• Dec 17th, 2019 5:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1373 posts
445 upvotes
Oakville

Differing Class of Service Benefits on Codeshare Flights

Flying to/connecting through Munich. Premium Economy benefits are different on codeshare flights between Air Canada (AC) and Lufthansa (LH)

Flight is operated by LH.
Air Canada PE benefits include seat selection and priority boarding.

If booking on AC website it says seat selection not available and to contact LH.
If booking via LH website, PE seat selection costs $62 and no mention of priority boarding (probably not included). Traveling with wife and want seats together.

Wondering if one could book on AC and get seat selection for free.

I'll call AC but has anybody had any experience with similar situations where one codeshare partner offers benefits that another does not, for the same class of service?

TBH LH's PE product is disappointing but the flight of interest best fits our schedule and in the end, if we have to, we'll just fork over the extra $$ to book on LH website.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8596 posts
1503 upvotes
Vancouver
Premium economy on LH does not include priority boarding. I flew premium economy on the 747 and was satisfied
Autocorrect sucks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1373 posts
445 upvotes
Oakville
Answering my own question (I called LH):

If you book on AC website where PE includes seat selection and priority boarding I think this only applies to AC-operated flights. On codeshare partner-operated flights you get whatever the partner offers for the same class. You have to call LH to pre-select AND PAY for your seats under "separate contract" - this is on the LH website if you dig deep enough (but still not crystal clear)

I booked our flight and seats directly on LH website - easier and less hassle.

PE on LH pretty much only gives you a PE seat - no priority boarding, no included seat selection, no better meal, etc. - and was only about $75 more than LH economy (LH economy is expensive vs other carriers) on our particular flight.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1806 posts
1330 upvotes
GTA West
RETD wrote:
PE on LH pretty much only gives you a PE seat - no priority boarding, no included seat selection, no better meal, etc. - and was only about $75 more than LH economy (LH economy is expensive vs other carriers) on our particular flight.
$75 to upgrade to PE is an amazing deal, even without seat selection. But what I am seeing YYZ-Munich is as much as $1k more for PE. How did you score $75?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1373 posts
445 upvotes
Oakville
Dealmaker1945 wrote: $75 to upgrade to PE is an amazing deal, even without seat selection. But what I am seeing YYZ-Munich is as much as $1k more for PE. How did you score $75?
Munich is not my final destination, I'm connecting thru to another city. Depending on date and time, econ prices are all over the place for LH. For our specific flight (one way) PE was about $1210 and economy was about $1140 but with no seat selection offered/available. If I flew about 2 weeks later the cheapest econ fare is currently $500 for the same flight but PE pricing stays pretty consistent.

To me it's a further sign that airlines, like many other businesses, are using advanced analytics to dynamically set their prices.