Diploma of Psychology / Counselling / or Similar

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2021 9:05 pm
[OP]
Nov 3, 2008
116 posts
164 upvotes

Diploma of Psychology / Counselling / or Similar

Looking at a career change and psychology is something that has always peeked my interest. I know that psychology is a broad field, but I'm looking at the "lower hanging fruit" because I'm not wanting to be a highly paid psychiatrist but rather be well enough educated (and qualified) to work in my community where there's need.

This course pretty much looks like the thing...

https://www.counsellortraining.com/diploma-in-counselling.php

... but its ratio of time/cost doesn't fit into my current situation. But let me give them a shout-out for being great at being upfront about time/cost and quick to answer my questions!

When I web search I find lots of certificate courses but I feel like they're "fruit on the ground" instead of "low hanging but still on the branch". I'm NOT putting down certificate courses, but since I have zero psychology education I think I need something more robust.

When I web search for diplomas I find lots of vague offerings from different institutions, but it's very difficult to nail down what it really costs and what the real time commitment will be. Universities tend to be awesome at glossy photos of students cheerfully strolling through the campus, but terrible at actually giving you clear and concise information on anything. Everything is "meet with an advisor" which to me is as grating as when car dealerships put "please call for price".

So I'm looking for advice regarding...

Certificates - Am I wrong and getting a certificate(s) would be just as useful to me?
Diplomas - Anyone taken a diploma course in the field and can give me some "real world" insight regarding cost and time?

Thanks in advance!
2 replies
Oct 16, 2013
253 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto, ON
drjohnnyfever wrote: but rather be well enough educated (and qualified) to work in my community where there's need.
I think it depends on where you want to work. If the place you want to help requires you to be registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario, then I believe the minimum education is a Master's.

I would check with a couple of places you want to work with to get a sense of what the academic requirements are.
---
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in."
Oct 16, 2013
253 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I checked with a friend who is a clinical psychologist and his advice was to check this link
https://www.crpo.ca/education-programs/

So whatever you decide to take, it should meet the minimum requirements. He also said that you could, technically, get away without registering with the college, but clients would not be protected. Meaning if the client is unhappy or something inappropriate has happened, there isn't a college that they can report to.
---
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in."