• Feb 24th, 2008 5:22 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 9, 2007
92 posts

Diners Club Canada

Hi guys,

Does anyone here have a Diners Club Canada rewards card? I am interested in getting it as it appears to be one of the best cards out there but I have some questions regarding point conversions.

Not sure if their Canadian site is old or not but according to it Canadian customers are disadvantaged when converting Diners Club points into hotel point programs. We pay CAN 2,250 points vs US 1,250 points. also 1 point = $1 of spending . So our $ is being valued less for some reason.

Canadian Site : http://tinyurl.com/36sdsp
US Site: http://tinyurl.com/2t2bo3

Anyway, just checking to see if any members here have any comments on this and their view on the card in general.

thanks
6 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19191 posts
1686 upvotes
jimb wrote: Hi guys,

Does anyone here have a Diners Club Canada rewards card? I am interested in getting it as it appears to be one of the best cards out there but I have some questions regarding point conversions.

Not sure if their Canadian site is old or not but according to it Canadian customers are disadvantaged when converting Diners Club points into hotel point programs. We pay CAN 2,250 points vs US 1,250 points. also 1 point = $1 of spending . So our $ is being valued less for some reason.

Canadian Site : http://tinyurl.com/36sdsp
US Site: http://tinyurl.com/2t2bo3

Anyway, just checking to see if any members here have any comments on this and their view on the card in general.

thanks
A friend of mine has this card. It has gone downhill recently - when they gave you access to the Air Canada lounges, it was an awesome card.

It is IMO inferior to the Starwood Preferred Guest card from MBNA and other cards as well, at least WRT points earnings - when you do the math on the points exchanges you get a less percentage than if you had just used the original merchant's card.

Like, 750 SPG points costs a whopping 2,250 Diner's points, or $2250 spent. It would only cost me $750 spent if I had the MBNA card and reached any of the bonus levels, which is pretty easy to do.

The best benefit of the Dinar's club card though is the first class BA companion ticket. If you can make use of this it is a good perk - but when you take into account you have to pay FULL fare it is not always that good a deal. You also *DO* still get access to some worldwide loungers, but lots require fees and none are in Canada. The travel insurance is the best available for a no-fee card in Canada I think.

EDIT: Actually - after browsing around the site, I found this: Tailored Tickets:

https://www.citibank.com/dinersus/jsp/c ... y=2ed996b9

Works like Avion - they buy the tickets for you, no seat restrictions. This is a much better deal - for example the Long-Haul: Canada/United States ticket is up to 3.75% benefit. Not too shabby at all. But, if you're going to pay $99 annual fee - why not just get Avion in the first place.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
[OP]
Apr 9, 2007
92 posts
only thing that attracted me to diners what the wide array of options they have for using the points. Transferring points to starwood, marriot, hyatt and hilton hotels was extremely appealing (before i saw the Canadian conversions). I dont plan to use the BA companion ticket at all really, the tailored ticket does sound more interesting though.

Starwood Preferred Guest is a great card as well but focused on their own chain. I dont want to be tied down to their hotels. Also, i just checked the card out and says: 1 starwood point per 2CAN spent; while diners is 1 pont per 1CAN.

750 SPG points in this case costs : 1500 spent on SPG and 2250 spent on diners
still better off with SPG though.

are you aware on the redemption rules for SPG? how many yrs can we go without redeeming points?
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19191 posts
1686 upvotes
jimb wrote: Starwood Preferred Guest is a great card as well but focused on their own chain. I dont want to be tied down to their hotels.
You can trade the points at better than 1:1 rates with pretty much any airline in the world. For example, 20,000 SPG points gets you 25,000 airline miles.
Also, i just checked the card out and says: 1 starwood point per 2CAN spent; while diners is 1 pont per 1CAN.

750 SPG points in this case costs : 1500 spent on SPG and 2250 spent on diners
still better off with SPG though.
Read further. With SPG you get 5K bonus points when you spend 10, 20, or 30 K / year, which makes it 1:1
are you aware on the redemption rules for SPG? how many yrs can we go without redeeming points?
Points never expire as long as there has been earning or redemption activity in the past year. So if you quit the card, all you need to do to keep points active is like charge a $1.00 cup of coffee.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
[OP]
Apr 9, 2007
92 posts
thanks for the input and yes, true the bonus points make it almost 1-1.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19191 posts
1686 upvotes
BTW someone should move this to Personal Finance...
[OP]
Apr 9, 2007
92 posts
didnt notice the personal finance section. how would i move it there?