Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
48% Rebate
Expiry:
October 30, 2020
Retailer:
directdial.com
For those looking to set up a homeserver, or small business server, using Windows Server, Redhat, Linux etc., this is an option. 4 bays, gb ethernet, 8gb ram. There are a lot of resources out there on these units:
https://www.servethehome.com/hpe-prolia ... 10-review/
21 replies
Sep 23, 2019
2 posts
7 upvotes
Not a bad little server for the price. Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2777 posts
1757 upvotes
GVRD
This platform doesn't have a lot of computing power, it has Broadcom LAN, Marvell RAID and Opteron CPU to lower the price. The CPU is around Intel Atom C3000 series for those who care.

Running FreeNAS could be a problem due to hardware but Linux or Windows folks should be fine for something I assume to be quiet and power efficient servers. This really beats Synology and QNAP if you are into these kind of stuff.

For probably less money, you can pick up the older used TS140 or newer TS150 that are better suited for FreeNAS use.
Aug 26, 2008
922 posts
455 upvotes
Montreal
I don't really see the point, it's cute but you could build something with new parts for that price. I run a few Linux home servers 24/7 on new hardware or old laptops without any issues, I don't think "server" means much here unless it has > 32GB ECC RAM.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1399 posts
1539 upvotes
This is very inefficient price for a system that only has 8GB of ram and a 6 years old 4 core processor that was considered low end even when it got first release. You can run servers on that, sure, but not much of a server then just run this off a core I5 desktop that probably cost half as much used.
May 19, 2003
393 posts
179 upvotes
davidm wrote: I don't really see the point, it's cute but you could build something with new parts for that price. I run a few Linux home servers 24/7 on new hardware or old laptops without any issues, I don't think "server" means much here unless it has > 32GB ECC RAM.
The point is that HP Enterprise support is available for it, which some business, or managed IT support may require. Not everyone wants to run unsupported, shlepped together hardware.
Aug 26, 2008
922 posts
455 upvotes
Montreal
skyway wrote: The point is that HP Enterprise support is available for it, which some business, or managed IT support may require. Not everyone wants to run unsupported, shlepped together hardware.
Sure, if they would rather save a few $ than have more up to date hardware, my point was more about home server type applications.
Oct 24, 2009
868 posts
815 upvotes
Vancouver
For those looking at this for home/small business, you’ll likely be better off with a Synology/QNAP NAS. A 4-bay x86 based unit will be a little more expensive than this but will be much less hassle to set up/use. Sure it’s fun to tinker but the money you saved is pointless when your spouse/kids complain that something isn’t working.
Jan 17, 2012
460 posts
331 upvotes
Red Deer
I can tell you from experience it is not worth it. It is not powerful enough for much, unless you want to use it as a glorified NAS. The ML30 or M110 are much much better options albeit more $$
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3493 posts
1534 upvotes
Ottawa
These units have been great for home servers for years.. Crazy deal on them recently in us. Missed it my moments. But they're good, suggested them to friends years ago and everyone is still happy.

I'm selling some new in box lenovo rd640 servers that take a whack of 3.5in Lff drives, $300. I can even sell a bunch of never used 4tb in the trays for them. If anyone is looking for a real plex or freenas, openfiler server on Xeon CPUs etc.

Yes you can always spend more money on a bigger badder server, but this microserver maybe enough for most.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3493 posts
1534 upvotes
Ottawa
redflagdealsguy wrote: Is this server a better solution than going cloud-only storage with 1Gbit Fiberline? Our HQ has 20 workstations.

The CPU seems like a crippled excuse for a server, and I'm concerned it would bog-down as a storage-only server.

Thoughts gents? I'm leaning heavily towards cloud-only.
No way for cloud only.. Maybe local replica and sync yea. But actually depends on if you're just accessing flat files like pdf or excel etc occasionally and most of your stuff is web apps or CRM etc.

The CPU on this microserver seems slow but the hp unit that I had recommended was a g7 micro server... So compare that CPU.. As they were all happy.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
18480 posts
21094 upvotes
shylok wrote: No way for cloud only.. Maybe local replica and sync yea. But actually depends on if you're just accessing flat files like pdf or excel etc occasionally and most of your stuff is web apps or CRM etc.

The CPU on this microserver seems slow but the hp unit that I had recommended was a g7 micro server... So compare that CPU.. As they were all happy.
Yes, we're mostly cloud apps, on-premise apps, and flat files. We're not doing video editing or graphic design on our workstations. We don't require 10Gbit cards in our workstations.

The only challenge with some cloud solutions is that they mirror to local drives, requiring the local drives be large enough to cope with the data.

I'm thinking of going:

Cloud Storage (Hot Sync'ed) <=> Local NAS (Hot Sync'ed) <=> HQ Office (20 workstations)

Is this microserver a better alternative to a local NAS solution?
Feb 11, 2019
378 posts
428 upvotes
ON
For those in the market, https://ca.labgopher.com pulls data from a few sources - generally harder to find Canadian based deals that are decent, shipping for servers is always pretty high
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3493 posts
1534 upvotes
Ottawa
redflagdealsguy wrote: Yes, we're mostly cloud apps, on-premise apps, and flat files. We're not doing video editing or graphic design on our workstations. We don't require 10Gbit cards in our workstations.

The only challenge with some cloud solutions is that they mirror to local drives, requiring the local drives be large enough to cope with the data.

I'm thinking of going:

Cloud Storage (Hot Sync'ed) <=> Local NAS (Hot Sync'ed) <=> HQ Office (20 workstations)

Is this microserver a better alternative to a local NAS solution?
You'd need to have a bit more of a robust local Nas. Dual nic, raid 10. And you're ok. Just think what happens if the local Nas dies. What's the fix, how long are you down, and what do your users do in the mean time.

If it was just you, different story. But 20 angry users and possibly negative impact on earnings or productivity... That extra spend on Nas is immediately justified.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
18480 posts
21094 upvotes
shylok wrote: You'd need to have a bit more of a robust local Nas. Dual nic, raid 10. And you're ok. Just think what happens if the local Nas dies. What's the fix, how long are you down, and what do your users do in the mean time.

If it was just you, different story. But 20 angry users and possibly negative impact on earnings or productivity... That extra spend on Nas is immediately justified.
Thank you.

I'm freezing all such investment for now, and I'm going to lean on our local IT expertise and present the outcome I'm looking for... and our budget.

Probably later this summer or early fall, after the shutdown.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16934 posts
1784 upvotes
Thornhill
I have a gen 7 or 8. It has some crappy Celeron CPU. I maxed out the RAM and it’s been a good server for home - media and as back up. I don’t do any transcoding etc. It’s ok running FreeNAS.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3493 posts
1534 upvotes
Ottawa
t3359 wrote: I have a gen 7 or 8. It has some crappy Celeron CPU. I maxed out the RAM and it’s been a good server for home - media and as back up. I don’t do any transcoding etc. It’s ok running FreeNAS.

bjl
Dirty cheap to swap to Xeon now for that box lol Face With Tears Of Joy 20 bucks
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16934 posts
1784 upvotes
Thornhill
shylok wrote: Dirty cheap to swap to Xeon now for that box lol Face With Tears Of Joy 20 bucks
Wow interesting - didn’t even think about it. Thanks

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Jan 14, 2020
61 posts
39 upvotes
t3359 wrote: Wow interesting - didn’t even think about it. Thanks

bjl
Yup, done it. Gen 8 makes it a beautiful xpenology box with the Xeon in it. Barely goes above 10% CPU with Plex feeding 4K over to 2 devices simultaneously.