• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2021 2:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2001
1416 posts
268 upvotes

Did McDonald's change their McNuggets?

I try not to eat out too often but once in a while I get a craving for some nuggets. It's McDonald's, they've always been about consistency, so I know what I'm going to get.

However, the last two times I went in I found that the nuggets were different. Crappier, really. They were thinner and drier. The shapes were still pretty much the same but with less thickness to them. Also, the batter seems to be different. You used to be able to peel it off the nuggets and now it's almost a part of the nugget itself.

The first time I thought maybe they had just been sitting around and dried out, but I got them again when they were fresh from the fryer and they were still the same size and dryness, only hotter.

Really, they reminded me of the BK nuggets. But instead of $2/10, they're still charging McNugget pricing of nearly $1/nugget.

Has anyone else tried nuggets lately and found this to be the case? A google search turned up nothing. I feel a little bit crazy, but I know these nuggets are different. I don't know if Covid claimed yet another victim in my nuggets.
Let them know that it is I, Aziz Hamid!
40 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5351 posts
4408 upvotes
nope from my experience..but i think it depends on how long they've been sitting there. if they're not fresh, they are almost as bad as BK nuggets but when fresh, they are still great.

we buy the 20pk meal and freeze it and reheat in air fryer and it tastes great like fresh and so we always have mcds nuggets in the freezer lol
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29606 posts
15401 upvotes
Toronto
I had some a couple of weeks ago, I do agree with your findings. They were tougher and dry. Not worth the $ anymore.
Sep 8, 2010
235 posts
348 upvotes
Calgary
So true, they taste so good when they're fresh. I like getting them right at 11am when they start lunch
Nov 13, 2014
560 posts
567 upvotes
Westmount, QC
I was asking myself the same question lately. My step daughter always gets McNugget and while she doesn't notice anything different, I feel like something's changed. It reminds me of back when I was in high school, they used to serve chicken nuggets and I swear for the price they were the best. They felt exactly like the McNuggets but for half the price. Same type of batter, you could peel it off like the nugget was wearing a jacket, it was crunchy and juicy. Eventually they changed them to a Flamingo type, and while chicken nuggets are always ''good'', it just wasn't the same anymore.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1748 posts
1183 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I don't eat many Mcnuggets but I've had them before. They are definitely not worth the price they are charging unless you have a Coupon for a meal.

If you knew how these are made and what's in them, you probably wouldn't eat them. Basically, bones, skin, tendons and scrap chicken are ground up into a little ScrapNugget for your enjoyment.

Only thing I liked about the Nuggets were the free addition of the the Sweet and Sour/Hot Mustard sauces... I used to ask for it with other meals and they'd give one out for free but they got wise and started charging for them.

If they changed the nuggets, maybe the tendon/skin/bone percentage went up and they taste like wood now. After all, with many jurisdictions not letting their dining area open, they're missing out on a lot of customers. The place used to be filled with seniors sipping their "almost free" coffee/bagel combo and reading the newspaper, in the morning. Also packed with workers having breakfast.

Gotta save money somehow.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4600 posts
1240 upvotes
Gibsons wrote: If you knew how these are made and what's in them, you probably wouldn't eat them. Basically, bones, skin, tendons and scrap chicken are ground up into a little ScrapNugget for your enjoyment.
A few years ago McDonald's Canada had a Our Food Your Questions campaign which answered questions like this because people were making up BS.

Or remember the "100% beef" BS that people made up? https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mcdonalds-100-beef/
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1748 posts
1183 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Mulder and Scully wrote: A few years ago McDonald's Canada had a Our Food Your Questions campaign which answered questions like this because people were making up BS.

Or remember the "100% beef" BS that people made up? https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mcdonalds-100-beef/
I have some "riverfront property" to sell you if you think a chicken mcnugget is only "real breast meat". If you don't believe me, go buy some and taste, then report back.

Go make some breast meat nuggets in your kitchen then see the difference.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17042 posts
4196 upvotes
Toronto
Gibsons wrote: If you knew how these are made and what's in them, you probably wouldn't eat them. Basically, bones, skin, tendons and scrap chicken are ground up into a little ScrapNugget for your enjoyment.
Does anyone have a 2021 update to this ingredient list from 2017? That might be a clue...

