• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2021 1:07 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12026 posts
4827 upvotes

Discount Grocery - No Frill's higher prices versus FreshCo

I have been a long time No Frills shopper. I would say up until last year I did 90% of my groceries there.

Over the past year or two I have switched to 90% FreshCo. Better and cheaper produce, better weekly specials and better prices on many items I buy regularly.

Have other people noticed this? Are higher prices coming to FreshCo also or is it PC points that force "No frills" to charge more than their name would imply?

#NoFrills #Freshco
26 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19624 posts
6561 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote: Are higher prices coming to FreshCo also or is it PC points that force "No frills" to charge more than their name would imply?
It's because No name went from being a very basic TV ad to suddenly being a lot more fancy (ie ads more costly to produce)
They gotta make their money back somehow.
(There are also some expensive looking No Frills ads on YouTube, but I don't remember seeing them on TV)

Original low cost classic ad:

Recent (more costly to produce, actors and all) ad:

Now compare that to this low cost FreshCo ad, which can be used over and over again, with a simple change to what appears mid screen each week:

I'm actually trying to understand why No Name wasted money on a third actor. Did they really need to add a janitor coming into the room? Now they're paying a third person instead of just two, lol

*Over and over again each week, with rotation between a man and a woman so the ad doesn't seem as repetitive, lol

Last edited by playnicee1 on Aug 15th, 2021 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
May 7, 2008
798 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
I think it's location specific and a matter of preference.

I love the Dufferin Mall No Frills but I also love the Major Mac & Bayview Freshco. Mostly for their Asian and other international goods. Having beer to purchase is a nice bonus.

I often price match one another since Freshco started price matching - so for packaged goods I'm relatively indifferent. Where it really matters is produce and meat. Dufferin Mall No Frills has a great embedded butcher Pavao.

Freshco's game has become a lot stronger - but usually default to No Frills as I collect Optimum points which sometimes really work out for me.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12026 posts
4827 upvotes
antihero wrote: I think it's location specific and a matter of preference.

I love the Dufferin Mall No Frills but I also love the Major Mac & Bayview Freshco. Mostly for their Asian and other international goods. Having beer to purchase is a nice bonus.

I often price match one another since Freshco started price matching - so for packaged goods I'm relatively indifferent. Where it really matters is produce and meat. Dufferin Mall No Frills has a great embedded butcher Pavao.

Freshco's game has become a lot stronger - but usually default to No Frills as I collect Optimum points which sometimes really work out for me.
I feel like the PC Points have to add cost to No Frills operators. I realize grocery prices have gone up but they have definitely risen more at No Frils.

I buy a lot of produce and here are some price differences from last week.

Mini carrot bag --$1.79 at Freshco, $2.19 at No Frills
Celery --$1.99 at Freshco, $2.79 at No Frills
Broccoli Crowns -- $1.49/lb at Freshco, $2.69 at No Frills

I realize sales happen and prices vary but it's almost every fresh produce item that is cheaper.
playnicee1 wrote: I'm actually trying to understand why No Name wasted money on a third actor. Did they really need to add a janitor coming into the room? Now they're paying a third person instead of just two, lol
Not sure adding an actor adds to grocery prices but certainly having TV ads do add to overall cost. That said, I have seen Freshco TV ads also.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5241 posts
3933 upvotes
How does freshco compare to food basics for cost
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4529 posts
1093 upvotes
Toronto
antihero wrote: I love the Dufferin Mall No Frills but I also love the Major Mac & Bayview Freshco. Mostly for their Asian and other international goods. Having beer to purchase is a nice bonus.
Dufferin Mall No Frills sells beer, too.

I occasionally went to the Dufferin / Dupont FreshCo (pre-COVID). I wasn't impressed. The produce was decent, but the selection of everything else wasn't great, and they were always understaffed (colossal lineups).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7173 posts
9145 upvotes
The NORTH
I can only speak to my local no frills but I cannot buy produce there as its never good quality. It always seems to go bad or isn't ripe. RCSS is my go to for produce. Now meat on the other hand, No Frills seems to have the best price locally on meat and its always top notch.

