Shopping Discussion

Dilemma on an Amazon 3rd Party Order..

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2020 9:08 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Dec 28, 2014
118 posts
20 upvotes
Victoria, BC

Dilemma on an Amazon 3rd Party Order..

Hi everyone, so i have a dilemma on an order i made through a 3rd party seller on amazon.

I bought an item way back on February 16th and it said it wouldn't get here until April 1st since it was coming from the netherlands

But then of course COVID-19 hit and all shipping orders were way delayed but i thought it would at least get here by that date...so when it didn't arrive on April 1st, i asked the seller if they had a tracking number so i can track where it is but he didn't bother to answer that and just asked if i'd like a refund instead cause he thinks it may have been lost so i assume he didn't have a number and i just accepted the refund.

now 21 days later, that package arrived and canada post just dropped it off the door and i don't know what to do..should i message to tell him it arrived and offer to pay him back somehow? it wasn't anything big, just a 20 dollar item.
11 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
13548 posts
8512 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
What do you think is the right thing to do?
mdb1983 wrote: Hi everyone, so i have a dilemma on an order i made through a 3rd party seller on amazon.

I bought an item way back on February 16th and it said it wouldn't get here until April 1st since it was coming from the netherlands

But then of course COVID-19 hit and all shipping orders were way delayed but i thought it would at least get here by that date...so when it didn't arrive on April 1st, i asked the seller if they had a tracking number so i can track where it is but he didn't bother to answer that and just asked if i'd like a refund instead cause he thinks it may have been lost so i assume he didn't have a number and i just accepted the refund.

now 21 days later, that package arrived and canada post just dropped it off the door and i don't know what to do..should i message to tell him it arrived and offer to pay him back somehow? it wasn't anything big, just a 20 dollar item.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
2323 posts
472 upvotes
Thornhill
mdb1983 wrote: Hi everyone, so i have a dilemma on an order i made through a 3rd party seller on amazon.

I bought an item way back on February 16th and it said it wouldn't get here until April 1st since it was coming from the netherlands

But then of course COVID-19 hit and all shipping orders were way delayed but i thought it would at least get here by that date...so when it didn't arrive on April 1st, i asked the seller if they had a tracking number so i can track where it is but he didn't bother to answer that and just asked if i'd like a refund instead cause he thinks it may have been lost so i assume he didn't have a number and i just accepted the refund.

now 21 days later, that package arrived and canada post just dropped it off the door and i don't know what to do..should i message to tell him it arrived and offer to pay him back somehow? it wasn't anything big, just a 20 dollar item.
seems to me you know what to do.
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Dec 28, 2014
118 posts
20 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Bencherstyle wrote: seems to me you know what to do.
yeah i guess i should message him to tell him. i just don't know how i can offer to them pay back cause with ebay they use paypal and i can send back a money order
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2045 posts
1293 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1239 posts
100 upvotes
Beamsville
mdb1983 wrote: now 21 days later, that package arrived and canada post just dropped it off the door and i don't know what to do..should i message to tell him it arrived and offer to pay him back somehow? it wasn't anything big, just a 20 dollar item.
Why would you even need to ask this? seriously send him the money with a message saying basically hey order number XXXX finally arrived, thanks your product is great.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
1557 posts
363 upvotes
I would message the seller, offer to pay and see what they say. If they decline for whatever reason then you can feel good about the effort you made.
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Dec 28, 2014
118 posts
20 upvotes
Victoria, BC
woobie wrote: Why would you even need to ask this? seriously send him the money with a message saying basically hey order number XXXX finally arrived, thanks your product is great.
is there a way on amazon where you can send money payments to a seller? with paypal i would need their email but i'd have to ask them.

i guess i can just return it back to sender at the post office too
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Dec 28, 2014
118 posts
20 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Squeeky wrote: I would message the seller, offer to pay and see what they say. If they decline for whatever reason then you can feel good about the effort you made.
yeah i just messaged them. i wish they had given me a tracking number so i would have known it was still in canada and didn't have to wait it out this long...
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18463 posts
26469 upvotes
ONTARIO
This happened to me with an AliExpress seller before.

The seller said okay I can give you a refund, but if you eventually receive the item can you send back the funds?
So I said sure and asked where to send the funds to. We agreed if I got it, I would just make another order for the same item and include a note about the issue so they'd just mark it as ship but not send me anything.

A month later I received the original item! I remembered what we talked about, so I made a new order for the same item and left a note in the instructions so they wouldn't ship anything. They marked the order as shipped and I forgot about it. Until 2 months later when I received the SECOND order :facepalm:

At that point I was like okay whatever, I'm not going to bother anymore. I already tried to give the money back. The item was only valued at like $10 anyway so I didn't feel too bad.
Newbie
Nov 29, 2019
70 posts
59 upvotes
mdb1983 wrote: i just don't know how i can offer to them pay back cause with ebay they use paypal and i can send back a money order
FYI, sending a money order internationally is bit tricky. I sent one to the country where the money order wasn't common and the recipient had a hard time converting it to the local currency when he tried cash it.
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Dec 28, 2014
118 posts
20 upvotes
Victoria, BC
BobSagget wrote: This happened to me with an AliExpress seller before.

The seller said okay I can give you a refund, but if you eventually receive the item can you send back the funds?
So I said sure and asked where to send the funds to. We agreed if I got it, I would just make another order for the same item and include a note about the issue so they'd just mark it as ship but not send me anything.
A month later I received the original item! I remembered what we talked about, so I made a new order for the same item and left a note in the instructions so they wouldn't ship anything. They marked the order as shipped and I forgot about it. Until 2 months later when I received the SECOND order :facepalm:

At that point I was like okay whatever, I'm not going to bother anymore. I already tried to give the money back. The item was only valued at like $10 anyway so I didn't feel too bad.
yeah, i got in contact with the guy and he said i'd have to ask customer service about sending the money order back to him.

i did the amazon customer care chat and they were really nice about it. they said it was possible to resend the money through the phone but it wasn't available now so they said out of a goodwill gesture that they will pay the $20 to him for me since the package was almost a month late. i was kind of surprised by that but maybe the amount was small enough that they thought it be easier if they paid it out.

i'm gonna wait much longer now for orders to come if there's no tracking cause everything's gonna get backed up now cause of covid-19

Top