to my house and died can the car manufacturer be charged with man slaughter too? What about the cell phone provider who made communication possible between him and I? oh oh what about the owner of Kijiji?? Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy

ahhh that's right. You are an electrician and handymen get your customer lolol makes perfect sense
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19192 posts
22090 upvotes
GTA
User042404 wrote: Haha thanks for the story but I AM NOT a scum. He made 30 bucks for 2 mins, isnt that good? He was already in the area, so I dont feel that terrible now. btw, when he was leaving he said if you need anything else to be fixed give me a call. So I think he was cool at the end after all. I will call him again for something else later and make it up to him.
You are. You agreed to have the guy come over for $60. You did not stipulate for how long. He upheld his part of the deal and you refused to pay what you owed him. That's top level douchbaggery.
How long do you think it took him to get there? He probably wasted at least 30 min with you.
Yea, I bet he'll ask for cash up front next time... unless he's some random junky you let in your place.
How could you not figure out how to change a fuse yourself? It's as easy as changing a light bulb.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes
engineered wrote:
How long do you think it took him to get there? He probably wasted at least 30 min with you.
See that right there, I cant take your responses seriously anymore. Shows you didnt read any of the details I posted. Go back and re read. You sound like you are one of those radical triggered cucks. Your input is useless and rejected under the reason code you failed to read the details and quickly jump to conclusion with your useless I know it all mindset with assumptions and speculations. You disgust me Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19192 posts
22090 upvotes
GTA
User042404 wrote: See that right there, I cant take your responses seriously anymore. Shows you didnt read any of the details I posted. Go back and re read. You sound like you are one of those radical triggered cucks. Your input is useless and rejected under the reason code you failed to read the details and quickly jump to conclusion with your useless I know it all mindset with assumptions and speculations. You disgust me Face With Tears Of Joy
Defensive much? I like how you reason that paying for your bills that you agreed to is "radical".
I did read that you said "he was in the area" but that's still a 30 minute detour dealing with your cheap-ass. Do you even have a job? Do you understand the value of time? I also find it funny that that's what you decide to have issue with. Not important facts like how you should have paid your bills. Sounds like you'll go far in life. Good luck chum.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)