Computers & Electronics

Different networks / same HSDPA usb modem?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2009 7:11 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2004
2032 posts
178 upvotes
Live AT, Work FL, Ho…

Different networks / same HSDPA usb modem?

Thanks to those that helped me with the ad-hoc connection last time. Another question this time that mighty google cannot find.

For the past few months in Germany, I've been connecting to the internet via a HSDPA usb modem (brand: Huawei) with O2.

Next week, I'm being sent on assignment to Switzerland (not as fun as it sounds...) and I need internet. Unfortunately, O2 does not operate in Switzerland. The cheapest network I can find with unlimited mobile internet is Orange and they use a different brand HSDPA modem (brand is: Option).

The question is: Can I use my O2 branded (sim-unlocked) Huawei usb modem with the Orange network, eventhough they sell/use the Option brand?

Thanks in advance!
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
7147 posts
1744 upvotes
BC
Aristophanes wrote: The question is: Can I use my O2 branded (sim-unlocked) Huawei usb modem with the Orange network, eventhough they sell/use the Option brand?
Yes, provided you are able to setup the USB modem's software with the settings needed to connect to the Orange data network (e.g. username, password, APN, etc.)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2004
2032 posts
178 upvotes
Live AT, Work FL, Ho…
Thanks Kwirky for the quick response!

Do you know if the existing proprietary software is sufficient or do I need to flash the USB modem with generic software? I've been getting mixed responses with my search.