• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2018 9:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
915 posts
293 upvotes

did my subwoofer die??

hey guys, I have a psw111, works great. recently moved. after I reconnected it to the amp, worked well like before. but recently it's been on and off. I unplugged the RCA cable, reconnected it while the music /amp was on (to test out the base level - i didn't know what i was doing). then it just stopped working. I was able to wiggle the cable a bit to get it to work for a while and now it is dead again.

the light turns on but no sound is coming out of the woofer.

what is wrong? is it just the cable is dead or something wrong is w/ the sub woofer?
9 replies
Jan 16, 2009
256 posts
146 upvotes
Lethbridge
If you have another set of RCA cables, give them a try. It's possible that it's dead, but bad cables are just as likely, especially if wiggling the cable would get it working. If you killed the sub, you might smell some burning.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
915 posts
293 upvotes
Maplicito wrote: If you have another set of RCA cables, give them a try. It's possible that it's dead, but bad cables are just as likely, especially if wiggling the cable would get it working. If you killed the sub, you might smell some burning.
Nope. No burning smell. How can someone kill the sub?

Would unplugging the cable while music is playing kill the sub?
Jan 16, 2009
256 posts
146 upvotes
Lethbridge
DPR2017 wrote: Nope. No burning smell. How can someone kill the sub?

Would unplugging the cable while music is playing kill the sub?
It wouldn't be good for it - plugging/unplugging while an amplifier is on introduces a signal to the sub (try doing it with a speaker, while the amp is turned low - you will hear something, whether there is music playing or not) - add a music signal to that, and you are increasing the amplitude of what the subwoofer is suddenly dealing with. BUT, I wouldn't normally expect that to kill a sub. Killing a sub usually means wrecking the voice coil with too much current, or damaging the speaker itself, ie the foam surround.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2774 posts
929 upvotes
Windsor
DPR2017 wrote: hey guys, I have a psw111, works great. recently moved. after I reconnected it to the amp, worked well like before. but recently it's been on and off. I unplugged the RCA cable, reconnected it while the music /amp was on (to test out the base level - i didn't know what i was doing). then it just stopped working. I was able to wiggle the cable a bit to get it to work for a while and now it is dead again.

the light turns on but no sound is coming out of the woofer.

what is wrong? is it just the cable is dead or something wrong is w/ the sub woofer?
change the cable; test. change the audio source; test. if it's neither of those, then you probably broke the rca connector off the pcb. unfortunate, but probably pretty easily fixable if you can solder. you'll probably pay a bit to have it fixed at an electronics store.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1702 posts
417 upvotes
Before throwing it out, I would follow ChubChub's advice. Open it up and see if the RCA connector is still connected. It might be a loose connection on the PCB board. BTW make sure you unplug the Sub before you open it up.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2774 posts
929 upvotes
Windsor
enforcerviper wrote: PSW111 are famous for amp failure. Its probably dead.
Given the potential failure mode that this guy is describing, it might be that the RCA connector is weak, and many of these "amp failues" are just a bad connector.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
915 posts
293 upvotes
hi all, changed RCA cable. all is good now =D
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19598 posts
5677 upvotes
Toronto
You might want to consider buying better quality cables, if that really was the cause. Not $$$$ cables, but decent cables.