Shopping Discussion

Did you take advantage of the FujiFilm 50pk deals at bestbuy.ca?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2004 5:13 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
Just received my two spindles from the Purolator guy. The DVD+R 50-pk spindle is actually two 25-pk packaged together, did everyone else get the same?
Nov 13, 2003
765 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
spike-spiegel wrote:Just received my two spindles from the Purolator guy. The DVD+R 50-pk spindle is actually two 25-pk packaged together, did everyone else get the same?
Are ones that you received made in Japan or Taiwan?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
bodobodo wrote:Are ones that you received made in Japan or Taiwan?
Oops, forgot to mentioned why I asked that. The 50-pk of DVD-R are made in Japan but the two 25-pk of DVD+R are Made in Taiwan. I am guessing this is a bad thing...
Nov 13, 2003
765 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
spike-spiegel wrote:Oops, forgot to mentioned why I asked that. The 50-pk of DVD-R are made in Japan but the two 25-pk of DVD+R are Made in Taiwan. I am guessing this is a bad thing...
Yep. Hopefully my 50 packs of + will still be Made in Japan but this has made me less excited about getting my shipments. The made in Taiwan + media is quite good but it's not TY.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
bodobodo wrote:Yep. Hopefully my 50 packs of + will still be Made in Japan but this has made me less excited about getting my shipments. The made in Taiwan + media is quite good but it's not TY.
Upon further inspection and more time awake, these two 25-pk spindles of DVD+R are 4X, so looks I'll have to go and exchange (especially if they are made in Taiwan).

On another note, why do the DVD+R have the little "RW" logo while the DVD-R doesnt?
Nov 13, 2003
765 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
spike-spiegel wrote:On another note, why do the DVD+R have the little "RW" logo while the DVD-R doesnt?
DVD-R discs are officially sanctioned by the DVD alliance so they are allowed to carry the standard DVD logo. DVD+R was invented by Philips and isn't recognized by the DVD alliance so they came up with their own symbol which is only found on DVD+R or DVD+RW discs. I don't know why they chose RW since it is a bit misleading to find it on write only discs but nonetheless it is found on both types of + discs.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1262 upvotes
Sauga
spike-spiegel wrote:Upon further inspection and more time awake, these two 25-pk spindles of DVD+R are 4X, so looks I'll have to go and exchange (especially if they are made in Taiwan).
I got the same thing. :( And yes, they're Made in Taiwan (take a peek under the UPC sticker).
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14589 posts
5816 upvotes
Ottawa
Damn, that sucks, did they really think that people wouldn't notice that the 25 packs are 4X?
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Nov 13, 2003
765 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
Rehan wrote:I got the same thing. :( And yes, they're Made in Taiwan.
Damn. I can't wait until BB comes to Quebec so I don't have to take chances on what they will decide to ship. They can be forgiven for shipping MIT discs since it's not in the product listing but there's no excuse for substituting 4x discs when you advertise 8X ones.
May 22, 2003
405 posts
9 upvotes
Milton
spike-spiegel wrote:Upon further inspection and more time awake, these two 25-pk spindles of DVD+R are 4X, so looks I'll have to go and exchange (especially if they are made in Taiwan).
Same here, gotta love BB bait and switch. I tried phoning them but after 10 minutes on hold I gave up.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1262 upvotes
Sauga
My packing slip says "FUJIFILM 50PK 4x - 8x DVD+R". Notice how they slipped the "4X" in there? Make sure you have a copy of the online product info (where it says 8x only) when you demand the correction.
Oct 19, 2004
198 posts
2 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:Damn, that sucks, did they really think that people wouldn't notice that the 25 packs are 4X?
same boat here...

I am not surprised... consider last time when I ordered a lens disc cleaner from BB and when I received it I found it has already been opened before... Now this company totally lost my trust ... I will avoid to order from them in the future...

Even exchange/return is a pain for me 'coz there is no BB nearby...
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14589 posts
5816 upvotes
Ottawa
Rehan wrote:My packing slip says "FUJIFILM 50PK 4x - 8x DVD+R". Notice how they slipped the "4X" in there? Make sure you have a copy of the online product info (where it says 8x only) when you demand the correction.
Yah, I just received the 2X25 4X.

I don't even mind the fact that they aren't TY, but substituting 4X for 8X is just wrong. I will probably wait until the website shows stock again, and then go demand an exchange.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
May 22, 2003
405 posts
9 upvotes
Milton
Has anyone talked to a rep yet? I emailed them, no response. I even went to the whitby store and they didn't have any...this blows!!
Nov 13, 2003
765 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
I ordered 3 packs and received one TY 50 pack and 2 sets of the 2x25 packs. I'm going to bug BestBuy ruthlessly to exchange them because this is inexcusable. Firstly they barely made any spindles available to online consumers and then substituted 4X media for what was advertised as 8X. They have been ruthless at cancelling orders that resulted from their own inept pricing errors as well as the whole newsletter coupon fiasco and I'll be damned if I'll just let them off the hook this easily when I have a genuine reason for complaint.

At least FS had the decency to substitute 8x media in place of 4x.
May 22, 2003
405 posts
9 upvotes
Milton
bodobodo wrote:I ordered 3 packs and received one TY 50 pack and 2 sets of the 2x25 packs. I'm going to bug BestBuy ruthlessly to exchange them because this is inexcusable. Firstly they barely made any spindles available to online consumers and then substituted 4X media for what was advertised as 8X. They have been ruthless at cancelling orders that resulted from their own inept pricing errors as well as the whole newsletter coupon fiasco and I'll be damned if I'll just let them off the hook this easily when I have a genuine reason for complaint.

At least FS had the decency to substitute 8x media in place of 4x.

What will you do if they don't have any in stock??
Nov 13, 2003
765 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
Gold Monkey wrote:What will you do if they don't have any in stock??
I don't have the option of exchanging it in store since they aren't in Quebec so if they don't restock I will insist on a refund. I'm not desperate for 4X RICOHJPNR01 media since I already stocked up on the Maxell DVD+R discs earlier. I just want to show BB that I won't let them off the hook that easily for substituting slower media.
May 22, 2003
405 posts
9 upvotes
Milton
bodobodo wrote:I don't have the option of exchanging it in store since they aren't in Quebec so if they don't restock I will insist on a refund. I'm not desperate for 4X RICOHJPNR01 media since I already stocked up on the Maxell DVD+R discs earlier. I just want to show BB that I won't let them off the hook that easily for substituting slower media.
File a report with the BBB, I am. Their bait & switch is unacceptable.