None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge

diper geanie worth it?

wife picked up da diper geanie the other day, r those really worth it? or should i just get a step can?
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7140 posts
4054 upvotes
Ottawa
They definitely prevent odour a lot more and it's a pretty convenient system but you certainly don't need it.

My wife keep ours pretty long after the kids were out of diapers just cause she liked it more than a regular garbage.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1147 posts
530 upvotes
York Region
Yeah, they are worth it for the convenience. Don't get the cheap bags for it because they won't prevent odor. Stick with the expensive diaper genie brand bags.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25154 posts
2330 upvotes
Markham, ON
yes worth it...at the end of the day...it saves time...especially in the middle of the night changes.

for both child we used about 2 years for each. It's about 9-12 containers worth per child.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1687 posts
709 upvotes
Toronto
We had 2 given to us but don't use it. For the 2 kids, we've always just throw it into a bag and then into the compost bin. Not too much extra work for us.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7674 posts
907 upvotes
Toronto
Never saw the point for us... bagged used diapers are out to the green bin within 6 hours. Let the raccoons deal with the odour. We haven't had #2 issues at night yet.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1476 posts
526 upvotes
Ottawa
We live in a city where you cannot put diaper into the green bin so for us it was worth it.

However we never buy the refill. When it is garage day I just untie the knot at the bottom and dump everything into a regular bag along with other garbage.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1579 upvotes
Worked well for us with 3 kids. All personal choice really.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1525 posts
1069 upvotes
Ripley
4 kids plus home daycare. Never saw the need. Solids get flushed down the toilet. Nasty diapers were put in a bag before being put in the regular garbage. Flushing the solids made a huge difference.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12855 posts
2957 upvotes
Toronto
We don't really use it. It fills up quick. Once in awhile is ok to throw stinky poo. But we find it better to just toss it in a bag in a can in a bag outside the room. Then into the green bin.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16798 posts
2464 upvotes
Stronzo1 wrote: wife picked up da diper geanie the other day, r those really worth it? or should i just get a step can?
It's pointless - we just use a step can + grocery bags. Fold your diapers properly so that the poo is inside. If you're really sensitive to smell, bag each diaper individually.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7727 posts
1193 upvotes
GTA
We used it for about 6 months. We thought the replacement bags were way too expensive. So, we used regular bags for a while but that doesn't help with the odour. Now we just have a garbage can outside the front door and as soon as we change a diaper, we put it directly in the garbage outside.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15164 posts
6727 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Totally worth it... you can keep them up for hours like this...

Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2083 posts
5336 upvotes
Vancouver
I bought an Ubbi pail instead of the DiaperGenie: http://thenightlight.com/the-best-diaper-pail/
- higher initial cost (about $80), but
- it looks better, and
- it works with any bags so no expensive refills required (I bought a huge box of kitchen bags at Costco that will last forever)

So far (2 months in), so good. Contains smells and I don't have to stress over expensive proprietary refills. I live in a high rise condo so it's definitely a MUST for me: throwing out the garbage means leaving my unit, waiting for the elevator, travelling 30+ floors down, walking to the garbage room, waiting for the elevator, travelling 30+ floors up.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8580 posts
926 upvotes
Scarborough
No need here, I have a 6 months old boy now. For the nasty diapers, we just throw to the green bin right away.
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11093 posts
5988 upvotes
Toronto
we grew up without it.. personally, unless it was gifted.. I don't see the necessary need for it
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1681 posts
1171 upvotes
Toronto
bought it in US Walmart for $20, the essential one, not the Elite "step" one

Essential Genie holds odour better than the Elite, and the Elite tends to break down easy, because of it's stepping mechanism.

we prefer the walmart bag over the OEM bags, as walmart bags stretches better so that i can stuff more diaper in
one pail.

however, now that i see many prefer to flush the solid first to save space, i may want to give it a try, and save space.

i keep my diaper genie in the washroom next to the baby's room.

no smell, and odour in the room, only unless u open it to change bag
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2568 posts
2368 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
I would not go with the Genie because of the cost for refills. I used the diaper champ. You could you plastic shopping bags, so no cost I. Refills. There may better ones out there, but this was the best value at the time.