Didn't drain inground sprinkler system

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 2:55 pm
[OP]
Oct 23, 2010
46 posts
Toronto

Didn't drain inground sprinkler system

I just realized I only drained the main line from my basement for in ground sprinkler system, and didn't manually drain the values I have outside on the side of the house.

Would there be any impact if I did this now? How will I know in the spring if a sprinkler pipe had burst? What is the cost of fixing such a pipe?
4 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11431 posts
10872 upvotes
Oakville
You might be lucky and they haven't cracked yet. Better do it before this weekend as it's getting super cold.

If they've cracked, you'll know when the sprinklers don't work or you get random puddles in your lawn.
[OP]
Oct 23, 2010
46 posts
Toronto
Thanks @engineered; incredibly stupid of me. i have a feeling the pipes are most likely frozen at this point though; even if not cracked, will releasing the values do anything at this point?
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11431 posts
10872 upvotes
Oakville
sen6es wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 2:14 pm
Thanks @engineered; incredibly stupid of me. i have a feeling the pipes are most likely frozen at this point though; even if not cracked, will releasing the values do anything at this point?
The ground usually stays warmer, and it hasn't been much under zero yet in the GTA, so you may be lucky. If the water is frozen then you may be screwed, unless you can somehow thaw it out.
Maybe you can get some antifreeze (ethanol/methanol alcohol) in there to loosen it up?
Maybe pour a ton of warm water over the pipes? Not sure if that would work or is feasible though.
[OP]
Oct 23, 2010
46 posts
Toronto
Thanks. I'll try that when I go home today.

In case I do manage to drain the system, do I need to turn on my sprinkler system to release the water?