Home & Garden

Locked: Did the electrician try to rip me off? or am I in the wrong??

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2017 1:36 pm
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes
engineered wrote: Defensive much? I like how you reason that paying for your bills that you agreed to is "radical".
I did read that you said "he was in the area" but that's still a 30 minute detour dealing with your cheap-ass. Do you even have a job? Do you understand the value of time? I also find it funny that that's what you decide to have issue with. Not important facts like how you should have paid your bills. Sounds like you'll go far in life. Good luck chum.

Are you out of your mind? How is that a detour? He was in the area for a different job and he out of the blue messaged me IF I LIKE, he could drop by. The way I see it is, he was going to go home after whatever he was in the area for, without extra 30 bucks in his pocket. Now because I allowed him, he has 30 bucks more for a 2 mins job. If i didn't let him sure he would have travelled just for me, at which point yes he deserved 60 dollars flat rate for the job he performed, more or less. But since he didnt come out for me, this is more of a bonus.

If he had at least pretended to check something, for 5 minutes, removed the screws of the wall plug what not, I would have paid him.
And thank you, I do very well for myself, I make 40 bucks an hour, 8 hours a day...and I work every minute I dont rip off my boss working 2 minutes and ask him to pay me 40 bucks for that hour.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
37372 posts
5238 upvotes
Winnipeg
Jerico wrote: Don't hire a handyman for electrical work. Hire an electrician. That would have cost you $200
op don't understand what fixed fee means, that's why people who know their stuff don't bother dealing with small residential stuff
WTB amazon gc @90%
Sr. Member
Jan 3, 2013
660 posts
280 upvotes
Winnipeg
My doctor recently did my medical for my drivers license. All he had to do was three no check boxes and fill out my left and right eye. The Manitoba meet and greet tariff paid for the appointment and police test provides the eye measurements. Guess how much I paid for that form? $100.

However it still would have been $100 if that doctor had to do hour of paperwork.

Sometimes you make quick money. Sometimes you work hard for money.

You ripped off the guy.
Member
Jun 10, 2008
499 posts
375 upvotes
Halton Hills
You totally ripped that guy off. You're not paying for what he does; you're paying for what he knows. You agreed on a price then gave him half. Your father never taught you the value of sticking to your word.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes
thisischris wrote: You totally ripped that guy off. You're not paying for what he does; you're paying for what he knows. You agreed on a price then gave him half. Your father never taught you the value of sticking to your word.
I would not have agreed to the price, he made me think it is wiring issue and made it sound like its a pretty big deal that needs a lot of work but still cant be sure unless he takes a look at it. Its the tactic hustlers use or marketers use when they say its gonna cost you 1000 bucks as its HARDWORK, but i can give it to you for half the price. There is a reason certain jobs cost less pay and this is one of those labour charge. There is a reason the cell phone repairing guys charge you 10 bucks only to paste a screen protector sticker on your phone but charge 100 dollars to change a spare part on your phone. There is a reason they only charge 5 dollars to cut your sim card vs the same guy will charge a lot more for changing the batteries or replacing a broken screen. Different levels of labour. This guy didnt even touch the wall plug for which I called him for. He knew all along it was the fuse yet sold me on the wiring issue.

You can rationalize all you want but I think its very fair. He was very vague about it, rushed me into meeting him as he was in the area, for a quick cash grab.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2005
1425 posts
110 upvotes
To be fair, the handyman should gave you a price before doing the fix
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
23256 posts
4691 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Dude, he came to your house and diagnosed an issue that you couldn't. He fixed it. Simple as that.

You agreed to pay $60 for the problem to be fixed. It's not his fault you didn't do any troubleshooting your self in any way shape or form.

Do you think the fuse was free to him?
Do you think the time he spent going to the store to get a fuse for a situation like this was free to him?
Do you think the time spent for him to have the knowledge to fix this issue was free to him?

