PC & Video Games

Digital distribution prepares PC for an epic comeback (Article)

• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2014 9:32 pm
[OP]
Dec 8, 2007
181 posts
53 upvotes

Digital distribution prepares PC for an epic comeback (Article)

Hello! I just posted an article regarding the future of gaming and why the PC shouldn't be counted as dead in the next-gen war. Feel free to check it out here :

http://www.canadiangamer.net/2014/05/04 ... come-back/

Hope you like it! Cheers!
45 replies
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
258 upvotes
leave pc alone

pc is fine as is, Microsoft tried charging to play online, gold for games for windows, glad it failed and flopped
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16026 posts
2639 upvotes
You really need an editor; there are multiple spelling and grammatical errors.

Also...

[QUOTE]You can now get an high end PC for as low as 600$[/QUOTE]
You can barely get a high-end graphic card for less than $600, let alone a high-end PC.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3371 posts
1110 upvotes
BC
[QUOTE]You can now get an high end PC for as low as 600$[/QUOTE]

Lol!
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2094 posts
742 upvotes
Toronto
PC gaming is not dead.
Console gaming is not dead.
Smartphone/tablet gaming is not dead.
Dedicated handheld gaming is not dead.

Physical media is not dying at the expense of digital medium either.

I feel all four platform types has their place in gaming. They will co-exist. Physical and digital media will co-exist for a long time too.

Personally, I feel that console gaming is still more attractive than PC gaming. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have a wealth of console exclusive titles that currently cannot be matched by anything exclusive for the PC. The biggest game GTA 5 has yet to release on PC, it sold 30+ million copies on consoles. This itself shows the strength of the console market, even aging console.

The console offers simplicity which users enjoy. A device that sits in your living room and you can enjoy couch multi-player. Sure one can do that by connecting a PC to the TV and adding a couple of controllers, but that itself is reduces the simplicity of gaming itself.

I don't know any high end $600 PCs. Most people today would prefer the portability of a laptop or tablet. A $500 laptop and a $400 console would serve better than a more expensive desktop machine.
Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes
JAC wrote: You really need an editor; there are multiple spelling and grammatical errors.

Also...

You can barely get a high-end graphic card for less than $600, let alone a high-end PC.
+1, PC gaming is horrendously expensive.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19864 posts
3842 upvotes
Toronto
TheBatManRising wrote: +1, PC gaming is horrendously expensive.
How do you figure? The system I built in 2010 for less than $1000 is still going strong 4 years later, and can still max out any game I throw at it. Multiplayer is free, console games would cost me anywhere from 300%-1200% what a PC game does, everything is backwards compatible back to the 80s, I can use my keyboard/mouse, a joystick, or a gamepad whenever I feel like, and I get the benefit of a powerful PC for all sorts of non-gaming things. Consoles are crippled and expensive in comparison.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6662 posts
2795 upvotes
Canada
I'd argue the the definitive version of Need for Speed was on the 3DO as it came out 2 years earlier than the PC port ...

Also, parents don't know how to use Steam.

Kids don't know how to use Steam.

Parents can't teach kids how to use Steam because they don't know how to use it themselves.

Parent's aren't going to give their kids credit cards to buy games off Steam.

The PC come-back is a long way off. You need to look at the entire demographics first, and consoles will always have an advantage when it comes to younger gamers.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6662 posts
2795 upvotes
Canada
Piro21 wrote: Consoles are crippled and expensive in comparison.
Consoles level the playing field in competitive multiplayer. For me personally, that trumps everything. Too many variables in PC gaming to give the other player an advantage.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8825 posts
5864 upvotes
Toronto
One of the big things people forget or just don't know about right now is how much cheaper PC games are compared to consoles games. I've bought about ~220 games for PC for under $500 and my library is filled with AAA games. You'd be lucky to get 10 AAA games for $500 on a console.

The startup on PC can be a little more depending what you want out of you games, but the savings on content in the long run will more than make up for it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6662 posts
2795 upvotes
Canada
ReeGee wrote: One of the big things people forget or just don't know about right now is how much cheaper PC games are compared to consoles games. I've bought about ~220 games for PC for under $500 and my library is filled with AAA games. You'd be lucky to get 10 AAA games for $500 on a console.