On Price I find No Frills and Food Basics to be the most competitive.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19624 posts
6561 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote: Not sure adding an actor adds to grocery prices but certainly having TV ads do add to overall cost. That said, I have seen Freshco TV ads also.
There's also Basics ads, but, so far, it looks like FreshCo spends a lot less on their TV ads than No Frills, which also seem to show up a lot less often.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19624 posts
6561 upvotes
Toronto
kr0zet wrote: I can only speak to my local no frills but I cannot buy produce there as its never good quality. It always seems to go bad or isn't ripe. RCSS is my go to for produce. Now meat on the other hand, No Frills seems to have the best price locally on meat and its always top notch.

On Price I find No Frills and Food Basics to be the most competitive.
It depends on area. I once visited a No Frills not too far from an RCSS. I swear, any produce not selling fast enough at RCSS is dumped off at No Frills...or at least it seemed that way.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12026 posts
4827 upvotes
evilYoda wrote: How does freshco compare to food basics for cost
I don't shop at Food Basics often so can't be sure. I do know they do not price match though.
JHW wrote: I occasionally went to the Dufferin / Dupont FreshCo (pre-COVID). I wasn't impressed. The produce was decent, but the selection of everything else wasn't great, and they were always understaffed (colossal lineups).
I think store selection and quality varies a bit - I'm only looking at prices.
Nov 17, 2007
148 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Big bug bear I have with No Frills is that they often do not have advertised specials available. Case in point, this week they were supposed to have canning jars, but when I went out at opening, both stores in town had none. Owner of the second store told me that they received a memo from head office that none were available. This happens far too often for my liking, given the cost of gasoline these days, etc.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
I have been shopping more at Freshco because the prices do work out better than No Frills & they are both equally inconvenient to get to.

Freshco in my area has a better deli, especially with assortment & prices of imported cheese, and cheaper produce. Their bakery products are a bit better because they offer more rye, multigrain & natural products rather than candylike sweet bakery with electric icing. No Frills has the better seafood department (including fresh). No Frills has better, more frequent meat & poultry deals but Freshco has corned beef roasts on sale for $3.99/lb throughout the year, not just St. Patrick's Day.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29039 posts
14586 upvotes
Now with frills?
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
I shop where the deals are good for any given week's flyers. I find FB to be the cheapest but I prefer No Frills for the PC brand. I buy a lot of their products so I'm usually at a No Frills at least once a week.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20410 posts
8799 upvotes
Toronto
No Frills has had good deals for the most part. The last few weeks have been poor though.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
No Frills has a good pork chop special this week, $1.97/lb in 6-packs for about $6.00 each, plus white potatoes for $1.97 for 10 lbs. That is what I bought this week.

Also Braeburn Egg Bites are $4.97 + 2,000 pts in-store bonus and there is a $2.00 save.ca coupon for them. Net $2.97 + 2,000 pts.

Also Swiss Chalet ribs for $7.97. Going to bbq those up & made some potato salad for tonight.

Freshco has Cracker Barrel bars or shreds for $4.97 and there is a $3 WUB 2 coupon out now.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12026 posts
4827 upvotes
carmaster wrote: No Frills has had good deals for the most part. The last few weeks have been poor though.
I feel like the last several months have been bad.
lecale wrote: No Frills has a good pork chop special this week, $1.97/lb in 6-packs for about $6.00 each, plus white potatoes for $1.97 for 10 lbs. That is what I bought this week.
I did buy the chops and a few other specials.

I just find regular prices to be higher.
Last edited by kool1 on Aug 14th, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1303 posts
813 upvotes
Robidas Island
Both can pm each other, unless it's their own brand.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10293 posts
3473 upvotes
lecale wrote:

Also Swiss Chalet ribs for $7.97. Going to bbq those up & made some potato salad for tonight.

You mean you are reheating ribs. Swiss chalet ribs are pre cooked.

Why not cook ribs properly from raw
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19624 posts
6561 upvotes
Toronto
slacker1 wrote: This happens far too often for my liking, given the cost of gasoline these days, etc.
Then STOP using gasoline!! Everything I do is by bus. Toronto Transit is the same price whether I ride once or a million times in a month. The same $156! Problem solved.
(I waste money on a taxi on rare occasion, but it's a ton of groceries, more than normal, & rare)