Just because it was a quick fix means literally nothing. When you have someone come to your house to fix a problem you can't fix (mainly because you didn't even bother trying) you should thank your lucky stars if you can do it for only $60.

Beyond that, considering the time he showed up and the price he charged, he clearly wasn't a licensed electrician, so really you were putting your own life and the life of everyone else in your building at risk.
You should have gone through the proper channels to get it fixed correctly.

If you're concerned about the bird, take it to the humane society, go home and call the landlord to get it fixed.

Also, in case you haven't figured it out yet, yes, you were wrong and no the guy who showed up wasn't trying to rip you off. Personally, if I was him, I wouldn't have left without the $60
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
13096 posts
4705 upvotes
Ontario
As others have said, The fuse cost him money it was not free. So if that fuse cost $10-$20 what did he take home? Maybe $10? How much extra fuel did it cost him to drive to your place? $2 maybe since he was in the area. Then his time to actually go there and do the work. So realistically he probably took home a profit of around $10 give or take.

Your mistake was giving him less money because next time he will probably not deal with you or he will charge you even more because he knows you are cheap. What you should of done is paid him the $60 been nice to him so next time you have an issue he will remember you and come and give you a good deal. Considering you are clearly not handy that would of been in your benefit to have a decent handyman that knows you.

But at the end of the day its up to you, however you were in the wrong but it is what it is.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
7691 posts
5127 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Firstly: you have NO BUSINESS bringing in someone unlicensed to do electrical work in a rental apartment. Give your f'ing head a shake. As it turns out he only had to change a fuse which is fine, but you didn't know that! You were going to let him mess with the wiring. What a fool.

Secondly: I agree with the others. You talked him down to $60 and then didn't even want to pay that. So what if it only took him a couple minutes? You should have been smart enough to try changing the fuse yourself - but you weren't.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
7691 posts
5127 upvotes
Victoria, BC
edvc520 wrote: To be fair, the handyman should gave you a price before doing the fix
Um...he did. Did you even bother to read any of this thread?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
7691 posts
5127 upvotes
Victoria, BC
User042404 wrote: I would not have agreed to the price, he made me think it is wiring issue and made it sound like its a pretty big deal that needs a lot of work but still cant be sure unless he takes a look at it. Its the tactic hustlers use or marketers use when they say its gonna cost you 1000 bucks as its HARDWORK, but i can give it to you for half the price. There is a reason certain jobs cost less pay and this is one of those labour charge. There is a reason the cell phone repairing guys charge you 10 bucks only to paste a screen protector sticker on your phone but charge 100 dollars to change a spare part on your phone. There is a reason they only charge 5 dollars to cut your sim card vs the same guy will charge a lot more for changing the batteries or replacing a broken screen. Different levels of labour. This guy didnt even touch the wall plug for which I called him for. He knew all along it was the fuse yet sold me on the wiring issue.

You can rationalize all you want but I think its very fair. He was very vague about it, rushed me into meeting him as he was in the area, for a quick cash grab.
Maybe he thought it must be wiring because he rightly assumed that anyone who isn't a total moron would have already checked the fuse?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
7691 posts
5127 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I think the handyman deserves some proper credit for not beating the shit out of you and then taking something of yours worth the $60.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1156 posts
436 upvotes
Mississauga
Regardless of what was the electrical problem a licensed electrical contractor would have charged you a minimum of $200.00 even if it took them 60 seconds to correct the problem and that's the correct way to pay someone to perform the work. You decided to hire a handyman which is not the proper way but agreed to the $60.00. You felt that was too much based on the work performed and you wanted to pay $20.00? User042404, you should be happy paying the $60.00 as it saved you $140.00 as you didn't want to wait the 3 weeks, why do you feel you should try to give someone less money than agreed upon regardless of that the problem was.

I don't understand when someone can't diagnose a problem and gets upset when someone that has the skill and knowledge can do and in a little amount of time. Would you have felt better if the handyman pretended to diagnose and waste an hour and then put in the fuse and charged you $60.00.

