Home & Garden

Dishwasher leaking and white residue on water inlet and diverter motor - to fix or to replace?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2021 11:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1956 posts
117 upvotes
Vaughan

Dishwasher leaking and white residue on water inlet and diverter motor - to fix or to replace?

We have 5yo KitchenAid KDFE104DSS3 dishwasher and today I noticed a puddle in the basement (luckily not finished).
Removed the dishwasher from under the counter and turned it upside-down - the diverter motor is covered with white residue.
At this point I am not sure if to try to fix it or not to bother?
If to fix - where to start?
Thanks in advance!
Images
  • IMG_0208.jpeg
  • IMG_0207.jpeg
  • IMG_0206.jpeg
  • IMG_0205.jpeg
  • IMG_0204.jpeg
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6928 posts
3177 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Most likely a common Whirlpool part.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17115 posts
7466 upvotes
Having gone through a dishwasher issue myself, I would personally check to make sure it's not caused by something else. If your hot water tank is going it can push "crap" through your lines and cause issues plugging things with a calcium buildup. This clogged our water inlet on the dishwasher, then caused a leak. We noticed our most in outlets that were ONLY hot water (washing machine and dishwasher).

You could take off your washing machine hose to see if the filter is clogged. Easy test to make sure the problem is not going to come back.

I am not an appliance repair person, but just wanted to share some experience and it's always good to know you have solved the root cause.
Sep 12, 2013
146 posts
86 upvotes
Markham
My kitchenaid is leaking after 3 years, got a bosch, much happier
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1956 posts
117 upvotes
Vaughan
Thank you all for your replies, the worst time to get a problem with a dishwasher
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17115 posts
7466 upvotes
fooit wrote: Thank you all for your replies, the worst time to get a problem with a dishwasher
FYI - AMRE looks to be near you (at least on a map, it's in Scarborough) and they have brick and mortar locations. Just thought I'd pass along if you want to save on shipping.

https://www.amresupply.com/locations

This is where I got my inlet valve to replace.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1956 posts
117 upvotes
Vaughan
TrevorK wrote: FYI - AMRE looks to be near you (at least on a map, it's in Scarborough) and they have brick and mortar locations. Just thought I'd pass along if you want to save on shipping.

https://www.amresupply.com/locations

This is where I got my inlet valve to replace.
Good idea, thank you!
I was thinking to place an order at PartSelect.ca but this will actually be faster
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1230 posts
523 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
Mostly these leaks can be easily fixed and the main cause of leaking is the grease along with the water hardness (calcium) and the grease got oxidized and along with calcium it eventually forms Calcium stearate around the seals. Since Calcium stearate does not dissolve to water, and will kept accumulating, eventually your various seals will no longer seal water properly.

This is a common problem for a lot of water appliance failed in Ontario, as even Lake Ontario has pretty hard water, let along other cities that are on well water.

The fix is also simple, grab a strong acid, such as concentrated vinegar and wipe the leaking seal, making sure scrubbing off those white flaky residues (Calcium stearate) off the surface of the rubber seals. Most likely your washer will work as new, been there and done that.

Put a water softener in your home will also drastically reduce the likelihood of appliance failure, especially hydro appliance.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1956 posts
117 upvotes
Vaughan
Thank you for the info, @xuanzh!
Should I replace any of the existing grommets and seals or just to clean the old ones and give them a try?
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1230 posts
523 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
fooit wrote: Thank you for the info, @xuanzh!
Should I replace any of the existing grommets and seals or just to clean the old ones and give them a try?
After scrubbing off the white residues (Calcium stearate) off the various seals of two of my badly leaked dishwashers in my previous and my current home, they all worked perfectly again without a single trace of water leakage. I would suggest clean the old ones and most likely it will stop the leakages, if not, then replace the seals.

Be careful of what you used to scrub, as seals are made of rubber and can be easily damaged and then you would have a *real* leakage problem. I used foam to gently scrub off calcium stearate, and it will take a while even with vinegar.