Discount Brands vs Major Brands - Tower / Network Prioritization

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2013 4:33 pm
Jun 14, 2012
8 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver

Discount Brands vs Major Brands - Tower / Network Prioritization

I just had a interesting chat with a Telus CSR.

My contract is coming up for renewal and I started a conversation with their renewal/loyalty department.
I was interested in having them match a Virgin Mobile Plan ($60 unlimited canada wide w/ 2GB of data, $54 if you bring your own device).

They informed me that discount brands such as Virgin (Bell), Fido (Rogers), and Koodo (Telus) do not get the same network prioritization as the main brands such as Telus, Bell, and Fido. So in instances where call volume on a particular tower (or set or towers in a area) is high calls initiated from a the premium brand (Bell/Telus/Rogers) would have priority over their discount counterparts (Virgin/Koodo/Fido).

Has anybody else heard this or ever tested these claims?

Thanks!
5 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14958 posts
2921 upvotes
Toronto
That is simply not true. All of that is just BS fabricated to upsell you.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
They have to tell you something to make you stay..... IF they were to say it is the same network yet we charge $30 more... Everyone would jump ship
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Once upon a time, Robellus were distinguished by teh fact that they offered better customer service, easier hardware upgrades, and better devices. Now that everyone has the S4 and iphone, no one hands out early upgrades anymore, there is precious little difference between the top brands and their discount sub brands, other than the desire not to be associated with a cartoon wrestler with bad fake spanish accent.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2008
2793 posts
933 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Once upon a time, Robellus were distinguished by teh fact that they offered better customer service, easier hardware upgrades, and better devices. Now that everyone has the S4 and iphone, no one hands out early upgrades anymore, there is precious little difference between the top brands and their discount sub brands, other than the desire not to be associated with a cartoon wrestler with bad fake spanish accent.
How dare you talk about el tabador like that