In a lot of industries there is what is called a flat and minimum rate, regardless of how long it takes, that's the rate and clients should respect that. People get upset when the amount is not disclosed before the work commences and there are those that get upset when the amount is disclosed yet it took much less time, Sometimes you just can't win.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10149 upvotes
Toronto
Now now everyone. Let's do the OP a favour and never help him again. Make up for ripping off the handyman so he has to pay for everything else in life.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1897 upvotes
Ontario
You're lucky you got a pushover. I would have demanded the $60 as we agreed. I'd send it to a collection agency if you refused, lol
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: Maybe he thought it must be wiring because he rightly assumed that anyone who isn't a total moron would have already checked the fuse?
I am not used to Canadian electric stuff. I have 2 boxes of new fuses at home. I do change fuses time to time. My apartment has 4 fuses, usually when a room or multiple power outlets go out I know its fuse. But the fact that they assigned multiple stuff to one fuse, and just one wall plug on its own fuse is news to me and has no logic. One time the bathroom all the lights were off, one time part of the living room and part of the bedroom were off at the same time. But this wall plug was the only one that was out so I thought its not the fuse. Why would they assign one whole fuse for that wall plug out of only 4 fuses. 3 fuses share the rest of the apartment and this wall plug gets its own fuse. That is weird.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 27, 2016
80 posts
41 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: catch a disease from that pigeon.
now that one is the first one that I find it offensive. Don't be stupid, pigeons don't have diseases no more than cats or dogs or any other birds, don't spread misinformation, those birds already suffer too much, no animal care will take pigeons as they are "invasive species" while Trudeau lets Syrian refugees for free, their education, accommodation etc gets paid by your tax dollars.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1156 posts
436 upvotes
Mississauga
User042404

Please don't take what I'm about to say with disrespect but In my opinion I believe that you don't value other peoples time. In the industry, it doesn't really matter how long a repair or diagnostic takes, as the more knowledgeable or experienced you've gained, the quicker you can complete a task. Experience and knowledge comes at a cost and if you want that service you should be willing to pay. The fact that it only took a couple minutes is irrelevant, which what most of us understand, but the fact that you don't, tells us something about how you value other peoples time, experience, knowledge.

Let me put it another way and I'll exaggerate to make my point. if you were to attempt an electrical diagnostic's and spent 10 hours and failed, then had it repaired in 1 minute at a cost of $100.00 don't you feel that it's fair? First off, you couldn't repair it, secondly, it's now repaired at a low cost. Another way to look at it is, what if you tried to repair and got electrocuted and died (extreme exaggeration), what is your life worth?

I see your point of view, do you see ours?
Last edited by MyDream1 on Mar 31st, 2017 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
You asked for opinions, and you got them. You were expecting to have your actions validated, and they weren't. You lashed out, accused other posters of being filled with "with anger, hate, homophobic, transphobic, mysoginy, white previledge hhaha feminist" thoughts, with none of those thoughts in any replies.

And yes, you should have checked the fuses first.

And yes, you shouldn't have brought in a "handyman" for electrical issues. If I was your landlord, between the pigeon (carriers of diseases) and bringing in an unqualified repair person, I'd start you on the process of finding a new residence.

And yes, you should have just paid the $60. He said (and I quote) "i have to see what the problem is, if it is minor and a quick fix I will accept that." in reply to your offer of $60. Guess what? It was minor and a quick fix. So it should have been $60, just like you offered.

C
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
User042404 wrote: now that one is the first one that I find it offensive. Don't be stupid, pigeons don't have diseases no more than cats or dogs or any other birds, don't spread misinformation, those birds already suffer too much, no animal care will take pigeons as they are "invasive species" while Trudeau lets Syrian refugees for free, their education, accommodation etc gets paid by your tax dollars.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/61646.php

C

Top