As of August 16, 2017
Chicken McNuggets®: Boneless skinless chicken breast meat, water, vegetable oil (canola, corn, soybean and
hydrogenated soybean oil), wheat flour, yellow corn flour, modified corn starch, rice starch, salt, baking powder,
seasoning [wheat starch, yeast extract, salt, natural flavour (vegetable source)], spices, canola oil, sodium
aluminum phosphate, dextrose, wheat starch, corn starch, A MILK ALLERGEN may have come in contact with the
breading used for the JUNIOR CHICKEN, CRISPY CHICKEN SNACK WRAP®, CRISPY CHICKEN SIGNATURE
McWRAP® and the FILET-O-FISH®, this temporarily impacts all fried chicken products, including the McCHICKEN
patty, CHICKEN McNUGGETS, and the crispy chicken patty used in the CRISPY COUNTRY CHICKEN and the
ENTRÉE SALADS, as they are cooked in the same fryer. CONTAINS: WHEAT.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1748 posts
1183 upvotes
Southern Ontario
If someone wants to pay for it, I'll go be a guinea pig. Otherwise I wouldn't spend my money on nuggets that don't taste very good.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4600 posts
1240 upvotes
Gibsons wrote: I have some "riverfront property" to sell you if you think a chicken mcnugget is only "real breast meat". If you don't believe me, go buy some and taste, then report back.
You're the one making the accusation so prove it.
Nov 3, 2016
239 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote: Does anyone have a 2021 update to this ingredient list from 2017? That might be a clue...

As of August 16, 2017
Chicken McNuggets®: Boneless skinless chicken breast meat, water, vegetable oil (canola, corn, soybean and
hydrogenated soybean oil), wheat flour, yellow corn flour, modified corn starch, rice starch, salt, baking powder,
seasoning [wheat starch, yeast extract, salt, natural flavour (vegetable source)], spices, canola oil, sodium
aluminum phosphate, dextrose, wheat starch, corn starch, A MILK ALLERGEN may have come in contact with the
breading used for the JUNIOR CHICKEN, CRISPY CHICKEN SNACK WRAP®, CRISPY CHICKEN SIGNATURE
McWRAP® and the FILET-O-FISH®, this temporarily impacts all fried chicken products, including the McCHICKEN
patty, CHICKEN McNUGGETS, and the crispy chicken patty used in the CRISPY COUNTRY CHICKEN and the
From McDonald’s Canada Ingredients Listing (which appears to have been updated today)

Chicken McNuggets:Boneless skinless chicken breast meat, water, vegetable oil shortening, wheat flour, yellow corn flour, modified corn starch, rice starch, salt, baking powder,seasoning [wheat starch, yeast extract, salt, natural flavour (vegetable source)], spices, canola oil, sodium aluminum phosphate, dextrose, wheat starch, corn starch.Cooked in vegetable oil (high oleic low linoleic canola oil and/or canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, citric acid, dimethylpolysiloxane)
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1748 posts
1183 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Mulder and Scully wrote: You're the one making the accusation so prove it.
I don't care that much to be honest, you can fill up on Hot Dogs and Nuggets if you like... as they must be quite nutritious.

They taste like shit and have a cardboard like texture, so you make your own choices.

Those chemicals in the posted ingredients, sounds yummy.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
15825 posts
4568 upvotes
Scarberia
i haven't had these in months! used to have those app offers for 10pcs for the price of the 6pck!
or the 20pcs for the 10pcs price!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29606 posts
15401 upvotes
Toronto
haha. maybe the US ones are better ??
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2302 posts
901 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Does anyone have a 2021 update to this ingredient list from 2017? That might be a clue...

As of August 16, 2017
They don't tell you how many percent is chicken meat. Could be 1%. Haven't had their nuggets in a while but i remember they taste good when they are hot. If it's room temp it is shit.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17042 posts
4196 upvotes
Toronto
xpressmerchant wrote: They don't tell you how many percent is chicken meat. Could be 1%.
Nobody ever teach you that ingredients go from greatest to least?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27825 posts
13422 upvotes
There was a significant change years back when they switched from dark meat to white meat.
I was sad because they were pretty good (for fast food nuggets) back then.
Now they're sad thin dry things.
I still kinda like the flavor, but they don't hold a candle to the dark meat ones.