• May 3rd, 2021 4:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2244 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Disclosure with insurance company...

Hope cosmic or anyone in the industry can answer this but the new company in switching to has asked for drivers license for everyone in the household even though I said I would be the only driver of the car. Failure to disclose this, is it valid grounds to deny a claim? Again, no one will be driving this car except me personally. I don’t see how this is even relevant.
22 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
28715 posts
9313 upvotes
Hamilton
Why you hiding though?
hated on but respected.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38201 posts
24389 upvotes
Center of Universe
All licensed drivers in the same household must be listed on the policy, unless they have their own insurance or sign an exclusion waiver that they will not drive your vehicle.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3182 posts
1530 upvotes
Somebody who's been around for so long, that is a very strange question to ask...the need to disclose all drivers in your household unless they have their own policy or sign an exclusion waiver is a discussion that comes up all the time since there is always the risk of somebody from the household borrowing your car even for a "quick errand".

yao416 wrote: Why you hiding though?
I agree with this....what's going on?
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
2717 posts
1775 upvotes
Markham
yao416 wrote: Why you hiding though?
Prob to save insurance premiums but def not worth hiding in my mind.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19683 posts
20131 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Waiver or bust.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3055 posts
3432 upvotes
GTA
If you have a significant claim it will be investigated. Not to assist you but for the insurance company to determine how they can get out of paying it.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2576 posts
1321 upvotes
Hometown
Supercooled wrote: Hope cosmic or anyone in the industry can answer this but the new company in switching to has asked for drivers license for everyone in the household even though I said I would be the only driver of the car. Failure to disclose this, is it valid grounds to deny a claim? Again, no one will be driving this car except me personally. I don’t see how this is even relevant.
It is relevant because it has been established in case law EVERYWHERE over and over again. That any person in the same household with a valid driver license has access to all the vehicles. So to deal with it all people with valid driver's licenses must be listed on the policy or excluded.

That being said you are NOT paranoid for feeling that the insurance industry is out to screw you financially. Since in Ontario they are, they always have been and they do it to everybody and they will continue to do so, at each and every opportunity. LOL

This situation you are asking about is just one of them. Which they KNOW people will try to skirt the protocols they have in place. So if you so and they catch you, then they can deny coverage, cancel your policy and make getting insurance in the future cost you double or triple for a minimum of 6 yrs.

In short tell the truth and have any other driver who will cost you money sign the required waiver or pay you the difference. Since not doing so is not just not worth the potential risk of getting caught...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9340 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
All lic'd operators need to be disclosed to the insurance company. even if they have their own insurance, you are still obligated to advise the insurance company this as do the other drivers need to disclose your information to their cmopany. If they refuse to provide this to you, you can let the ins know. Reason the ins company asks this is because each driver has access to your vehicle regardless if you allow them to drive it or not. You can always exclude a driver from your policy.
Supercooled wrote: Hope cosmic or anyone in the industry can answer this but the new company in switching to has asked for drivers license for everyone in the household even though I said I would be the only driver of the car. Failure to disclose this, is it valid grounds to deny a claim? Again, no one will be driving this car except me personally. I don’t see how this is even relevant.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
May 31, 2008
478 posts
861 upvotes
GTA area
COSMIC5 wrote: All lic'd operators need to be disclosed to the insurance company. even if they have their own insurance, you are still obligated to advise the insurance company this as do the other drivers need to disclose your information to their cmopany. If they refuse to provide this to you, you can let the ins know. Reason the ins company asks this is because each driver has access to your vehicle regardless if you allow them to drive it or not. You can always exclude a driver from your policy.
So what you are saying is if he doesn't want to provide the driver's info of others in the house, he can just exclude their names and he's good to go?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6783 posts
4352 upvotes
Toronto
devilsadvocate wrote: So what you are saying is if he doesn't want to provide the driver's info of others in the house, he can just exclude their names and he's good to go?
They sign a waiver to be excluded from OPs insurance policy. And then he's good to go.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2244 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
COSMIC5 wrote: All lic'd operators need to be disclosed to the insurance company. even if they have their own insurance, you are still obligated to advise the insurance company this as do the other drivers need to disclose your information to their cmopany. If they refuse to provide this to you, you can let the ins know. Reason the ins company asks this is because each driver has access to your vehicle regardless if you allow them to drive it or not. You can always exclude a driver from your policy.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm not asking for nefarious reasons, it's because one of the house mate is a bastard and I don't want to talk to them or deal with anything to do with them which was more information than I wanted to disclose but it is what it is.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6783 posts
4352 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote: Thanks for the clarification. I'm not asking for nefarious reasons, it's because one of the house mate is a bastard and I don't want to talk to them or deal with anything to do with them which was more information than I wanted to disclose but it is what it is.
Put in the application that you live in basement or room or suite #. If you live in an apt with someone, apt # 105 - B
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9340 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
if he can get the persons drivers lic number and have them also sign the form
peteryorkuca wrote: They sign a waiver to be excluded from OPs insurance policy. And then he's good to go.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9340 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
yes, you'll need their drivers lic number and have them sign the form along with your signature
devilsadvocate wrote: So what you are saying is if he doesn't want to provide the driver's info of others in the house, he can just exclude their names and he's good to go?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18546 posts
13339 upvotes
Markham
COSMIC5 wrote: yes, you'll need their drivers lic number and have them sign the form along with your signature
What if the housemate doesn't want to cooperate - why should they give you any info or sign anything that has nothing to do with them?

If it's your car and you sign off that there are no other drivers, can't the insurance company just take that and if there's a accident and you're not driving, can't they deny your claim?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9340 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
I'd call your Broker and advise the situation,. A OPCF 28a, excluded drivers form, requires both signatures.. the policy holder and the excluded drivers signatures
gr8dlr wrote: What if the housemate doesn't want to cooperate - why should they give you any info or sign anything that has nothing to do with them?

If it's your car and you sign off that there are no other drivers, can't the insurance company just take that and if there's a accident and you're not driving, can't they deny your claim?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1451 posts
1064 upvotes
Mississauga
asking for curiosity

would the roommate be considered a housemate as they have no relation?
also how does work come into play as I leave my keys on my desk or jacket anyone in the office can grab them and take my car.
May 31, 2008
478 posts
861 upvotes
GTA area
gr8dlr wrote: What if the housemate doesn't want to cooperate - why should they give you any info or sign anything that has nothing to do with them?

True! This exact same thing happened to me many years ago when I was 20. My parents were divorced and I was living with my dad and his girlfriend along with her two sons around my age... none of whom really liked me. The insurance broker I dealt with told me he needed their driver's license info, and needless to say when I asked for it they all looked at me like I was crazy.

They said their insurance company didn't require MY info so why did I need theirs? A good point. I went back to the broker and said I was living in the basement apartment and the tenants didn't want to give me their info. He was eventually able to do it without.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9340 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
Insurance asks "# of lic'd drivers in the household" . I would think anyone at work who takes your keys, it would be considered theft. Insurance companies don't ask "how many lic'd drivers at the work place"
DeletedMemories wrote: asking for curiosity

would the roommate be considered a housemate as they have no relation?
also how does work come into play as I leave my keys on my desk or jacket anyone in the office can grab them and take my car.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)