Expired Offers

Locked: Digital Version of Toronto Star $1 A Week For 6 Months

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2020 12:03 am
Newbie
Apr 13, 2009
46 posts
32 upvotes
DaVibe wrote: You tell me if this is a good deal or not, I'm just passing along the information. Clicked on an article and this came up.

Screenshot_20200406-185840.png.

https://www.thestar.com/express-checkou ... 6-low-prop
It's a good price but like others have said the content is questionable. They are pretty negative.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1027 posts
478 upvotes
Toronto
A lot of libraries will allow you access to the digital version on PressReader.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 10, 2006
2411 posts
2311 upvotes
Toronto
Content is weak as others have said - most of the non-local content is cut and pasted off the AP & Cision newswires - but worth $1/week for local coverage.
Sr. Member
Mar 2, 2017
912 posts
660 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: Free from the library, digital versions included
How?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
14263 posts
2314 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
sks8100 wrote: How?
PressReader app
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1029 posts
633 upvotes
Toronto
The Star is only good for their investigative reporting (such as on the Sherman murders)
Newbie
Dec 24, 2018
63 posts
41 upvotes
Wouldn't recommend the Toronto Star. I always have a part showing up in my Google News, and it is clickbait-ish.
Like those articles where they feature people and their financial situation. How can someone own and having paid off a condo with 26years of age and only making $45k a year. When you see the financial breakdown, then you realize these "exemplary" millennials had the Bank of Mama/Papa as support; otherwise how would you end up with $240 per month only for car insurance and gas? And how paid the car in the beginning? You can only accumulate that money if you live rent free your whole life with your parents (in that case until 24), which is not mentioned in the article.

Boom, clickbait article together; like those "Secrets casino owners won't tell you" links....
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 15, 2004
1148 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
what's the recommendation for a non bias newspaper that isn't right wing bull that propagates right-wing bias and conservative "me first" and "the economy is the only thing that matters" agendas?

PS. i enjoy how we can turn a newspaper thread/deal into someone's anti-liberal agenda without offering "options" that aren't strictly on the other side of the spectrum. it's like telling ppl not to read the Toronto Star, but rely on Fox News instead.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
1618 posts
1389 upvotes
Whitby
Spoiler all articles are covid and freely available all over the internet. PASS
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 8, 2007
8395 posts
8841 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
kid_icarus wrote: what's the recommendation for a non bias newspaper that isn't right wing bull that propagates right-wing bias and conservative "me first" and "the economy is the only thing that matters" agendas?

PS. i enjoy how we can turn a newspaper thread/deal into someone's anti-liberal agenda without offering "options" that aren't strictly on the other side of the spectrum. it's like telling ppl not to read the Toronto Star, but rely on Fox News instead.
Considering the vitriol the Star spews at the "other side" and using the virus to fuel that division. They and their readers should be able to take what they give out.
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 15, 2004
1148 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
cartfan123 wrote: Considering the vitriol the Star spews at the "other side" and using the virus to fuel that division. They and their readers should be able to take what they give out.
that's not even my question. my question is what newspaper or news outlet is completely non-bias. I want options and suggestions for someone who can clearly tell me that themselves are not biased, can suggest. If people here want to be "helpful" about providing RFD users with an opportunity to find "reliable-non partisan" news, they should do so versus simply spewing empty "state the obvious" comments about the Star being left-wing and the obvious the Sun being right-wing. Many people already know that.

So what's the suggestion?
Sr. Member
Aug 16, 2015
787 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kid_icarus wrote: that's not even my question. my question is what newspaper or news outlet is completely non-bias. I want options and suggestions for someone who can clearly tell me that themselves are not biased, can suggest. If people here want to be "helpful" about providing RFD users with an opportunity to find "reliable-non partisan" news, they should do so versus simply spewing empty "state the obvious" comments about the Star being left-wing and the obvious the Sun being right-wing. Many people already know that.

So what's the suggestion?
Unfortunately there is no neutrality or lack of bias in any reporting that I am aware of. They are all skewed in one way or another consciously or subconsciously - even assuming they have the correct facts (which is also rarely the case).
Sr. Member
Aug 23, 2012
994 posts
658 upvotes
Everywhere
I believe they were one of the few papers to endorse the liberals in 2015. make of that what you will.
Sr. Member
May 7, 2012
936 posts
410 upvotes
georgep wrote: Unfortunately there is no neutrality or lack of bias in any reporting that I am aware of. They are all skewed in one way or another consciously or subconsciously - even assuming they have the correct facts (which is also rarely the case).
This.

Follow the money and the agenda and bias are revealed

Top