• Jul 8th, 2020 2:03 pm
[OP]
Jan 20, 2004
450 posts
174 upvotes
Quebec

Differences between two wifi cards

Hi,
I'm looking to replace the wifi card that looks defective in my Gigabyte Brix mini pc.
It's an Intel 3160, I've tried an Intel 7260 but it doesn't accept it.
So I'll probably replace it with same 3160 from Aliexpress.
Are those cards the same and will work fine? because one has a Lenovo FRU and the other not ?
My current one looks like the first one. The cheapest is the one with Lenovo FRU.
Thanks.

Image Image
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7938 posts
4336 upvotes
Alberta
Same card, the FRU is just a Lenovo field replacement part number. You can’t use the Intel 7260 because Lenovo probably has a whitelist in the bios like HP where you have to use the exact part that was in there.
[OP]
Jan 20, 2004
450 posts
174 upvotes
Quebec
cool, thanks, I'll just buy the cheaper one.
Sep 13, 2011
815 posts
487 upvotes
Québec
jackrabbit000 wrote: Same card, the FRU is just a Lenovo field replacement part number. You can’t use the Intel 7260 because Lenovo probably has a whitelist in the bios like HP where you have to use the exact part that was in there.
No they are not exactly the same, the upper one is legit, the one on the bottom is from China, probably a counterfeit.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2164 posts
810 upvotes
Toronto
elgros4 wrote: No they are not exactly the same, the upper one is legit, the one on the bottom is from China, probably a counterfeit.
They're all made in China. What do you mean that the bottom one is from China? I don't get it.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Sep 13, 2011
815 posts
487 upvotes
Québec
ds2chan wrote: They're all made in China. What do you mean that the bottom one is from China? I don't get it.
Look at the FCC number is not the same, i'ts a fake one and there no ISED number.
Jun 9, 2012
424 posts
271 upvotes
Vancouver
Honestly wifi just sucks. Doesn't matter who you use, you'll always have wifi interference from neighbors broadcasting their signal on the same channel. It's the equivalent of having static enter into your phone call anytime someone is downloading or uploading a ton of data over wifi.

Anyways, Intel makes good hardware. Either version is fine, I believe Aliexpress is okay for stuff like that since most of the intel stuff sold on Aliexpress like Intel LAN cards, and wifi cards are genuine. The only problem is that they are old and were probably used in corporate laptops or servers or workstations that were stripped of their parts.