Direct flights from Toronto to Maui, Hawaii to start in December

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2021 3:31 am
[OP]
Nov 19, 2020
60 posts
700 upvotes

Direct flights from Toronto to Maui, Hawaii to start in December

Air Canada has announced they will be offering direct flights from Toronto to Maui, Hawaii starting in December, for the first time.

Toronto to Honolulu (HNL) service will also resume in December.

Price is less than $700 round trip. Link

In years gone by, Air Canada's direct flights from YYZ to Honolulu have been available in the $500s roundtrip. It's hard to say what will happen this year, as Hawaii will be one of the safest bets for travel, and likely in higher demand than usual, being one of the most vaccinated locations in the world.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1631 posts
832 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I am not against Hawaii and I've been there many times when I lived in BC. But for such a long trip in Y, it may be easier just go south - assuming it is safe for some islands.

So many people transferred last year's booking to this xmas. many hotels in HI that normally charge $300-400 bucks a night are well over $2000.
Jul 30, 2015
801 posts
756 upvotes
ericw wrote: I am not against Hawaii and I've been there many times when I lived in BC. But for such a long trip in Y, it may be easier just go south - assuming it is safe for some islands.

So many people transferred last year's booking to this xmas. many hotels in HI that normally charge $300-400 bucks a night are well over $2000.
Yes but Hawaii and south are two different worlds... if all you need is an all inclusive resort and sun, then yes you might be better in the Caribbean/Mexico
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Banned
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
339 upvotes
Moderators lick khun…
Latitude57 wrote: Yes but Hawaii and south are two different worlds... if all you need is an all inclusive resort and sun, then yes you might be better in the Caribbean/Mexico
Yah. I'm with the other poster. Hawaii is murika so yes, totally different worlds. Beaches, ok but winter waves can be a little high. Way better sand and beaches in Caribbean. Also, Hawaii has had an ever increasing hostility of locals to hollies. Maui is burning as crap. I'd only go to the concrete jungle and even then, Miami is closer. I guess for a one time visit, sure, but 10 hours non stop. And ya, fare is a loss leader. Nightly costs huge that time of year in non pandemic pent up demand times
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9593 posts
1563 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Latitude57 wrote: Yes but Hawaii and south are two different worlds... if all you need is an all inclusive resort and sun, then yes you might be better in the Caribbean/Mexico
Yeah to me Hawaii's main appeal is the volcano national park and some of their vistas. I agree if all you want is beaches and warm weather, Mexico or Cuba are much better bets.

I mean more options doesn't hurt but it's definitely a long trip.
Banned
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
339 upvotes
Moderators lick khun…
uber_shnitz wrote: Yeah to me Hawaii's main appeal is the volcano national park and some of their vistas. I agree if all you want is beaches and warm weather, Mexico or Cuba are much better bets.

I mean more options doesn't hurt but it's definitely a long trip.
Yah. But how many people go to the big island. Although pretty kewl to see snow on muana kea. But again, a pretty long long way to go to see some snow and some liquid hot magma. :-)
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2599 posts
1788 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Hawaii (although popular for all Canadians) was definitely more popular for anyone in Western Canada (BC and Alberta especially). YVR and YYC offered direct flights. Direct flights from YYC or YVR to places like Florida and smaller Caribbean islands were extremely limited and/or required a connection which naturally made Hawaii more popular.

Direct flights to HNL was only offered from YYZ from late 2014 (and pretty limited seasonally and 1-2x a week). The flights did well for the 5-6 months they were offered pre-pandemic and I think OGG will do well. The captive audience in Ontario- Quebec or Eastern Canada was definitely more limited given your options for a quick (and direct) flight to Florida or the smaller Caribbean islands/ Central America.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9593 posts
1563 upvotes
Montreal, QC
XmasTreelights wrote: Yah. But how many people go to the big island. Although pretty kewl to see snow on muana kea. But again, a pretty long long way to go to see some snow and some liquid hot magma. :-)
Well everyone travels for different reasons. Like I said, if all you want is beaches there's definitely better options on the East coast, but Hawaii does have its own charm and set of things going for it, but I agree, it's a long way for East coast people, but like I said, more options is never bad for consumers; gives us an option. Who knows, if the route isn't super popular there might be some cool sales popping up on RFD! :D
May 8, 2012
403 posts
125 upvotes
Ottawa
XmasTreelights wrote: Yah. I'm with the other poster. Hawaii is murika so yes, totally different worlds. Beaches, ok but winter waves can be a little high. Way better sand and beaches in Caribbean. Also, Hawaii has had an ever increasing hostility of locals to hollies. Maui is burning as crap. I'd only go to the concrete jungle and even then, Miami is closer. I guess for a one time visit, sure, but 10 hours non stop. And ya, fare is a loss leader. Nightly costs huge that time of year in non pandemic pent up demand times
LOL what is this comment. Yes hawaii is far if you're from the east coast. But the difference between the Caribbean and Hawaii is night and day.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18759 posts
3097 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote: Hawaii (although popular for all Canadians) was definitely more popular for anyone in Western Canada (BC and Alberta especially). YVR and YYC offered direct flights. Direct flights from YYC or YVR to places like Florida and smaller Caribbean islands were extremely limited and/or required a connection which naturally made Hawaii more popular.
Very true - under normal non-pandemic times, we have direct flights to several airports in Hawaii from both AC and WJ. But we had no direct flights to Miami or FtLauderdale, and only Westjet was flying direct to Orlando. As far as I know, nothing/very little direct to Caribbean Islands. Only Cancun.
Banned
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
339 upvotes
Moderators lick khun…
manu117 wrote: LOL what is this comment. Yes hawaii is far if you're from the east coast. But the difference between the Caribbean and Hawaii is night and day.

Haha. You mean haaviyeee is america.
May 8, 2012
403 posts
125 upvotes
Ottawa
XmasTreelights wrote: Haha. You mean haaviyeee is america.
I guess you just hate America or something? Hawaii has its own culture, you know.
Banned
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
339 upvotes
Moderators lick khun…
manu117 wrote: I guess you just hate America or something? Hawaii has its own culture, you know.
Lately. Yes. I have a huge problem with america and americans. Maybe you should too?

Nah. I've been there a lot. But from Vancouver and if I still lived there, I'd fly there versus the Caribbean but this is a post about a flight from Toronah.

Sure, the locals living in HI have a different culture but the visitors are American through and through.

But if you want to fly 10 hours non stop. Sit in a high density Air Crapita economy seat, have 6 hours of time zone change going and coming home, spend 300 to 500 or more a night in the winter for a very dated condo in Makena (or even more at say kapalua), spend a few hundred a round on golf, a fortune of restaurants although you can load up at Costco for just a beach, be my guest.

But you can do that within a 2 hour flight to MIA for a lot less.

If it is a once in a lifetime and you plan to spend 3 weeks and travel through all the islands and are prepared to drop a wad $$$$$....sure, go for it

But the flight cost is a red herring.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2893 posts
1604 upvotes
Ottawa
This seems like a Covid response. I guess many people will prefer a fully vaccinated back to normal Hawaii to visiting the Caribbean this winter.

In general I agree it's very far for what you get. In December/January it's not even fully tropical weather.