Disappointing Pizza Hut Offer

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2021 4:09 pm
[OP]
Jul 7, 2019
85 posts
143 upvotes

Disappointing Pizza Hut Offer

Anyone else frustrated with the latest version of the Pizza Hut "Five Bucks" offer? You used to have to buy a regular-priced medium pizza and then you could get up to three extra mediums at $5 each.

Now you have to buy a large, but the $5 pizzas are still only mediums. The wording is sneaky: "Buy Any Regular-Priced Large Pizza and Get Your 2nd, 3rd or 4th Medium Pizza for Only $5 Each." By saying "2nd, 3rd, 4th Medium" it implies that the first pizza is also a medium--which it isn't. You have to buy a LARGE in order to get a "second, third, fourth medium pizza". So where's the first medium?

If the offer read that "your second, third, fourth pizza", then they could get away with substituting the medium for the $5 offer. But by suggesting that your second, third and fourth pizzas are somehow equivalent to the first one, the offer is trying to catch consumers not reading closely.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5749 posts
5322 upvotes
Edmonton
So you're telling me that a large company used deceptive language in their marketing? NOOO WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I knew my sham wow's didn't actually absorb 20 times their weight in liquid. Bastards!
[OP]
Jul 7, 2019
85 posts
143 upvotes
It's just that I expect more from the company that brought us the "Ferrari" ad back when the Five Bucks deal first came out. I remember having a huge crush on the actress who played the waitress in the ad when I was growing up.

The problem is that while the deal is great on the surface, the size switcheroo means that competing deals from Domino's are way better value.
Aug 14, 2021
36 posts
46 upvotes
Deal has always been confusing even when it was 4 bucks. Just look at how confused the guys are on the commercial. The lady has to explain everything.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1379 posts
991 upvotes
Etobicoke
TravellingChris wrote: Anyone else frustrated with the latest version of the Pizza Hut "Five Bucks" offer? You used to have to buy a regular-priced medium pizza and then you could get up to three extra mediums at $5 each.

Now you have to buy a large, but the $5 pizzas are still only mediums. The wording is sneaky: "Buy Any Regular-Priced Large Pizza and Get Your 2nd, 3rd or 4th Medium Pizza for Only $5 Each." By saying "2nd, 3rd, 4th Medium" it implies that the first pizza is also a medium--which it isn't. You have to buy a LARGE in order to get a "second, third, fourth medium pizza". So where's the first medium?

If the offer read that "your second, third, fourth pizza", then they could get away with substituting the medium for the $5 offer. But by suggesting that your second, third and fourth pizzas are somehow equivalent to the first one, the offer is trying to catch consumers not reading closely.
It is very clear and not misleading in any way. First pizza (large) is regular price and each additional pizza is $5-will be medium, Not sure how it is misleading

From the Pizzahut.ca website:
"Buy any large pizza and get up to 3 mediums for $5 each"
[OP]
Jul 7, 2019
85 posts
143 upvotes
xxxray wrote: It is very clear and not misleading in any way. First pizza (large) is regular price and each additional pizza is $5-will be medium, Not sure how it is misleading
On the printed circular it's misleading. Again, as the offer refers to "Your 2nd, 3rd and 4th Medium" there would need to be a first MEDIUM pizza for the wording to make any sense. In the offer there is no first medium, the regular-priced first pizza must be a LARGE to qualify.

From the Pizzahut.ca website:
"Buy any large pizza and get up to 3 mediums for $5 each"
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7218 posts
1455 upvotes
Scarborough
make it at home ? or try independent stores near you rather than a big-chain
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5749 posts
5322 upvotes
Edmonton
ToolTimer999 wrote: Deal has always been confusing even when it was 4 bucks. Just look at how confused the guys are on the commercial. The lady has to explain everything.
Damn. I thought for a second there he was going to get the Taj Mahal for $4. Nice try buddy.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7376 posts
1902 upvotes
Toronto
TravellingChris wrote: Anyone else frustrated with the latest version of the Pizza Hut "Five Bucks" offer? You used to have to buy a regular-priced medium pizza and then you could get up to three extra mediums at $5 each.

From the time the promo started years ago, it is already medium. Never heard anyone got a large for $5.
[OP]
Jul 7, 2019
85 posts
143 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: From the time the promo started years ago, it is already medium. Never heard anyone got a large for $5.
I never said that the larges were $5 in the past. I said you used to have to buy a MEDIUM at regular price to get the subsequent medium pizzas at $5 each. Now the first pizza must be a LARGE but the subsequent pizzas are all still medium.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
4300 posts
3272 upvotes
Vancouver
The "wording is sneaky"? LOL. The wording couldn't be more clear.

Customers are limited to three additional $5 pizzas, so it makes sense to word it as "get a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th medium."

Based on your logic, because footlongs are no longer five dollars, Subway could be considered "sneaky."
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
4143 posts
2682 upvotes
Vancouver
Spinner wrote: The "wording is sneaky"? LOL. The wording couldn't be more clear.

Customers are limited to three additional $5 pizzas, so it makes sense to word it as "get a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th medium."

Based on your logic, because footlongs are no longer five dollars, Subway could be considered "sneaky."
The promotion itself is fine.

I think OP just thinks its sneaky because this is a rehash promo that has been going on for a long time but Pizza Hut changed it to "buy large" instead of "buy medium". Given how many times the 5/5/5 promo has occurred, im sure some wouldn't pay attention to the details and as such, the concept could be considered "sneaky" since again this isnt a brand new promo but an existing promo that they changed this cycle but no emphasis was made about this change. Of course being realistic, most companies are "sneaky" like this. Its the same reason toilet paper rolls seem to be decreasing every year or two. The same can be said for lots of common food items (like rice).