Shopping Discussion

Did you know Fido/Rogers automatically record your voice to their voice recognition system

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2021 4:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
10050 posts
69541 upvotes
Ontario

Did you know Fido/Rogers automatically record your voice to their voice recognition system

This is based on my experience

Fido/Rogers have been recording people's voices for their voice recognition system.

Instead of giving your 4 digit pin#, the system will automatically verify you via your voice when you call.
or give your birthday, driver's license number, home address and answer a bunch of other questions before they can verify you.

You need to call them, wait 20-30 mins, and tell them you want to opt out of this service/feature.
Last edited by Thatdealguy on Jun 2nd, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Feb 3, 2019
198 posts
141 upvotes
GTA
I’m sure that soon you won’t be able to opt out and this will become the standard
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
4046 posts
3613 upvotes
The NORTH
Break out them tin foil hats boys.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
4641 posts
4409 upvotes
Toronto
Voice ID | Fido
https://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/vo ... entication

How do I enroll in Voice ID?
Simply contact us and an agent can enroll you while you’re on the phone with them. Enrolment is quick and occurs in the background of your conversation. The agent can usually capture your voice on the first try, but it may take a second call.

Can I get rid of my voiceprint if I don’t like this service?
Absolutely, you can opt-out of having a voiceprint at any time -- just contact us. If you change your mind, ask any agent to re-enroll you.

Rogers Voice ID FAQs
https://www.rogers.com/customer/support ... entication

How do I enroll and how long does it take?
Simply contact us and an agent can enroll you using the voice conversation you’ll have. Enrolment takes no time at all and happens in the background of our conversation with you. The agent can usually enroll you on the first try, but sometimes it may take a second call.

Can I get rid of my voiceprint if I don’t like this service?
Yes, you can opt-out of having a voiceprint at any time -- simply contact us. If you decide to participate again, ask any agent to re-enroll you.
Aug 26, 2007
28 posts
28 upvotes
Peel Region
Thatdealguy wrote: Fido/Rogers have been secretly recording people's voices for their voice recognition system.
The Rogers page for Voice ID FAQs was last updated in 2017, so Voice ID has been around for a while. Also, it appears the agent has to specifically enable a person, as opposed to this being an automatic feature.

So, original poster, how do you know Rogers is secretly recording people's voices? I appreciate any PSA about the shady practice of recording me without consent, but how do you know they are actually doing this?
Apr 8, 2021
48 posts
39 upvotes
Montreal
domvex wrote: The Rogers page for Voice ID FAQs was last updated in 2017, so Voice ID has been around for a while. Also, it appears the agent has to specifically enable a person, as opposed to this being an automatic feature.

So, original poster, how do you know Rogers is secretly recording people's voices? I appreciate any PSA about the shady practice of recording me without consent, but how do you know they are actually doing this?
I’ve been a Fido client for about 3 years.
I’ve never consented to voiceprint.

Yet when I called last, the lady said “oh great your voiceprint works, you’re authentificated, how can I help you?”
Excuse me?!?
Last edited by BeefOreo on Jun 3rd, 2021 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
'2003
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
10050 posts
69541 upvotes
Ontario
domvex wrote: The Rogers page for Voice ID FAQs was last updated in 2017, so Voice ID has been around for a while. Also, it appears the agent has to specifically enable a person, as opposed to this being an automatic feature.

I should be clearer. This is based on my experience and family experiences.

We never requested.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2469 posts
1423 upvotes
SW ON
They record all calls anyway. So...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27543 posts
13171 upvotes
alpovs wrote: They record all calls anyway. So...
That was my first thought. I'd be surprised if more companies weren't already using this for other purposes without disclosure.
It's not like you don't already hear "This call is being recorded".
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22630 posts
17595 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Thatdealguy wrote: This is based on my experience

Fido/Rogers have been recording people's voices for their voice recognition system.

Instead of giving your 4 digit pin#, the system will automatically verify you via your voice when you call.
or give your birthday, driver's license number, home address and answer a bunch of other questions before they can verify you.

You need to call them, wait 20-30 mins, and tell them you want to opt out of this service/feature.
What's your concern?
1. That they record your voice and use it to authenticate you on subsequent calls?
2. That they don't explicitly ask for and get your consent?
3. That if they're hacked someone could steal your voiceprint (and do what with it)?

FWIW TDDI discount broker has been doing this for years. They do ask for consent and they explicitly ask you to repeat a phrase (something like "My voice is my password.") But I'm not sure if you can opt out. And even if you do I imagine they'll ask for all sorts of personal information every time you call in. So I'm not sure why voiceprint is any more vulnerable to abuse. It's certainly more convenient.
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 11, 2011
659 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
A few years ago - can’t remember if it was a call with Rogers or Fido - I remember being asked by an automated message is I wanted this feature enabled. I was also once asked by an agent.

I *think* I said no… lol
Jun 2, 2021
1 posts
Same with TD bank as well. The agent told me that my voice matched even though I didn't select the option to allow identification with voice.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27543 posts
13171 upvotes
Now... if you want a real security concern, I've had banks verify me based on caller ID.
It's not like that's easily spoofed or anything /s
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13578 posts
2374 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Didn't know about this! Thanks for informing me!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1163 posts
810 upvotes
Had to call FIDO today and they told me they verified me this way...i asked about it some more and opted out.

Thanks but no thanks !