• Apr 5th, 2019 11:36 am
[OP]
Jan 15, 2018
33 posts
1 upvote

Dishwasher Drying Agent - natural

Hi everyone,

Looking for a more safe/natural dishwasher drying agent please

I've read that people have used vinegar & this damages the machine...are there any other alternatives to help your dishwashing machine dry the dishes? I hesitate to use the Finish Jet Dry

Thanks!
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2289 posts
1635 upvotes
SW Ontario
effervescent7000 wrote: Hi everyone,

I've read that people have used vinegar & this damages the machine...are there any other alternatives to help your dishwashing machine dry the dishes? I hesitate to use the Finish Jet Dry

Thanks!
Our old dishwater (Kitchenaid) my wife always used vinegar without any issues, and only replaced it as it was 15 years old.
The new Bosch dishwasher, we have just stuck with using Jet Dry.

If your looking for true natural, good old hand washing and a drying rack can't be beat. :)
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15950 posts
17186 upvotes
Oakville

Thanks!
Where did you hear that vinegar damages washers? I and my parents have always used vinegar. If you look at the ingredients of those special drying agents, it's uses citric acid, which is even stronger than vinegar.

Citric acid is triprotic. This means it produces 3 H+ ions in solution, whereas acetic acid is monoprotic and produces only one.
Both citric and acetic acids are weak acids because they do not ionise completely in solution, while strong acids do. Of course, a weak acid that is monoprotic would still be weaker than a weak acid that is triprotic.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2152 posts
668 upvotes
Montreal
Been using vinegar in my Bosch dishwasher for around 10 years. I don't see how that could cause a problem.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6554 posts
2940 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
engineered wrote: Where did you hear that vinegar damages washers? I and my parents have always used vinegar. If you look at the ingredients of those special drying agents, it's uses citric acid, which is even stronger than vinegar.

Citric acid is triprotic. This means it produces 3 H+ ions in solution, whereas acetic acid is monoprotic and produces only one.
Both citric and acetic acids are weak acids because they do not ionise completely in solution, while strong acids do. Of course, a weak acid that is monoprotic would still be weaker than a weak acid that is triprotic.
Once finish current bottle of Jet dry will use vinegar.

Regular white vinegar?

Just add to same dispenser that add Jet dry to?
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12381 posts
3602 upvotes
GTA

Open dw door for an hour after cycle.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15950 posts
17186 upvotes
Oakville
georvu wrote: Once finish current bottle of Jet dry will use vinegar.

Regular white vinegar?

Just add to same dispenser that add Jet dry to?
Yes, regular white vinegar. Just pour into rinse aide compartment. If your washer ever gets smelly, just pour some extra in there at the start.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2289 posts
1635 upvotes
SW Ontario
engineered wrote: Yes, regular white vinegar. Just pour into rinse aide compartment. If your washer ever gets smelly, just pour some extra in there at the start.
Will have to try that, as the wife would just dump some inside and run a rinse cycle.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2289 posts
1635 upvotes
SW Ontario
Another use for vinegar is as a fabric softener substitute, and no I'm not joking.

We tried it years ago when one of our kids was on chemo treatments and have stuck to using it ever since. There is no smell left behind, no static in the dryer, and no unwanted fragrances.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15950 posts
17186 upvotes
Oakville
Jojo_Madman wrote: Another use for vinegar is as a fabric softener substitute, and no I'm not joking.

We tried it years ago when one of our kids was on chemo treatments and have stuck to using it ever since. There is no smell left behind, no static in the dryer, and no unwanted fragrances.
Neat, didn't know that one.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6554 posts
2940 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
engineered wrote: Yes, regular white vinegar. Just pour into rinse aide compartment. If your washer ever gets smelly, just pour some extra in there at the start.
DW had been turned on for couple of minutes and heard thumping sound from bowl that had to be repositioned... so opened DW, repositioned bowl AND noticed rinse aid compartment was empty SO added some vinegar.

Think this will be first time since original DW run that looking forward to see DW finish its cycle!! :)
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6554 posts
2940 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Kiraly wrote: I've heard that vinegar can cause damage to the rubber hoses inside the machines, which is what has prevented me from using it. Not sure how true this is.
Would think that since it's pretty diluted no damage, hopefully!! The rinse aid like Jet Dry [similar chemical makeup] don't damage.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6554 posts
2940 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Jojo_Madman wrote: Another use for vinegar is as a fabric softener substitute, and no I'm not joking.

Gonna try this as well. Thanks.

Hate using fabric softener as smell too strong.

Only dilemna now is that will have to buy the big vinegar from Costco so can use on fries as well!!

Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2289 posts
1635 upvotes
SW Ontario
georvu wrote: Gonna try this as well. Thanks.

Hate using fabric softener as smell too strong.

Only dilemna now is that will have to buy the big vinegar from Costco so can use on fries as well!!
Use only WHITE vinegar ... I usually fill the fabric softener dispenser with each wash load.
It also stops the waxy film build up on the washer as well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1660 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: Open dw door for an hour after cycle.
+1 I just open the door whenever it's at the dry cycle and leave it overnight to air dry. Seems to do the trick. Plus save energy instead of drying fully.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15950 posts
17186 upvotes
Oakville
Kiraly wrote: I've heard that vinegar can cause damage to the rubber hoses inside the machines, which is what has prevented me from using it. Not sure how true this is.
See my first post. dishwasher-drying-agent-natural-2276473 ... #p30766327
aquariaguy wrote: +1 I just open the door whenever it's at the dry cycle and leave it overnight to air dry. Seems to do the trick. Plus save energy instead of drying fully.
Personally I mostly use the vinegar rinse aide to get cleaner dishes with less spotting. I do open the DW during drying if I'm around.
Aug 19, 2011
67 posts
33 upvotes
Ottawa
My mother in law switched a few years ago & now swears by vinegar as an alternative fabric softener. I haven't the heart to tell her, all of the towels & linen smell like low level cat piss. Its subtle and if you live around it, you probably don't notice it much.. but yeah to visitors it's going to be noticeable.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2006
1235 posts
527 upvotes
Ottawa
Dumb question but do your dishes smell like vinegar after? Or even clothes for those using it in their washing machine?
May 12, 2014
900 posts
534 upvotes
Markham, ON
engman13 wrote: Dumb question but do your dishes smell like vinegar after? Or even clothes for those using it in their washing machine?
I use vinegar in the dishwasher and as a softener and no, the dishes and clothes do not smell like vinegar after.