Home & Garden

Dishwasher Not Cleaning

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2021 3:04 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jan 22, 2012
575 posts
206 upvotes
Bradford

Dishwasher Not Cleaning

I have a whirlpool dishwasher that has worked amazing for the last 4 years.
Recently it isn’t cleaning any of the dishes on the top rack. I have tried cleaning the sprayer, etc. Placed a bowl in the rack and it held water. Seems to be the sprayer one the bottom of the rack?
Any ideas to fix it?
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6047 posts
2677 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Check if the top or middle sprayer (the one underneath the top rack) is working and we'll go from there.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15951 posts
17189 upvotes
Oakville
Take apart the sprayers and drain screens and clean everything out.
Use liquid or powdered soap and fill both bins and use vinegar in the rinse aid. Also run it on sanitize to help clean it out.
Sr. Member
Jul 6, 2010
762 posts
1589 upvotes
Toronto
It might be a chopper issue. This is a good video showing how to access it.



Instead of replacing it, you can try cleaning it (scrape everything off using a butter knife, for example) and see if that helps. Be careful putting the chopper back in, as it needs to line up properly with the arm of the motor so that it can be spun by it.

If the dishwasher works for a couple weeks and then stops cleaning the top rack again, the issue might be the motor that spins the chopper. I had this issue on my dishwasher for a long time...I cleaned out the chopper every week or two. It wasn't broken like the one in the video, but the cleaning of the top rack still worsened several days after each cleaning. I finally ended up replacing the whole pump and motor assembly (bought it on eBay for under $150), and now it works like when it was new.
i am upside down
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2009
1600 posts
292 upvotes
I have had it that there were chucks of debris in the top sprayer bar like chunks of glass, piece of tooth picks.
Member
May 12, 2003
371 posts
237 upvotes
GTA
98.76% its the chopper assembly. Google it.
Topher86 wrote: I have a whirlpool dishwasher that has worked amazing for the last 4 years.
Recently it isn’t cleaning any of the dishes on the top rack. I have tried cleaning the sprayer, etc. Placed a bowl in the rack and it held water. Seems to be the sprayer one the bottom of the rack?
Any ideas to fix it?
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
ssj4_ootaku1 wrote: 98.76% its the chopper assembly. Google it.
Why would it be the chopper unit if only the dishes on the top rack are not cleaned??
I get the chopper can be broken but I do not get how it will stop water from flowing to the top sprayer?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Member
May 12, 2003
371 posts
237 upvotes
GTA
I speak with experience.
Pete_Coach wrote: Why would it be the chopper unit if only the dishes on the top rack are not cleaned??
I get the chopper can be broken but I do not get how it will stop water from flowing to the top sprayer?
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
ssj4_ootaku1 wrote: I speak with experience.
Ok...what is the answer?
"Why would it be the chopper unit if only the dishes on the top rack are not cleaned??" In the video there does not seem to be any water connection to direct the water into the spray arms. I fully understand what the chopper is for...to chop up bits so they can be sent out the drain.....not to get water to the sprayers.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Jan 3rd, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Sr. Member
Mar 24, 2016
966 posts
1476 upvotes
scarborough
rotjong wrote: I have had it that there were chucks of debris in the top sprayer bar like chunks of glass, piece of tooth picks.
Agree,, Also i pulled out little pieces of siren wrap. i guess little pieces were stuck at bottom of dishes
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6047 posts
2677 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
rotjong wrote: I have had it that there were chucks of debris in the top sprayer bar like chunks of glass, piece of tooth picks.
I've seen stringy, fibrous plant material too.

I can see why the German dishwashers use filter baskets instead of choppers.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jan 22, 2012
575 posts
206 upvotes
Bradford
I have the wdta50sahz0 whirlpool and I cannot figure out how to access the chopper?
It also isn’t listed as a part?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6047 posts
2677 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Is the top arm turning? Is it one of those models where water shoots up the central shaft rather than pumped through a duct in the back?
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jan 22, 2012
575 posts
206 upvotes
Bradford
thriftshopper wrote: Is the top arm turning? Is it one of those models where water shoots up the central shaft rather than pumped through a duct in the back?
No it’s bumped through the duct up the back.
I attached a hose to it outside and it spins for sure.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
1963 posts
1943 upvotes
GTA
Topher86 wrote: I have the wdta50sahz0 whirlpool and I cannot figure out how to access the chopper?
It also isn’t listed as a part?
Don't believe your model has a chopper. There should be two filters on the bottom I assume you have cleaned.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6047 posts
2677 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Topher86 wrote: No it’s bumped through the duct up the back.
I attached a hose to it outside and it spins for sure.
So the top arm is getting water, but apparently not enough? I'd check the plumbing for (partial) blockages in that case.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
Topher86 wrote: I have the wdta50sahz0 whirlpool and I cannot figure out how to access the chopper?
It also isn’t listed as a part?
Here is a breakdown parts list and you may be able to check the parts that may interfere or cause low flow problems.
https://www.easyapplianceparts.ca/Advan ... e5EALw_wcB
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.

Top