Disability Tax Credit retroactive payment

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2020 11:18 pm
[OP]
Mar 31, 2020
2 posts

Disability Tax Credit retroactive payment

Good Morning Everyone,
I hope I'm wording this right and can explain the situation correctly. I applied for the DTC for my son and was approved.
I checked my CRA account and it shows I have a credit from January 2019 to March 2020.
When I check where it shows next expected payment date it only shows me receiving the DTC starting this month on with no retroactive payment for the credit. Does anyone know why its not showing up in my expected payments?
Thanks
Laura
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1600 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The CRA has some mysterious "cut off" time, of about a month, before you see changes. If you're not seeing an extra credit at all, note that it's less than one month to April 20th. You might not see any extra money until May 20th instead. And if you missed the cutoff, they haven't calculated that amount yet, so you will not see it in your account.

You didn't say how old your son was or how far back the credit goes. It sounds like it's just from 2019 onward. The CRA will automatically go back three years. Double check the disability tab in your account. Or call on Friday.

If it's going back more than three years, mail a letter to the CRA asking for the Child Disability Benefit going back to year X.
Aug 26, 2013
74 posts
35 upvotes
Oakville
Sorry to say - But the disabled individual (example - me) or their supporting person (in your case - you) don't GET $$$ from being "APPROVED" specifically for the Disability Tax Credit...
Best to re-read the website...
--- https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... redit.html
It says...
--- What is the disability tax credit?
The disability tax credit (DTC) is a non-refundable tax credit that helps persons with disabilities or their supporting persons reduce the amount of income tax they may have to pay. An individual may claim the disability amount once they are eligible for the DTC. This amount includes a supplement for persons under 18 years of age at the end of the year.
The purpose of the DTC is to provide for greater tax equity by allowing some relief for disability costs, since these are unavoidable additional expenses that other taxpayers don’t have to face.
Being eligible for the DTC can open the door to other federal, provincial, or territorial programs such as the registered disability savings plan, the working income tax benefit, and the child disability benefit.
--- Continue reading on the website...

Sorry - Anyway - Hope this helps...
Wishing You - ALL THE BEST - Always and Forever... BIG SMILES... /G
[OP]
Mar 31, 2020
2 posts
I am the supporting person for this individual since he's my 6 year old son, so please don't assume you know when you don't.
Aug 26, 2013
74 posts
35 upvotes
Oakville
Hippomom wrote: I am the supporting person for this individual since he's my 6 year old son, so please don't assume you know when you don't.
I TOTALLY understand Hippomom ... I've been approved for the DTC since 2013 - And am disabled FOR LIFE...
But what YOU don't understand is that you don't get $$$ by being approved for the DTC itself ... It reduces your taxable income ... So you pay less taxes...
Now, being APPROVED for the DTC opens up other doors ... YES ... But the DTC itself reduces the taxable income for either the recipient, or the caregiver...
So, just because you maybe didn't like my answer, don't jump at me PLEASE, when you asked the question, and all I was trying to do was help...

Wishing You and Your Son WELL... BIG SMILES... /G
Last edited by BIGSMILESg on Apr 1st, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1600 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BIGSMILESg wrote: Sorry to say - But the disabled individual (example - me) or their supporting person (in your case - you) don't GET $$$ from being "APPROVED" specifically for the Disability Tax Credit...
I don't think the OP got it wrong. I believe the OP is talking about the Child Disability Benefit, an add-on to the Child Care Benefit, and this requires the Disability Tax Credit. If someone has a disabled child, they can collect both the Disability Tax Credit and this increase to the CCB. The OP is talking about the Child Disability Benefit, which is pretty obvious from the talk of a "monthly" benefit. The OP probably used the wrong term (CDB is pretty obscure).

Hopefully the OP can also claim the Disability Tax Credit. (If they haven't filed 2019 yet, this just became easy.) That can take a long time to collect.