Entertainment

Did you see Star Trek 6 The Undiscovered Country in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2020 10:37 am
[OP]
May 6, 2020
1 posts
3 upvotes

Did you see Star Trek 6 The Undiscovered Country in Canada?

Apparently, the version of ST 6 shown in U.S. theatres was not the same as the version shown in at least some Canadian theatres. I saw it in Edmonton. The difference in the versions involves Col West played by Rene Auberjonois from Deep Space Nine. When I saw it, I remember West telling the President how he can rescue Kirk and he had several big sheets of paper with diagrams that he was using to explain his idea. He then said “We can clean their chronometers”. At the end of the movie, a klingon assassin is about to shoot the president when he’s shot by Scotty. His klingon mask is then pulled off, revealing West as the assassin. It seems that in U.S. theatres, the West scenes were not shown. Apparently, the version with the West scenes is called the Director’s Cut. My blu-ray from 2009 does not have the West scenes. How do you remember the movie when you saw it in the theatre and where did you see it?
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9964 posts
1967 upvotes
Victoria
I saw in the theatre, but that was so long ago. I do remember what you're talking about though. Those scenes were on the VHS version I probably watched a zillion times.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12932 posts
2224 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
It's on (one of) the DVD version, too. I had the VHS, but can't remember what version was on there. I don't remember if the VHS I had was letterbox or full frame.

Yeah, I saw it when it came out. Probably at the cinema downtown Victoria, on Blanshard. I vaguely remember seeing people dressed in Starfleet uniforms, but that may have been for First Contact (which I would have watched in Vancouver). I don't remember which version it was. I bought the VHS a couple of years later.

The way they did the mind-meld with Valeris differs, too. In one of the versions (I think the 2DVD, re-release), it shows vignettes of the culprits as they are being named, which I thought was cheesy.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2466

BTW, my pick for the best Trek movie, over the popular The Wrath of Khan. I also prefer DS9 over TNG. I wonder if there's any correlation :) .
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3070 posts
3157 upvotes
GTA
rabbit wrote: It's on (one of) the DVD version, too. I had the VHS, but can't remember what version was on there. I don't remember if the VHS I had was letterbox or full frame.

Yeah, I saw it when it came out. Probably at the cinema downtown Victoria, on Blanshard. I vaguely remember seeing people dressed in Starfleet uniforms, but that may have been for First Contact (which I would have watched in Vancouver). I don't remember which version it was. I bought the VHS a couple of years later.

The way they did the mind-meld with Valeris differs, too. In one of the versions (I think the 2DVD, re-release), it shows vignettes of the culprits as they are being named, which I thought was cheesy.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2466

BTW, my pick for the best Trek movie, over the popular The Wrath of Khan. I also prefer DS9 over TNG. I wonder if there's any correlation :) .
I never saw this in theatre, but I do remember the assassins being revealed in whichever version I saw at home. Can't remember either way if they revealed the disguised Klingon though.
This is my favorite Star Trek movie after Khan. It had a lot of action and an interesting story. Quite a few Canadians in it also. Some Trek movies had action but the story sucked, and some were just slow.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11683 posts
8147 upvotes
GTA, ON
I didn't realize there were two versions. I've always known this movie to have the Col. and him being revealed as an assassin disguised as a Klingon.

It's funny how things get censored internationally, especially on American network television.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12074 posts
2220 upvotes
Mississauga
The Klingons' pink blood as shown in this movie was to ensure that the movie would maintain a PG rating.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9964 posts
1967 upvotes
Victoria
Maybe when they do the inevitable 4k boxset, they can put out the extended cut :)
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2388 posts
602 upvotes
Ontario
Wasn't Kirk going to die during the assassination but they changed it?
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
13016 posts
4777 upvotes
Toronto
I saw TUC in a Toronto theatre when it was first released and the "Operation Retrieve" scene(s) wasn't there
Nor was the "reveal" of the assassin
I know because when I finally saw those bits on TV I knew hadn't seen them before

Some people used to swear they saw Star Wars subtitled Episode IV: A New Hope back in 1977 when first released ... that didn't happen until a subsequent re-release post Empire
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3070 posts
3157 upvotes
GTA
jenviea wrote: I saw TUC in a Toronto theatre when it was first released and the "Operation Retrieve" scene(s) wasn't there
Nor was the "reveal" of the assassin
I know because when I finally saw those bits on TV I knew hadn't seen them before

Some people used to swear they saw Star Wars subtitled Episode IV: A New Hope back in 1977 when first released ... that didn't happen until a subsequent re-release post Empire
From what I read Star Wars had like 3-4 versions when it came out theatrically, small scenes changed here and there from my understanding. But it was definitely called Star Wars not Ep. IV.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12932 posts
2224 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I saw Star Wars in the cinema in the summer of 1977, and while it was titled "Star Wars", the opening crawl did say "Episode IV". I still hate referring to it as "A New Hope" :) .

chimaican wrote: It's funny how things get censored internationally, especially on American network television.
It's not necessarily censoring. In this case, it may be the pacing of the movie, so the editors cut it out. Don't forget that in "The Wrath of Khan", the TV version actually added scenes back in, such as a longer scene when Kirk met Peter Preston. Back then, they would make movies a two-parters, so maybe they needed extra footage to help stretch it out :) .