The startup on PC can be a little more depending what you want out of you games, but the savings on content in the long run will more than make up for it.
Why is it that triple A titles are $5 3 months after release on a PC?

Lack of interest.

If something is selling well, they don't shovel it off in to a humble bumble package of 6 games for a $1.

PC gaming will remain niche for geeks and adults. Sure it's a cheaper way to play games, but I'd sooner pay more for a better experience.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3371 posts
1110 upvotes
BC
Piro21 wrote: everything is backwards compatible back to the 80s,
Nice try, but no. Most windows games can broken by upgrading to different versions of windows and new hardware breaks game compatibility all the time. Virtualization/emulation is at best a gamble as well.

I have a shelf full of pc games I want to play, but I can't anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8825 posts
5864 upvotes
Toronto
raspeed wrote: Why is it that triple A titles are $5 3 months after release on a PC?

Lack of interest.

If something is selling well, they don't shovel it off in to a humble bumble package of 6 games for a $1.

PC gaming will remain niche for geeks and adults. Sure it's a cheaper way to play games, but I'd sooner pay more for a better experience.
$5 is a bit of an exaggeration. Titanfall and Stick of Truth are still at least $40 on sale and higher regular price last I checked.

The price drops have more to do with not having a single mega corporation in control of the publishers while artificially inflating the prices of the games at the handful of retailers that are allowed to carry them. PC gamers can afford to be picky with how much they pay for games because there's actual competition in digital delivery and freedom of choice in where we can buy our games from. The developers also don't have to pay royalties to said megacorp for allowing them to publish on the platform. That's why PC games are cheaper.

If there's lack of interest then why does PC continue to get the definitive best versions of all AAA multiplatform games in the past year? Titanfall, AC4, SC Blacklist, BF4, Tomb Raider, Metro LL, Crysis 3, ect, are all AAA titles that are simply better on PC and that list is growing every month. I'm not sure what you consider a "better experience" but for me, playing the mentioned games in 720p or 1080p with a struggling framerate is not better.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
258 upvotes
Ren wrote: Nice try, but no. Most windows games can broken by upgrading to different versions of windows and new hardware breaks game compatibility all the time. Virtualization/emulation is at best a gamble as well.

I have a shelf full of pc games I want to play, but I can't anymore.
Which ones?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8825 posts
5864 upvotes
Toronto
DiploDocus wrote: Which ones?
I know you didn't ask me, but I've played Postal 2, Psychonauts, MOH AA and currently Jedi Outcast, all games around 10 years old on Windows 8.1 with no issues. I'm sure they exist but I have yet to find an old game I can't get to run on Win 8 and I'm digging them up all the time.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3371 posts
1110 upvotes
BC
Mechwarrior 1, 2 and 3 with its 5 expansions. Mechcommander, sim copter my disc copies of ff8 and ff7 are just some of the games I'm looking at on my shelf.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
258 upvotes
Ren wrote: Mechwarrior 1, 2 and 3 with its 5 expansions. Mechcommander, sim copter my disc copies of ff8 and ff7 are just some of the games I'm looking at on my shelf.

Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3371 posts
1110 upvotes
BC
Did you actually try to these or just hastily google something. They may load or run, but their game breakingly buggy and often times you can't complete the campaign.

The point is if you want to play a console game from the 80's you just plug it in. You'd don't need some guide that makes the game kind of work, but not really.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
258 upvotes
Ren wrote: Did you actually try to these or just hastily google something. They may load or run, but their game breakingly buggy and often times you can't complete the campaign.

The point is if you want to play a console game from the 80's you just plug it in. You'd don't need some guide that makes the game kind of work, but not really.
I don't own those particular games but I do still run and play older PC titles like Tribes 1 (needed an updated file to play) and NBA Live 99 (runs fine on Windows 7 but I also can run it in VMWARE), all PC games will run forever basically just have to tinker around a bit more to get them working and they do REALLY work.

Also emulators on PC allow you to run Arcade games, older console system games near perfect, even better most of the time.