Computers & Electronics

Differences between Lenovo Laptop models

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2016 2:23 am
Jul 12, 2006
438 posts
35 upvotes

Differences between Lenovo Laptop models

I would like a user replaceable battery and upgradable memory, and I would like to eventually swap out the HDD for a SSD (and put the extracted HDD into a caddy and use it for data storage).

Which models would work for me?

I find the T series confusing; what are the differences between say T20/T10/T30 because the processors are similar for the most part.

Are there models with better displays than the standard T-series screens. I like the matte but the resolution is prehistoric.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
The Lenovo Thinkpad Line Goes SOMETHING like this.

E (like the R series)
-- Budget end for walk-ins, regular people & small business owners
-- Focused on giving better build quality and better support than consumer models
-- Design is way different than their top earners...
-- Reminds me a lot of the traditional Thinkpad T & R series
-- Some models still have a optical drive and legacy ports

T (the original no predecessor)
-- The "classic" build quality you would expect from the a Thinkpad
-- No corners cut
-- What the enterprise people buy in bulk
-- Excellent docking bay solution
-- Not too bad to service but taking the bottom cover off is a pain

P (W series but before that it was TxxP so T43p T61p etc)

-- For those who want a mobile workstation... Think performance oriented T series
-- Lenovo introduced a 17" model again this year the P70
-- Can get crazy expensive (ECC memory, Xeon CPU, 4K screen, 64GB DDR4 ram, NVMe)...
-- Only the 17" has a optical drive
-- Slimmed these down a lot
-- Battery life is impressive ... My P50 with 4k, 2x hdd etc etc can last me ~5-7 hours!
-- P50s =/ P series because it's based off the T560 chassis (Lenovo likes to offer so many choices it confuses people)

L
-- Lenovo markets it as a "greener" notebook but imo it's basically a budget line for the enterprise market.
-- This is the only notebook now in the Thinkpad lineup with a VGA port (hint hint)
-- I could see this for a consumer who finds the E series too bulky

X (original)
-- They are squished down T series.
-- Very durable
-- They had tablet models too with pens, could flip etc

X1 Carbon Family (Lenovo made)
-- They thinned down the X series even more into ultra book territory.
-- This is now a entire lineup with ultrabooks, 2 in 1 devices, projector add-ons etc
-- Still modular with major components like the SSD and ram being replaceable not soldered
-- Strong design even though it's not unibody

My opinion

All these units have very good keyboards even against Macbooks.

Lenovo still has average - good screens ... I personally want a brighter screen on the P50 4K, at least like my MBP. They use IPS screen at least for their high end models (although reviews are mixed)

Lenovo is shedding legacy ports (optical drives, vga port, network port etc)

I hope they don't go any thinner.. I actually prefer the P50 over my MBP for carying around work and it's possible due to the massive R&D that went into improving the battery life.

What they did with the X1 carbon is impressive and all their 2-in-1 are impressive
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Ferris Bueller wrote: I find the T series confusing; what are the differences between say T20/T10/T30 because the processors are similar for the most part.
For most ThinkPad models with a letter and three numbers (eg. T410):
- letter = series
- first digit = screen size (eg. 3 ~ 13", 4 ~ 14", 7 ~17")
- last two digits = generation, usually in increments of ten (eg. T400 -> T410 -> T420 -> T430 ...)

T400 = core 2, T410 = first gen i5, T420 = second gen i5, etc.

BTW, don't call them "Lenovo"; call them "ThinkPads". There's a big difference between Lenovo's regular notebooks and ThinkPads.
Jul 12, 2006
438 posts
35 upvotes
I guess it comes down to the T420 and T430. Which refurbished model should I buy?
Should I be looking at other manufacturers as well (e.g. Dell) for a refurb. Lenovo seems the solid choice?
I mean literally the lack of body flex inspires confidence. ;)

There doesn't appear to be a great difference between the 2nd and third gen i5 mobile processor.

I have 16GB RAM sitting around. Hopefully I can use it.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2001
2039 posts
1455 upvotes
Toronto
Go with T430, has a msata connector , so you can have up to 3 hard drive. msata, regular hard drive and another drive in tray caddy. :cheesygri

Ferris Bueller wrote: I guess it comes down to the T420 and T430. Which refurbished model should I buy?
Should I be looking at other manufacturers as well (e.g. Dell) for a refurb. Lenovo seems the solid choice?
I mean literally the lack of body flex inspires confidence. ;)

There doesn't appear to be a great difference between the 2nd and third gen i5 mobile processor.

I have 16GB RAM sitting around. Hopefully I can use it.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
T430 has the chiclet keyboard, and changed the top row of keys.
T420 has the good old ThinkPad type keyboard, although they made a slight modification by making the ESC and DEL key bigger.

Since this sounds like your first Thinkpad, T430's keyboard probably won't drive you nuts, like it does many long-term TP users.

One benefit of the chiclet keyboard is that some models have a backlight. Otherwise, there should still be a ThinkLight to illuminate the keyboard (the light is above the screen, shining down on the keyboard).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)