BTW, on the topic of TV-censoring, I loved how they used to dub swear words with alternate words, and often not using the original actor. "Eat my shorts" becomes "Eat my socks" :D . "It's bitchin'!" to "It's witchin'!"
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
13016 posts
4777 upvotes
Toronto
rabbit wrote: I saw Star Wars in the cinema in the summer of 1977, and while it was titled "Star Wars", the opening crawl did say "Episode IV"....
Doubtful but I can't prove you didn't, but neither can you prove you did (most references don't support your recollection)

Tireless revisionist Lucas really could've buried the original crawl but surprisingly the 2004 documentary Empire of Dreams includes it (and bits of other unmolested scenes pre Special Editions)

The entire doc is worth watching (but most fans have probably already seen it)
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2017
1151 posts
166 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
I have all 6 original series movies on bluray. I wasn't aware there were multiple versions of the undiscovered country
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4781 posts
2699 upvotes
Toronto
Well - I saw this in theatres in Canada, and (gasp) I don't think I've watched it since (I liked it).
I too was not aware that there were different versions.

If I'm being honest, it was STNG (and not TOS) that really got me hooked.
This movie hit the screens while STNG was on air (3rd or 4th seasons?), and I certainly recall my inner geek hyped with Dorn playing a relative from his family. Did not know Rene was in it, which makes sense in that I was not familiar with the actor until DS9 (which went on air two years later).

I don't recall many specifics of the movie. I recall Plummer was awesome (no surprise), and being impressed by the blood/gravity scene. Will watch tonight.

And yeah - I'm totally downloading an HD torrent of the directors cut, which appears to be a web-dl sourced from Amazon Prime (uploaded 1 year ago). No idea if it still available on Prime, or Canadian Prime (which I have, but refuse to use).
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4781 posts
2699 upvotes
Toronto
Watching this was like a nostalgic trip down memory lane.

I believe I was in grade 10 or 11 when this hit the theatres (1991)
In a pre Internet world, it was Tribute magazine that offered behind the scenes info.
Windows 3.0 came out in 1990, replaced by 3.1 in 1992.
I got my first desktop computer just before my first year of university (which was whem I first went "online", and when I first obtained a York University email address.)

Basically, this movie marks the end of the analog era (for me). You can tell by the way tech is incorporated into the plot that it was conceived by people who did not use computers much, as was the case for the majority of the world's population at the time.

The hype with this movie at the time it was released (and experiencing the previous movies as a kid) was how radical the notion of there ever being peace between humans and Klingons. I had completely forgotten how STNG had the massive twist of having a Klingon serving on the Enterprise with Picard. This movie served as the explanation.

At the time, I knew little about Christopher Plummer beyond Sound of Music, which was a favourite of my moms (resulting in our watching it every time it was played on TV, around Christmas I think). Years later, was fortunate to see his King Lear at Stratford. I'm not sure I previously noticed the gravitas of Chang's perpetual Shakespeare quoting.

Totally forgot about Mrs. David Bowie being a shape shifter.
Clearly not a founder, right?

Lol at the small role for Christian Slater.

The overall theme of the movie (reluctance to embrace change, and the power fear has over those who resist it) seems tremendously poignant in the modern age (laments against feminism, and constant complaints about everything being PC).

I also recall how spooky it was to have cloaked ships that could fire weapons.

Anyways - very much enjoyed rewatching!
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12932 posts
2224 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
jenviea wrote: Doubtful but I can't prove you didn't, but neither can you prove you did (most references don't support your recollection)
I'll defer to the rabid fans. 1977 was a long time ago :) . And I saw the original release less times than the re-release (and original VHS, which I dubbed).

shikotee wrote: Did not know Rene was in it, which makes sense in that I was not familiar with the actor until DS9 (which went on air two years later).
The other Starfleet bad guy ("Arrest those men!") later played Sisko's father.
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
753 upvotes
shikotee wrote: Did not know Rene was in it, which makes sense in that I was not familiar with the actor until DS9 (which went on air two years later).
Perhaps you had seen him on Benson...

...or as Father Mulcahy in M*A*S*H* (original movie)?

Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4781 posts
2699 upvotes
Toronto
goodking wrote: Perhaps you had seen him on Benson...

...or as Father Mulcahy in M*A*S*H* (original movie)?

I'm born 75, so both Benson and MASH (movie + TV) were just before my time.
Having not watched the show, I was not aware there was a MASH movie (from 1970 - 5 years before I was born).
Rene was one of the reasons I checked out the movie (during or shortly after DS9).
Dukes of Hazard, Knight Rider, and all that other 80's crap was what I grew up on.
Dec 7, 2003
863 posts
102 upvotes
This movie was shown on Hollywood Suite tonight. They did not show the bit near the end where the assassin was a human in disguise. I remember seeing that originally many moons ago.
PeterF19272 wrote: Apparently, the version of ST 6 shown in U.S. theatres was not the same as the version shown in at least some Canadian theatres. I saw it in Edmonton. The difference in the versions involves Col West played by Rene Auberjonois from Deep Space Nine. When I saw it, I remember West telling the President how he can rescue Kirk and he had several big sheets of paper with diagrams that he was using to explain his idea. He then said “We can clean their chronometers”. At the end of the movie, a klingon assassin is about to shoot the president when he’s shot by Scotty. His klingon mask is then pulled off, revealing West as the assassin. It seems that in U.S. theatres, the West scenes were not shown. Apparently, the version with the West scenes is called the Director’s Cut. My blu-ray from 2009 does not have the West scenes. How do you remember the movie when you saw it in the theatre and where did you see it?